No Excuse for Not Trading Schwarber in off Season

garapp

Liked Posts:
Seems like the Cubs are stuck with Schwarber again this year.

They wouldn't even consider trading him because he is young, didn't cost the Cubs much, etc

Hope TheoJed learned from the off season and make deals after the season to make the Cubbies a great team again

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I tend to agree that he belongs in the AL as a DH. But I just don't see them trading him at this point.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Might as well toss Almora, Bryant and Rizzo under the bus also because April stats are a true projection of their season. While you are at it start shining Heyward's MVP.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Might as well toss Almora, Bryant and Rizzo under the bus also because April stats are a true projection of their season. While you are at it start shining Heyward's MVP.
Goes a little longer then just these last couple weeks with Schwarber..

The guy basically a 230 hitter with 25+ HR power, and Ks almost 1/3 of the time, hitting mainly against RHers, and that basically all youre gonna get from him..

If you're satisfied with that, great

I personally think he may be one that Theo moves in offseason if Schwarber pretty much stays the same, eventhough he has a man love for him

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Goes a little longer then just these last couple weeks with Schwarber..

The guy basically a 230 hitter with 25+ HR power, and Ks almost 1/3 of the time, hitting mainly against RHers, and that basically all youre gonna get from him..

If you're satisfied with that, great

I personally think he may be one that Theo moves in offseason if Schwarber pretty much stays the same, eventhough he has a man love for him

He is not as bad as you are making it out to be.

Last year he held a 116 wRC+ and a 5 DRS. basically both were above league avg.

I get that you would rather get a 140 wRC+ in LF. Shoot so would I.

But going by your method. He had 102 hits. 26 were HR. So 1/4 of his hits went yard. He walked 78. So he went deep in counts alot. 140 SO.

He is what he is. He takes pitches. He will strike out he will walk. And he will hit around 25-30 HR'S. I really don't see the issue here.

Last edited:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He is not as bad as you are making it out to be.

Last year he held a 116 wRC+ and a 5 DRS. basically both were above league avg.

I get that you would rather get a 140 wRC+ in LF. Shoot so would I.

But going by your method. He had 102 hits. 26 were HR. So 1/4 of his hits went yard. He walked 78. So he went deep in counts alot. 140 SO.

He is what he is. He takes pitches. He will strike out he will walk. And he will hit around 25-30 HR'S. I really don't see the issue here.
So you basically agreed..lol
He is what he he is which isnt that great

He a low average hitter who can hit some HRs..lol

So yeah, you either ok with that or not

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
So you basically agreed..lol
He is what he he is which isnt that great

He a low average hitter who can hit some HRs..lol

So yeah, you either ok with that or not

Now do Javy Baez before 2018.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Seems like the Cubs are stuck with Schwarber again this year.

They wouldn't even consider trading him because he is young, didn't cost the Cubs much, etc

Hope TheoJed learned from the off season and make deals after the season to make the Cubbies a great team again

Has he screwed up defensively?

Or are we talking K’s?

Why do those who overreact amd think he is horrible also feel we could trade for something?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I do believe that Schwarber needs to be more agressive early. But I also look at it as he put up a .350 OBA. And hit 26 HR. he is not paid to hit singles.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I do believe that Schwarber needs to be more agressive early. But I also look at it as he put up a .350 OBA. And hit 26 HR. he is not paid to hit singles.

If you get 25+ HR's from Schwarber each year you can probably live with the errors in the field. The thing is, last year the Cubs were damn good. They ran into a historically hot Milwaukee team and everyone forgets how many games the Cubs won and just see the quick playoff exit. They did this with a few hitters (Bryant, Willson) struggling.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If you get 25+ HR's from Schwarber each year you can probably live with the errors in the field. The thing is, last year the Cubs were damn good. They ran into a historically hot Milwaukee team and everyone forgets how many games the Cubs won and just see the quick playoff exit. They did this with a few hitters (Bryant, Willson) struggling.

From fangraphs

Profile: Schwarber entered the 2018 season in the best shape of his life (™) and turned in his best full season (3.2 WAR) as a major leaguer. While Schwarber’s offensive profile didn’t change much with his new commitment to fitness, his defence may have improved - Schwarber posted the sixth highest UZR amongst qualified outfielders (although he grades out less favorably in Statcast’s Outs Above Average metric). While Schwarber’s newfound defensive abilities may have played a role in keeping him in a constantly rotating Cubs lineup late in games, Schwarber, who posted a wRC+ of just 85 against lefties in 2018, was still often shielded from them. Despite his strikeout issues (29.0 K% for his career), Schwarber has always posted elite walk rates (15.3% in 2018) which makes him more valuable in fantasy games that value OBP (but don’t penalize strikeouts). He won’t get 600 plate appearances but he can still do damage when he’s in the lineup. (Nick Dika)

