Nick Foles has the play book down already

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Foles is going to start. Start getting ready for that mentally. I don't want you to hang yourself week 1. It's just a game.

Besides, from a media/fan perspective Trubisky's best shot is coming into a game later in the season and being a hero.

And I might as well get this outta the way too. Trubisky might not play at all next year. It could happen.
Trubisky will start. Nick might see the field as Trubisky seems to miss a game or two a year. Nicks best and only shot is to come in cold in relief. He is no starter. If Trubisky does not put it together we will be drafting a QB next year. If Nick starts or plays I will be rooting for him. I'm a Bears fan not a Trubisky fan.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
He didn’t say what kind of bike.

Maybe it’s like riding solo on a tandem bike whose tires are flat.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
We have two of the best Backup QBs in the League..... I just hope that we discover that Nagy really has been held back by Trubisky, and that Nagy can implement his entire playbook with Foles.

I want them to start Foles just because his best seasons (2013 and 2017) were miles better than Trubisky's best season (2018). Foles has shown that he can play within a System, he has had the most success with Chip Kelly and Pederson.

The fact that John DeFilippo was brought in to be the QB coach can not be a coincidence. Speaking of Flip, that guys career has been a roller coaster.... QB coach, OC, interviewing for HC jobs and now the QB coach for the Chicago Bears.... He keeps getting jobs and then gets fired...

Flips best success was as the QB coach for the Eagles when he had Wentz playing at a high level and then Foles was able to go on the SB tear after Wentz got hurt. So perhaps he operates best when he can focus solely on QBs.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hate pissing on everyone's mutual fellating for Foles, but I'd like to point out just a few facts.

Everyone seems to be building up Nick Foles' best seasons as the watermark of what the Bears will see. This is simply just hopeful think....

I'd like to present a few facts when comparing Foles to Trubisky....

They are very similar in career QBR.....88.2 to 85.8

Completion% 61.9 to 63.2

Yards per attempt 7.0 to 6.7

Yards per game 205 to 208

TD % 4.2 to 3.8

INT% 2.1 to 2.3

I know Foles had a win in a high profile game, but that isn't an indicator of his career performance...its one game....for most people it seems to be all they need to make a decision....

For most of Foles' career compared to Trubisky, Foles had better supporting offensive casts around him...except maybe in Jax....and that's debatable....

I think we all hope the QB situation will be good enough, but the historical facts don't really support this.

Yes Foles had one really good year....7 years ago

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Got a copy of the playbook right here:

BeYou_3d65dc4a-1b75-48ed-9e05-da22983d373f_grande.jpg

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Of course he does. That is the only way he has survived 8 years in the league.
This. Foles better have several playbooks mastered

Last edited:

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I hate pissing on everyone's mutual fellating for Foles, but I'd like to point out just a few facts.

Everyone seems to be building up Nick Foles' best seasons as the watermark of what the Bears will see. This is simply just hopeful think....

Completion% 61.9 to 63.2

TD % 4.2 to 3.8

INT% 2.1 to 2.3

I know Foles had a win in a high profile game, but that isn't an indicator of his career performance...its one game....for most people it seems to be all they need to make a decision....

For most of Foles' career compared to Trubisky, Foles had better supporting offensive casts around him...except maybe in Jax....and that's debatable....

I think we all hope the QB situation will be good enough, but the historical facts don't really support this.

Can't exactly do that type of an Apples-to-apples comparison when looking only at the numbers.

Mitch - He's had 2 offensive systems. The first one pretty much just had him handing off the ball (Fox) whereas the second one was more scheme based (Nagy). Both systems have tried to limit Mitch's responsibilities.

Foles - He's been in 6 different systems. Granted, 2 of those are Andy Reid (Philly and KC) and Pederson's has a lot of Reid concepts, but you gotta include the train wreck that was Fischer/Boras/Cignetti was a disaster and Marrone/DiFilipo combo was so good that DiFiliop got fired after one year.

What's my point? Foles has been in some bad situations, which would hurt his career averages. A better apples-to-apples would be to look at how Foles looks with Reid/Pederson compared to Mitch with only Nagy. I'd also try to track deviation, meaning how consistent the QBs play in that system. Consistency is key. If one week your QB is putting the team on his back while the next week he's making the game unwinnable that makes it hard to be confident in a 3-4 game playoff winning streak.

My biggest concern with Foles is him playing a full season. He's never done it. He's missed time due to injury and being benched, so I would be cautious in assuming he can be your guy for the full season. This is one of the reasons why I thing Mitch should start the season no matter what the QB competition looks like. Foles just has a better chance of helping this team as the Bears as a backup.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:

Completion% 61.9 to 63.2

TD % 4.2 to 3.8

INT% 2.1 to 2.3

You have a lot of "buts" implied in the facts that you presented.

I'm not saying that Foles is guaranteed to come in and light it up, but the reality is that Foles has played well in more than one big game, he has experience in several big games, and Trubisky has not shown that he can handle the "pressure games".

As far as that one season 7 years ago, it represents something that Trubisky has never been able to achieve "Consistency".

I just tend to believe that Foles represents our "best" chance to win this year.

The fact that the new members of coaching staff all have ties directly to Foles can not be a coincidence.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have a lot of "buts" implied in the facts that you presented.

