NHL voting on 24-team tournament

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Given the situation all of pro sports is in, it doesn't really matter to me what they do....it's more about finding out what they have. No better way to find that out than in a playoff environment. Just in case everyone forgot....they are rebuilding.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Maybe it's not an either/or. Maybe they'd love another cup as long as they had other personnel that were both willing and able to chip in so it's not another 2015 scenario where it's the Duncan Keith show.

Yes, I know there are times that the core frustrated me post 2015. But as it stands now is winning a cup means Toews, Kane, Keith and Crawford and maybe Saad doing *all* of the heavy lifting because no one else can step it up to that next level--maybe they just don't want that level of grueling punishment at their ages--the 30min shifts and always needing to catch the elite talent on other squads because no one else can. IMHO that's not so much about life after hockey so much as it's the next generation (i.e. Strome, Debrincat, Dach, etc.) stepping up. This year may not be the year they can--maybe it's a year or two down the road.

Just a thought...
We've seen the core do a tremendous amount of overcompensating for lack of support around them. to the point where they've made many many careers out of supporting characters after they've left the Hawks with a cup. The question is we've seen what that threshold level of talent is that they can only do so much. So while there aren't a lot of great talents around them and the leaders of this team is the level of talent at least high enough that the superstar type players have enough to work with and can raise their level of play to make a true run.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Any word on when this will start yet?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We've seen the core do a tremendous amount of overcompensating for lack of support around them. to the point where they've made many many careers out of supporting characters after they've left the Hawks with a cup. The question is we've seen what that threshold level of talent is that they can only do so much. So while there aren't a lot of great talents around them and the leaders of this team is the level of talent at least high enough that the superstar type players have enough to work with and can raise their level of play to make a true run.
I think it's a bit more complex than simply that. There's no question that Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook and Crawford have spent a season or more carrying lesser players up and down the ice.

The flipside though is the next level of support we've lost that we don't have anymore.

We have no Kruger/Bolland: Bottom-tier centers that can soak up minutes against top squads and not shoot the team in the foot (even if they are black holes offensively).

We have no Hjammer. Murphy might be a good replacement for worn-down chewed-up Hjammer...but he can't hold a candle to prime Hjammer as the guy you put in the backend when you need it locked down.

In a similar vein to Hjammer, we have no Oduya/Sopel--who act as support for the Hjammer-type.

And most obviously...we have no Hossa--probably the biggest loss.

I think one of the salient points of all of our cup wins is the fact that those 2nd-tier guys did indeed do so much for our younger, more virile core guys where they *could* carry guys like Rosival, Hendry, Burish, etc. up and down the ice.

All we got left is Saad in the similar vein.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I think it's a bit more complex than simply that. There's no question that Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook and Crawford have spent a season or more carrying lesser players up and down the ice.

The flipside though is the next level of support we've lost that we don't have anymore.

We have no Kruger/Bolland: Bottom-tier centers that can soak up minutes against top squads and not shoot the team in the foot (even if they are black holes offensively).

We have no Hjammer. Murphy might be a good replacement for worn-down chewed-up Hjammer...but he can't hold a candle to prime Hjammer as the guy you put in the backend when you need it locked down.

In a similar vein to Hjammer, we have no Oduya/Sopel--who act as support for the Hjammer-type.

And most obviously...we have no Hossa--probably the biggest loss.

I think one of the salient points of all of our cup wins is the fact that those 2nd-tier guys did indeed do so much for our younger, more virile core guys where they *could* carry guys like Rosival, Hendry, Burish, etc. up and down the ice.

All we got left is Saad in the similar vein.

I'm glad you mentioned Saad. For starters, I was pumped when we got him back for Panarin -- that's hard to admit now, but I was -- because I thought we were getting the "man-child" we all saw during his first tour of duty. He really didn't look good his first year back, but I feel like he's gradually gotten better -- and this year was probably his best year during his second tour. I feel like he was one of the more consistent Hawks this year next to Kane -- might not be saying much, considering how inconsistent this team has been, but nevertheless.

My point is, it's always been my contention that there are certain players who are made for the playoffs, who might not light it up for the regular season; and there are certain players who light it up during the regular season, only to become no-shows in the playoffs. I feel like Saad is the former, and I'm excited to see him in the playoffs again. Of course, who knows how this long layoff will affect anyone, including Saad.

That's the thing with this team and why Bowman failed so horribly last off-season -- he failed to add depth; and the depth he did add, was damaged goods (de Haan, etc.) or outright shit players (Zack Smith). This team still has way too many unproven/rookie players in roles they are too small for, because Bowman did nothing to add any real depth, except blow money on a 5 million dollar backup he ended up trading at the deadline, an over-priced and damaged Andrew Shaw, and damaged goods in de Haan.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I dont think they are close on finding locations yet. NBA seems to be doing it right at disney world orlando. Why not just grab a hotel in vegas and use their rink? 2 or 3 games a day, wont take long. I cant see teams travelling and needing quarantines getting in a new town.
Canada does not want people there, even though it probably makes more sense.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I'm glad you mentioned Saad. For starters, I was pumped when we got him back for Panarin -- that's hard to admit now, but I was -- because I thought we were getting the "man-child" we all saw during his first tour of duty. He really didn't look good his first year back, but I feel like he's gradually gotten better -- and this year was probably his best year during his second tour. I feel like he was one of the more consistent Hawks this year next to Kane -- might not be saying much, considering how inconsistent this team has been, but nevertheless.