The Quick Opinion: Schwarber won’t hit for a great average, but his 30 home run potential and patience at the plate make him a top-50 outfielder in most standard formats and top-40 in OBP leagues.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
[QUOTE="CSF77, post: 3076993, member:
The Quick Opinion: Schwarber won’t hit for a great average, but his 30 home run potential and patience at the plate make him a top-50 outfielder in most standard formats and top-40 in OBP leagues.
[/QUOTE]

This is Schwarber 3rd full season after the injury..
If he can put together a decent average with 25+ HR .330+ OBP and drive in runs, then yeah there no doubt he staying
But
If he hits below 240 again, and has a low OB again, low RBI totals again and is basically just a guy who hits 25+ HRs and takes a bunch of pitches

Then yeah, maybe it time Theo considers someone else for LF and sees what he can get for Schwarber in the offseason

CSF77

Liked Posts:
[QUOTE="CSF77, post: 3076993, member:

This is Schwarber 3rd full season after the injury..
If he can put together a decent average with 25+ HR .330+ OBP and drive in runs, then yeah there no doubt he staying
But
If he hits below 240 again, and has a low OB again, low RBI totals again and is basically just a guy who hits 25+ HRs and takes a bunch of pitches

Then yeah, maybe it time Theo considers someone else for LF and sees what he can get for Schwarber in the offseason
[/QUOTE]

We will see.

I do believe there will be a reset of sorts.

Here is my take.

Nico starts at SS next year.

So the obvious part Russell has to be traded. But you start him at SS and move Baez back to 2B.

Now going into next year Zo and Hamels are out.
So that is 34 mil off cap.

Trading Russell another 4 removed.

At that point I would move Bryant to RF and Heyward to CF full time and move Baez to 3B full time.

Now the question is to retain Rizzo or opt out for 2 Mil. I kinda would take the opt to get Contreras and Caritiani pivoting 1B and C to give each 600 PA. Keeps them fresh and Staples in the line up. Add to it it saves another 12M.

Now with that savings I would get agressive with the rotation and the closer. This team is never going to get another ring by half assing another off season.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
As far as Schwarber is concerned. I really don't see the point on over spending on a corner OF. Farm is dry there. Really a cost effective strat unless you can make a greater deal with current assets.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
We will see.

I do believe there will be a reset of sorts.

Here is my take.

Nico starts at SS next year.

So the obvious part Russell has to be traded. But you start him at SS and move Baez back to 2B.

Now going into next year Zo and Hamels are out.
So that is 34 mil off cap.

Trading Russell another 4 removed.

At that point I would move Bryant to RF and Heyward to CF full time and move Baez to 3B full time.

Now the question is to retain Rizzo or opt out for 2 Mil. I kinda would take the opt to get Contreras and Caritiani pivoting 1B and C to give each 600 PA. Keeps them fresh and Staples in the line up. Add to it it saves another 12M.

Now with that savings I would get agressive with the rotation and the closer. This team is never going to get another ring by half assing another off season.

I said before and still believe that yes this is like a reset year ...
Every position player including Russell has been with this team since 2016, except Caratini Bote Zagunis and Descalso.

This is pretty much year 4 or 5 for these guys, So yes, I think Theo and Jed decided to take the season and challenge those players to step up and see who responds , those who responds could be offered extensions, those that dont could be moved..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
As far as Schwarber is concerned. I really don't see the point on over spending on a corner OF. Farm is dry there. Really a cost effective strat unless you can make a greater deal with current assets.
The outfield as a whole may need to be addressed..
Hopefully Heyward has found himself and carries this all year, that would be huge...

Depending on how they do, both LF and CF could be where they add new faces to the lineup for 2020 along with Hoerner at one of the MI spot...

Outside of Happ, Eddie Martinez pretty much the only OFer that could become something from the system now..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I said before and still believe that yes this is like a reset year ...
Every position player including Russell has been with this team since 2016, except Caratini Bote Zagunis and Descalso.

This is pretty much year 4 or 5 for these guys, So yes, I think Theo and Jed decided to take the season and challenge those players to step up and see who responds , those who responds could be offered extensions, those that dont could be moved..

I really see it as they most likely have a rough plan in place. Joe is most likely out and they bring in Joe #2.

Bryant and Baez they should lock up. I thought that Baez is a better 3B in general. Bryant would play up better with his arm in RF. Jason you are not getting anyone to absorb 86M. So you move him to CF.

Now that does bring up some assets. Russell who most likely rebounds. Rizzo IMO you think trade if you can bring back SP. That would be my goal. Lester is getting old. Hendricks is a 4. Q holds more value trading vs extending.

So I would look to reset my rotation and bring in a real closer. Enough said there. It really depends on the market. If Rizzo an Q plus adds bring you back a TOR and a closer do it. If the best are F/A then cut and reset.

But I can't see the status que going anywhere. This team will need a retool.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Sorry, but Schwarbie has put on every pound he lost last year.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Your material is as fresh as Andrew Dice Clay's.
Did you see his belly start to hang over his belt. In 2 years he will look like a southside Chicago softball player from the 60s