NL Central News Thread.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The Reds are cutting salary, and seem to be trying to stay around 100 million and rebuild at the same time. They seemed destined for mediocrity and a step back from last year.

The Brewers are reportedly shopping Hader and Avisail Garcia will leave via FA. Their pitching was healthy and phenomenal last year. THat typically doesn't stick from year to year.

The Cardinals are expected to be in the free agent market for top pitching, so I only see them getting better and winning the division.

The Pirates are still in a rebuild and expected to be in last place.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
With what is said above, I see an opportunity for the Cubs to gain some ground and beat up on the division next year to make a case for second place and push the Cardinals. This of course assumes the Cubs spend some money to shore up their rotation and lineup.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The division is there for the taking if the cubs want it. Just have to go spend wisely

CSF77

Liked Posts:
As of today

Rotation: (as a starter)
1: Hendricks 14-7 4.77 ERA
2: Miley N/A
3: Mills 4-7 4.80 ERA
4: Alzolay 4-13 5.16 ERA
5: Steel 2-4 4.95 ERA
6: Thompson 0-1 5.51 ERA
7: Abbott 0-0 3.60 ERA

The smart way of approaching this is target 1 more SP. You want someone better than Hendricks here. This pushes everyone down 1. But this is how I see the depth chat. Abbott is a dark horse. 8.03 ERA as a pen arm. But his track record in Iowa and his one start. He might get a outside shot.

Pen:

Weick 0.00 ERA (limited)
Alzolay 1.40 ERA (might end up as a strong closer candidate)
Steel 2.03 ERA Strong argument to have him in the pen. Stronger than the rotation.
Thompson 2.43 ERA. Again another starter that posted better numbers in the pen.
Heuer 3.14 ERA
Wick 4.30 ERA

Rest are garbage.

Looking at it this way having Miley on a 1 year gives a bridge to Marquez. I would make Alzolay the Closer and have Steel and Thompson set up. Rest are situational arms. Rotation I don't want 2 maybe types. Mills has the edge. Abbott with a strong spring could cause some head waves but Jed needs to add a TOR.

So Targeting Stroman would be awesome. He has been durable and he makes the rotation respectable.

Out of the starting 8. Adding Madgrill is basically like adding a solid F/A for 2B. Happ's strong ending brings stability to LF. Ortega made a case for 1/2 of CF. Davis ended up in Iowa and looks very close. So adding a OF is rather pointless right now.

So if anywhere 3B and SS are target spots.

I really doubt that Jed gives up his #2 pick for one of these guys. Seager and Correa are the only 2 that are arguable.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But who knows. Tom might green light this year and Jed makes a splash. Stroman, Correa, Seager. Lose #2 and #3. Then go with the above guys. He does that and all of a sudden this team starts to take notice.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Don’t forget the DH is coming. Schwarber makes a lot of sense. No draft pick comp tied to signing him either

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Qualified starters.

#30 Wade Miley 2.9 FWAR
#23 Marcus Stroman 3.4 FWAR
#8 Kevin Gausman 4.8 FWAR
#36 Kyle Hendricks 1.3 FWAR

Adding in 100 IP + guys.

Carlos Rodon 4.9 FWAR Ranks #9 in all MLB Ahead of Gausman #9 now.
Jon Gray 2.3 FWAR #53 now.

Lets say Jed offers Rodon a performance based deal. By the numbers he only falls behind Max in WAR value. A full healthy season he would have pushed 7 FWAR to fight the leaders.

Burns led with 7.5 FWAR. 167 IP. 12.61 K/9 2.43 ERA
Rodon 4.9 FWAR 132 IP 12.55 K/9 2.37 ERA

There is a comp on these numbers that suggest equitable production over the same duration.

So a calculated gamble could pay off with Rodon. He seems like a ideal target due to his question marks on a get more then what you spend type. 20 AAV with innings perks that push up to 25 AAV.