My point is, it's always been my contention that there are certain players who are made for the playoffs, who might not light it up for the regular season; and there are certain players who light it up during the regular season, only to become no-shows in the playoffs. I feel like Saad is the former, and I'm excited to see him in the playoffs again. Of course, who knows how this long layoff will affect anyone, including Saad.

That's the thing with this team and why Bowman failed so horribly last off-season -- he failed to add depth; and the depth he did add, was damaged goods (de Haan, etc.) or outright shit players (Zack Smith). This team still has way too many unproven/rookie players in roles they are too small for, because Bowman did nothing to add any real depth, except blow money on a 5 million dollar backup he ended up trading at the deadline, an over-priced and damaged Andrew Shaw, and damaged goods in de Haan.

We gave up two years of Panarin, a superstar in the making. No more bonus baby dollars cutting into the cap, just for an equal swap one for one, since none of the prospects panned out at all. Two years of Kane and Panarin would have been worth watching him walk away as a free agent.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont think they are close on finding locations yet. NBA seems to be doing it right at disney world orlando. Why not just grab a hotel in vegas and use their rink? 2 or 3 games a day, wont take long. I cant see teams travelling and needing quarantines getting in a new town.
Canada does not want people there, even though it probably makes more sense.

The ice in the Vegas summer heat would probably be shit if 2-3 game a day were played there after a few weeks.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I think we all were excited about Saad back--especially on the D aspect given Hossa's departure. Maybe Saad is better built for the playoffs, but his numbers for CBUS in 2017 weren't that good (Better than all of the 'hawks though...so there's that).

I think the depth--specifically the *right* depth, is one of the hardest things to get right. I also think it doesn't help that Stan appears to have an idea about what he wants the team to be but doesn't get the right personnel to do it--or thinks the core is capable of something they aren't anymore.
We gave up two years of Panarin, a superstar in the making. No more bonus baby dollars cutting into the cap, just for an equal swap one for one, since none of the prospects panned out at all. Two years of Kane and Panarin would have been worth watching him walk away as a free agent.
Or maybe getting a King's ransom for him at the TDL.

2019 is a ? given an injured and ran Crawford and relying on Ward with a lukewarm anal seepage team D but they might make a run or sell at the deadline--and if they sold Panarin would likely have commanded a ton assuming similar numbers.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I think we all were excited about Saad back--especially on the D aspect given Hossa's departure. Maybe Saad is better built for the playoffs, but his numbers for CBUS in 2017 weren't that good (Better than all of the 'hawks though...so there's that).

I think the depth--specifically the *right* depth, is one of the hardest things to get right. I also think it doesn't help that Stan appears to have an idea about what he wants the team to be but doesn't get the right personnel to do it--or thinks the core is capable of something they aren't anymore.

Or maybe getting a King's ransom for him at the TDL.

2019 is a ? given an injured and ran Crawford and relying on Ward with a lukewarm anal seepage team D but they might make a run or sell at the deadline--and if they sold Panarin would likely have commanded a ton assuming similar numbers.

It would have been different if Forsberg panned out where we did not need to get ward, pretty sure we ended up flipping the fifth round pick they got thru the arizona or florida trade. We also gave up Motte and the 6 rounder in 2017, But we basically all new it was a one for one deal.

I doubt if there would have been a kings ransom since they would probably have been in the playoffs. I was more looking forward to Panarin wanting retribution from his first ever NHL playoff showing.

The bigger problem for me was Bowman retracing his steps and going back to get his mistakes. Dont know why he never tried to get the Hammer back. That was the downfall of our D.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Having it in Vegas seems dumb as far as ice-condition is concerned.

I'm still wondering how this will work exactly. Will the Western Conference teams play in Vegas and the East play in Toronto? Or will they alternate cities per round?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Having it in Vegas seems dumb as far as ice-condition is concerned.

I'm still wondering how this will work exactly. Will the Western Conference teams play in Vegas and the East play in Toronto? Or will they alternate cities per round?

I have heard that the western conference teams would play at the eastern conference site. I really do not know why that makes any sense. Part of me think they are just trying to show they want to do something, but ultimately, tests will come back and they will scrap this thing.

No way an ice expert, but pretty sure having an empty arena and no body heat temperature spikes will be easier to cool the space.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
So breaking news, they picked two cities that haven't been picked yet. And just needed the clicks out there.