I'm not saying that Foles is guaranteed to come in and light it up, but the reality is that Foles has played well in more than one big game, he has experience in several big games, and Trubisky has not shown that he can handle the "pressure games".

As far as that one season 7 years ago, it represents something that Trubisky has never been able to achieve "Consistency".

I just tend to believe that Foles represents our "best" chance to win this year.

The fact that the new members of coaching staff all have ties directly to Foles can not be a coincidence.

what buts.....

All I've stated are facts. People are looking to Foles and hope he plays better than his career average, which is just about what Trubisky's career average is....

There are no buts.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can't exactly do that type of an Apples-to-apples comparison when looking only at the numbers.

Mitch - He's had 2 offensive systems. The first one pretty much just had him handing off the ball (Fox) whereas the second one was more scheme based (Nagy). Both systems have tried to limit Mitch's responsibilities.

Foles - He's been in 6 different systems. Granted, 2 of those are Andy Reid (Philly and KC) and Pederson's has a lot of Reid concepts, but you gotta include the train wreck that was Fischer/Boras/Cignetti was a disaster and Marrone/DiFilipo combo was so good that DiFiliop got fired after one year.

What's my point? Foles has been in some bad situations, which would hurt his career averages. A better apples-to-apples would be to look at how Foles looks with Reid/Pederson compared to Mitch with only Nagy. I'd also try to track deviation, meaning how consistent the QBs play in that system. Consistency is key. If one week your QB is putting the team on his back while the next week he's making the game unwinnable that makes it hard to be confident in a 3-4 game playoff winning streak.

My biggest concern with Foles is him playing a full season. He's never done it. He's missed time due to injury and being benched, so I would be cautious in assuming he can be your guy for the full season. This is one of the reasons why I thing Mitch should start the season no matter what the QB competition looks like. Foles just has a better chance of helping this team as the Bears as a backup.

honestly I don't really get your conclusion...

Foles has been in basically the same derivative offense for much of his career.

Yet you somehow don't think Trubisky being under Fox just handing the ball off and throwing on third down for 1/3 of his career warrants enough of a bad situation.

You are giving a pass to Foles stats and none to Trubisky...

My point still stands....

People expecting Foles to come in here and be better than Trubisky are simply hoping Foles rises above his own career average.

My point is not to promote Trubisky, but to point out that Bears fans are again falling into the hope trap......they are hoping Foles performs better than he normally has in his career.

I am actually less worried about Foles playing a full season....he isn't a lineman or a running back.

My biggest worry isn't actually either QB.

Its the head coach....wash rinsing and repeating...I think either QB can be decent given a realistic running game and more play action passing.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
what buts.....

All I've stated are facts. People are looking to Foles and hope he plays better than his career average, which is just about what Trubisky's career average is....

There are no buts.

You do bring up a good point about the averages being very close, and hopefully that means if the starter gets hurt the backup should be just as good....With Chase here the last two years that was not the case....

Actually I think if we get Foles career average every game we can win a lot of football games this year.

I just think Foles will give you a better chance of having that consistency and with the defense that we expect to see this year, I like our chances a lot more.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You do bring up a good point about the averages being very close, and hopefully that means if the starter gets hurt the backup should be just as good....With Chase here the last two years that was not the case....

Actually I think if we get Foles career average every game we can win a lot of football games this year.

I just think Foles will give you a better chance of having that consistency and with the defense that we expect to see this year, I like our chances a lot more.

we will win games if the coaching staff can get out of their own way by instituting a running game with play action passing...I would have confidence in either QB to win games at that point.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
we will win games if the coaching staff can get out of their own way by instituting a running game with play action passing...I would have confidence in either QB to win games at that point.
Play action is only effective if you run the ball (well), I agree 100%, it should be a much bigger part of the game plan. I don't think that anyone wants to go back to the Fox era, but a balanced attack helps both QBs.

For Trubisky an effective run game puts him into shorter throwing situations, because his accuracy ( was supposed to be a strength) is actually not very good on intermediate to long throws.

Foles is not as mobile as Trubisky, so a good run game slows down the Pass rush. I actually think that Foles has better long pass accuracy, so the play action bomb might work better with him.

I think that the RPO is simply to indecisive of a scheme. For Lamar Jackson it is fantastic, but not for our two QBs.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Play action is only effective if you run the ball (well), I agree 100%, it should be a much bigger part of the game plan. I don't think that anyone wants to go back to the Fox era, but a balanced attack helps both QBs.

For Trubisky an effective run game puts him into shorter throwing situations, because his accuracy ( was supposed to be a strength) is actually not very good on intermediate to long throws.

Foles is not as mobile as Trubisky, so a good run game slows down the Pass rush. I actually think that Foles has better long pass accuracy, so the play action bomb might work better with him.

I think that the RPO is simply to indecisive of a scheme. For Lamar Jackson it is fantastic, but not for our two QBs.

actually the play action pass has some effectiveness whether you run the ball well or not....it is more effective if you get the linebackers to commit more depending on their speed.

Trubisky did quite decently in the very limited amount of traditional back to the line play action the Bears ran.

I think either QB will do ok if the Bears get less creative with the offense.