If Jed went here he would need a innings soaker. Stroman again becomes the prime target. I consider him a tier 2 target. He falls into the the 20-25 AAV range.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Boras talked for more than an hour to reporters at the GM meetings, saying baseball was the victim of a “competitive cancer” caused by teams trading veterans to get draft picks. He said the Braves’ World Series title resulted from other teams tanking.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

Boras talked for more than an hour to reporters at the GM meetings, saying baseball was the victim of a “competitive cancer” caused by teams trading veterans to get draft picks. He said the Braves’ World Series title resulted from other teams tanking.
Lol what a shitty take

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lol what a shitty take
Really. That asshole doesn't give a flying fuck about baseball....the guy bleeds greed. And he can stuff Rodon and his injury riddled career up his ass. The White Sox are in a WS window right now....need starting pitching and let him walk. That speaks volumes to me.....

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Multiple sources over the weekend are saying Cubs are going after Corey Seager. Hope its true.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Multiple sources over the weekend are saying Cubs are going after Corey Seager. Hope its true.

It makes sense from a line up point of view. Impact left handed hitter. Team has plus depth at A ball so if he degrades to 3B they have youth to take over.

I get the dislike on Seager but he checks a few boxes. The down side is a bit over played.

I would rather have the O and ok D and health a bit of a question mark vs there all the time and great glove but non existent at the plate.

I'm pretty sure most in baseball value a bat over a glove as a starter and will take glove first players at lower rates as back up players.

That said Correa is in a league of his own. He is 1 Seager is still tier 1 but closer to tier 2.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It makes sense from a line up point of view. Impact left handed hitter. Team has plus depth at A ball so if he degrades to 3B they have youth to take over.

I get the dislike on Seager but he checks a few boxes. The down side is a bit over played.

I would rather have the O and ok D and health a bit of a question mark vs there all the time and great glove but non existent at the plate.

I'm pretty sure most in baseball value a bat over a glove as a starter and will take glove first players at lower rates as back up players.

That said Correa is in a league of his own. He is 1 Seager is still tier 1 but closer to tier 2.
You would rather have a lesser defender who misses time than a guy who plays great defense who is there all the time?

Then why do you have Correa as in a tier by himself if he’s the better defender and the two are almost identical offensively?

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I know there is a concern over Seager's health so I decided to take a look at it. The UCL stands out, but a SS makes a dozen or so throws a game versus 100 for a pitcher. 2019 was a hamstring in June which probably bother him for the rest of the year but he still got in 134 games. 2021 was a HBP broken hand bone. That's just bad luck, imo.

Let's be real, we know what it's like to have a corner piece player be nicked up more than we like.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Correa is better than Seager, but if we are making it an injury concern than Seager tops him.

The difference between Seager and Correa is K rate, which the Cubs are actively trying to reduce. The Cubs see that their minor league system is loaded with swing and miss power bats for the most part. They need to sign guys that can make contact to add that balance. Seager, Nico, Madrigal, Schwindel fill that role., and that is pretty much your infield for 3 years. Load up the outfield with guys that hit homers and we have our balance.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You would rather have a lesser defender who misses time than a guy who plays great defense who is there all the time?

Then why do you have Correa as in a tier by himself if he’s the better defender and the two are almost identical offensively?
Read what I said. I said that I would rather have a plus hitter with avg D and suspect health rather than a Plus D with 'no bat' That is not Correa. Then I said that Correa is in a league of his own.

Nothing that I said is false. projections have Seager at 32M. Correa I would speculate 35-40 right now.

A glove first guy is that. Known for the Glove. Not the bat. Correa is a total package. Not dissing him at all.

I just see the Cubs with a plus SS depth in A ball. A solid back up in Hoerner. With Horener off of the bench it lessens the impact of injury. With plus depth it lets Seager move off SS as his age picks up. Far as we know 5 years from now he is on 1B.

What I would do is sign him and his brother to play 3B and SS. Move Wisdom to DH and some RF or LF plootoon vs lefties. The elder Seager is a more established Wisdom with less risk for implosion. Not to mention it adds a vet to a bunch of question marks.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
With Correa you are talking closer to 40M. He has been on a contender year after year. Moving to the Cubs would be a money grab.