Nice Video on Outside Zone Blocking

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Brett Kollman put out a video on outside zone blocking. It is a good learning video for people who do not really know what outside zone blocking is.

This goes into the importance of vision to the hole versus the speed. Yeah you want to have speed to stretch the defense but having the ability to read the hole versus just running into a cluttered mess is more important.

Matt Forte was ideal for this scheme because he had the speed to stretch the defense he had the vision to the hole and he had the cutback ability to go with size to break tackles at the line of scrimmage.

Conversely Lovie Smith's one gap defense was very good at defending outside zone because he wanted his defenders to be responsible for one read one gap and for them to attack that gap hard and up the field to disrupt the cutback lanes available. The biggest risk though was always one guy attacking the wrong gap or getting two guys in the same gap which could lead to a big play.

This scheme is why they game has gotten away from the big DTs types like Ted Washington and instead you see more athletic DTs.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hey, how come the same Derps that shit all over your other content aren't giving you Kudos over this piece ?

Come on shitheads give this guy a little justice in the providing content department

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Hey, how come the same Derps that shit all over your other content aren't giving you Kudos over this piece ?

Come on shitheads give this guy a little justice in the providing content department
They're just here to dislike everything I write and it's fine I honestly don't care what the little troll crew thinks.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
They're just here to dislike everything I write and it's fine I honestly don't care what the little troll crew thinks.
who else would read you? your income comes from your wife. at least @JordanSigler moonlights as my executive assistant. Buy a comma, or ask your wife for an allowance to buy one.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Do you believe what he wrote in that post is any kind of revelation to anyone that understands football above a base level?

He gets shit because he’s an angry clown that can’t evaluate players to save his life.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Do you believe what he wrote in that post is any kind of revelation to anyone that understands football above a base level?

He gets shit because he’s an angry clown that can’t evaluate players to save his life.
Lol I'm far from angry. I'm actually quite happy. I do do a very good job of making other people angry with me though. It's pretty funny because even when I'm not a part of the conversation in any thread I get dragged into it with people tagging me in the conversation etc.
There's been so many times that I haven't even contributed to a conversation that I get directly added to it that you could say I live in their heads rent free. It takes a lot to be constantly thinking about me to add me to stuff I'm not even a part of.

Canth

Liked Posts:

I am also still trying to figure out why I am supposed to give him kudos for Brett Kollman's work?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
This goes into the importance of vision to the hole versus the speed. Yeah you want to have speed to stretch the defense but having the ability to read the hole versus just running into a cluttered mess is more important.

Matt Forte was ideal for this scheme because he had the speed to stretch the defense he had the vision to the hole and he had the cutback ability to go with size to break tackles at the line of scrimmage.

Conversely Lovie Smith's one gap defense was very good at defending outside zone because he wanted his defenders to be responsible for one read one gap and for them to attack that gap hard and up the field to disrupt the cutback lanes available. The biggest risk though was always one guy attacking the wrong gap or getting two guys in the same gap which could lead to a big play.

This scheme is why they game has gotten away from the big DTs types like Ted Washington and instead you see more athletic DTs.
Good stuff, thanks

Bearey Palpatine

Liked Posts:
Thanks for posting; I love videos like this! It's almost like learning a new language.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Thanks for posting; I love videos like this! It's almost like learning a new language.
there's clips everywhere, Ron Marinelli used to have clips on youtube doing breakdowns.