CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I have a feeling this is being spun in the wrong way, and is being used as an easy way to get rid of this official.

Bigbarn27

Liked Posts:
optics seem bad on this one hopefully more comes out about it. Since it happened early maybe make up call from earlier game? I know there has been talk since they went to 2 refs about one maybe trying to make up a bad call from his partner.
Knowing the NHL they will try to sweep this under rug.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I have a feeling this is being spun in the wrong way, and is being used as an easy way to get rid of this official.
I think it's more about he got caught saying it, not that he said it. All refs have made makeup calls of some form. The NHL is pretending this is a move for the integrity of the game, but in reality it doesn't change a single thing except get rid of a ref. I'm not a Peel fan or hater my only problem with this is that they never did this to Walkom.

Bust

Liked Posts:
optics seem bad on this one hopefully more comes out about it. Since it happened early maybe make up call from earlier game? I know there has been talk since they went to 2 refs about one maybe trying to make up a bad call from his partner.
Knowing the NHL they will try to sweep this under rug.

How so? They already announced the repercussions, Oooops

Referee Tim Peel will not work another game in the NHL after getting caught saying he wanted to give the Nashville Predators a penalty in their win over the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday night.

NHL senior executive vice president of hockey operations Colin Campbell made the announcement Wednesday morning, saying that Peel would "no longer be working NHL games now or in the future."

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
How so? They already announced the repercussions, Oooops

Referee Tim Peel will not work another game in the NHL after getting caught saying he wanted to give the Nashville Predators a penalty in their win over the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday night.

NHL senior executive vice president of hockey operations Colin Campbell made the announcement Wednesday morning, saying that Peel would "no longer be working NHL games now or in the future."
I think he means that they are using this as a justification to quickly sweep the issue under the rug and be done with it quickly before it has a bigger stage. This is not the first nor the last time something like this happens.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think it's more about he got caught saying it, not that he said it. All refs have made makeup calls of some form. The NHL is pretending this is a move for the integrity of the game, but in reality it doesn't change a single thing except get rid of a ref. I'm not a Peel fan or hater my only problem with this is that they never did this to Walkom.
Was it a makeup call? I thought it was very early on in the game?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Was it a makeup call? I thought it was very early on in the game?
Maybe, but it can be from a previous game, all sorts of things, it could been him jawing after a whistle or something like that. These guys are only playing in division so they are seeing the same teams and matchups over and over and getting pretty chippy out there.

“It wasn’t much, but I wanted to get a f---ing penalty against Nashville early."

The fact that he said this out load to me shows it's an acceptable practice with refs, he just got caught.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
With sports betting being a huge thing now, the league couldn't keep him around.
Didn't Vegas just get and cancel an official betting parnter within the span of a couple of days or something. It could be that the NHL is trying to make a larger deal and this would impact the optics.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Maybe, but it can be from a previous game, all sorts of things, it could been him jawing after a whistle or something like that. These guys are only playing in division so they are seeing the same teams and matchups over and over and getting pretty chippy out there.

“It wasn’t much, but I wanted to get a f---ing penalty against Nashville early."

The fact that he said this out load to me shows it's an acceptable practice with refs, he just got caught.

I think this is true. There are pros and cons to this, of course. I've always been for refs putting the whistles away come playoff time, but then again, there are others who think it should be consistent throughout the entire year. It seems like Peel wanted to call a penalty on Nash early either because A) he missed an important penalty on them last game B) he called a weak one in Nash's favor last game that he realized shouldn't have been called after the game or C) he wanted to swallow the whistle for the rest of the game for penalties that weren't flagrant.

Either way, he needed to be fired in my view. I think this happens way more often than not and is nothing new, but since he was caught red-handed, it was a no-brainer. It was even easier to just let him go considering Peel was scheduled to retire at the end of the year anyway.

This reminds me of that one ref years ago who told Burrows in the pre-game skate that he was going to call a penalty on him because Burrows dove the game before and made him look bad (the ref called a penalty on the play). Forgot the ref's name now.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I think this is true. There are pros and cons to this, of course. I've always been for refs putting the whistles away come playoff time, but then again, there are others who think it should be consistent throughout the entire year. It seems like Peel wanted to call a penalty on Nash early either because A) he missed an important penalty on them last game B) he called a weak one in Nash's favor last game that he realized shouldn't have been called after the game or C) he wanted to swallow the whistle for the rest of the game for penalties that weren't flagrant.

Either way, he needed to be fired in my view. I think this happens way more often than not and is nothing new, but since he was caught red-handed, it was a no-brainer. It was even easier to just let him go considering Peel was scheduled to retire at the end of the year anyway.

This reminds me of that one ref years ago who told Burrows in the pre-game skate that he was going to call a penalty on him because Burrows dove the game before and made him look bad (the ref called a penalty on the play). Forgot the ref's name now.
There is also a D, and I would have to look up the stats and just don't have time but it's also possible that Nashville has been playing like the complete and total dickheads they are lately and that you can't call everything all the time so he was trying to set the precedent early that he wasn't going to take their bullshit this game and that he wanted them to cool the fuck out. I could see where you know a teams reputation coming into the game, and just want them to know that shit isn't going to fucking fly tonight.

I don't think he needed to be fired, I think he definitely needed a suspension, but again I don't think what he said is very uncommon and they have now set a very awkward precedent for their refs. We've all seen much bigger atrocities from refs that have had actual game changing impacts on who won, and nothing happen to those refs. The only different being they weren't caught on mics.

All this has done is stopped refs from in the future saying anything out loud. And there will be even less communication between them for fear of exposure. It will not stop them from making bad calls. They are going to worry now when they are huddled up trying to make the right call they're going to get caught on mic. In the press release the hard lean by The NHL was to call out the integrity of the game directly which in my mind goes back to the gambling point. Out of left field I think that they are working on some sort of sports betting sponship that their can be zero tolerance for any appearance of impropriety. I wouldn't be suprised if one is announced in the next few weeks and this is pointed to as an example of how the integrity of the game will not get in the way of the sponsorship with LoseAllYourMoneyBettingHockey.com

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Absolutely...anyone who has watched the NHL for a long time is laughing at the NHL pearl-clutching and fainting couch response to this; the NHL has both "penalty matched" and applied a different set of officiating in the reg vs. the playoffs for 30+ years now...

Bigbarn27

Liked Posts:
Peel was set to retire after this year so kind of an easy decision all around.