NFL to extend season to 17 games starting next year

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
This should help to raise the expected salary cap up a bit more than expected due to increased revenue.

I like the move. More football to watch and may help with restructuring a few contracts.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
This should help to raise the expected salary cap up a bit more than expected due to increased revenue.

I like the move. More football to watch and may help with restructuring a few contracts.
Math isn't your strong suit is it..

msadows

Liked Posts:
Shit. Mis-type. Although I’d like 21 games also.

It happens.

21 games is too much. No way the players bodies would hold up to that punishment if you factor in playoff games too. You could play 25 games if you win a superbowl as a wildcard team.....not happenin mah man.

Maybe if they keep making the rules of the sport closer to two hand touch we could see 20+ games in a decade or so.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't like the idea because one of the best things about the NFL is that every game matters. I do not want to see it turn into the NBA where half the teams make the playoffs and it's essentially a 2nd season.

A lot of NBA teams play with no sense of urgency until after the all-star break.

More football ≠ better football. However, the closer the game moves to flag football there will be a push for more games.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Seriously, 17 games, or even 18, nowadays to me isn't too much. They shoulda done 18 and given them an extra bye spaced out.

Nowadays players bodies take a lot less wear than they did even 5 years back thanks to all the rule changes.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I don't like the idea because one of the best things about the NFL is that every game matters. I do not want to see it turn into the NBA where half the teams make the playoffs and it's essentially a 2nd season.

A lot of NBA teams play with no sense of urgency until after the all-star break.

More football ≠ better football

82 vs. 17. Not the same at all.

Also, the majority of your games are still conference and division games.

This won't change anything. Every game will still matter if you want to make the playoffs.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I like it.
With a tie being relatively uncommon, teams are winners or losers.

I don't know why it bugs me so much, but I absolutely hate seeing 8-8 records.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I like it.
With a tie being relatively uncommon, teams are winners or losers.

I don't know why it bugs me so much, but I absolutely hate seeing 8-8 records.

Ehh, I'm not against 8-8. Nearly every other sport has .500 teams get in all the times.

I'm also not against keeping it a 7 team playoff either. It would help out good teams who suffer a critical injury for a few weeks.

Also that 7th playoff spot keeps it super competitive amongst the division leaders till seasons end since there is only one bye to work with now. I like that.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hopefully only 2 pre-season games and they take advantage of the extra game to play a BUNCH of international games and grow the game.

If they aren't doing that they are wasting effort.

IMO...they should decide on internal rotations to limit the number of games played at positions deemed "high attrition" ..maybe even limiting RB's and lineman to 14 games.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I like the idea. 4 preseason games always seemed excessive today. Plus, as I said, it may help with the expected salary cap next year.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
What else comes along with this? Is there a roster size increase? More flexibility with IR/Practice squads etc. Adding another game is more significant than people think.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
Seriously, 17 games, or even 18, nowadays to me isn't too much. They shoulda done 18 and given them an extra bye spaced out.

Nowadays players bodies take a lot less wear than they did even 5 years back thanks to all the rule changes.

they need 2 byes imo