NFL Trends

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It’s crazy to think how often things change in the NFL. Look no further than the 2005 draft. In the first 5 picks, three running backs were taken. In 2021 only 2 RBs were picked in the entire first round. And if the Jags had any resemblance of an actual NFL team, only 1 RB would have been taken.

Remember when Ditka traded an entire draft for Ricky Williams?

This draft was the year of the quarterbacks. I wonder how much longer it will be until another position becomes the most important position in the NFL.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Im with Mike North, you take the 1st Round Kicker.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
It’s crazy to think how often things change in the NFL. Look no further than the 2005 draft. In the first 5 picks, three running backs were taken. In 2021 only 2 RBs were picked in the entire first round. And if the Jags had any resemblance of an actual NFL team, only 1 RB would have been taken.

Remember when Ditka traded an entire draft for Ricky Williams?

This draft was the year of the quarterbacks. I wonder how much longer it will be until another position becomes the most important position in the NFL.
Qb always has and always will be the most important. Other draft trends will likely continuously change. I think WR's will be devalued similar to rb's at some point. Smart teams should be looking DL/EDGE, OL, QB, and CB rd 1 unless they are all filled and have another player that fits need or is BPA. Those positions mentioned are how you win in the NFL today.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The pussification of the NFL makes QBs, OLs, WRs, and TEs (in that order) the most important positions to draft. The QB will be the one to hold on to the ball the most on offense in today's NFL. The NFL rules allow no more bone breaking hitting nor tackling.

In the past RBs were the best athletes because they got the ball the most. Now the best athletes are becoming QBs. WRs, and TEs. Pitts back in the day would've been a versatile RB, like Walter Payton. Now he TE/WR hybrid because of longer duration and higher pay. I don't blame them. Teams are throwing the ball 40-50 times a game.

Also RBs today have to share the carries. No more 3 down back 80% of game. RBs don't last long. Why pay high draft pick for that?

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
The pussification of the NFL makes QBs, OLs, WRs, and TEs (in that order) the most important positions to draft. The QB will be the one to hold on to the ball the most on offense in today's NFL. The NFL rules allow no more bone breaking hitting nor tackling.

In the past RBs were the best athletes because they got the ball the most. Now the best athletes are becoming QBs. WRs, and TEs. Pitts back in the day would've been a versatile RB, like Walter Payton. Now he TE/WR hybrid because of longer duration and higher pay. I don't blame them. Teams are throwing the ball 40-50 times a game.

Also RBs today have to share the carries. No more 3 down back 80% of game. RBs don't last long. Why pay high draft pick for that?
:jonesy:

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

QB, Edge Rusher, CB and then OL

mecha

Liked Posts:
QB, Edge Rusher, CB and then OL
this, if the league is trending more towards pass, you need a counter for it. QB pressures and corners to battle receivers getting balls thrown to them. on the flipside obviously you need strength at quarterback if your emphasis is on passing, but you need linemen to keep them upright. your 2020 Chiefs in the Super Bowl demonstrated this. hard to believe the Bears made efforts to address both in this one draft.

RB isn't an obsolete position by any means, but with how short their shelf life is and how you can score rookie contract talent later in the draft, there's no reason to reach super high for one anymore unless they're like super good. Montgomery being versatile, I think 3rd round wasn't totally stupid. I'm hoping he improves with the upgraded line.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm no expert but I'd say QB, OL then fill in what you need after that....in theory, you can now run or pass with a good QB and a strong OL. Your defense is not on the field as much as you are controlling the clock on offense. Plus your are probably leading more often than not. You'll still need a decent D but you won't need the 85 Bears D to get to the SB.

YoungPA

Liked Posts:

I've been watching football a long time man, never have I seen a 6'6" running back.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
How the flying fuck would Pitts have been a running back? Did I miss something?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
There will always be outliers like Derrick Henry & Adrian Peterson who change the way defenses would like to play, but yes, after QBs it's probably EDGE, OT, and then WR.

Not as much premium on RB and LB these days either.

I was late getting on the idea that RBs role is diminishing, but that lead me to quickly embrace that you don't need 3 or 4 years to see what you got at QB anymore. These guys are better prepared for the NFL, and you should see it in year 2.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Uhhhh. Yeah. Dude.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
People have found RBs in the 3rd round and later. Drafting RBs in the first round now is only when that RB is a very special talent. The day that GMs will consistently find QBs or Edge rushers in the 3rd round or later is the day that people will stop prioritizing those positions in the first round. Until that happens, and the rules change, I will always give priority to a QB, Edge rushers in order to stop the QB, CB/Safety/ILB to intercept all the passes thrown by QBs, and Oline to protect your QB

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Well the last time a position other than quarterback, offensive tackle or edge rusher went first overall was Keyshawn Johnson twenty-five years ago. That said I'm not actually sure there is a ton of merit to this trend. Imagine taking Jadaveon Clowney over Aaron Donald or Jared Goff over DeForest Buckner. Quenton Nelson probably does more for your football team to win games than Baker Mayfield, though that's going to be debated by a lot of people (since there are still people who think Baker Mayfield isn't garbage).

But teams won't stop pushing their chips in on the premium positions any time soon. It is about scarcity and saving money more than anything, the pricetag on left tackles, edge rushers and especially quarterbacks is out of control now. Getting an elite guy at these positions on a rookie contract, even if its first overall, is a massive bargain.