No Man's Sky

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Any of you hooligans been following the development of this game? Finally got a release date today for PC and PS4 -- premise seems friggin' awesome.

June 21st release date.

GameSpot article

Official website

Last edited:

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
i like the concept but im not a fan of procedurally generated content and feel the game might get dull rather quickly. plus im not sure about the art direction, and the fact that everything theyve shown in the footage, despite showing numerous planets, all looks the same.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
i like the concept but im not a fan of procedurally generated content and feel the game might get dull rather quickly. plus im not sure about the art direction, and the fact that everything theyve shown in the footage, despite showing numerous planets, all looks the same.

Agree 100%. This looks like it would be a blast for exactly one day, maybe two. Of course I hope I'm wrong.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
It's almost here. Who is getting it? i don't think I'll be a day 1. But I'll be getting it.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm about 5 hours into it, been on 4 planets, jumped to one other system. On a technical level, being on one planet and flying over to another without load time is pretty awesome. There are a couple different speeds for space flight, you can jump boost to a planet that's 15 minutes away in a minute and a half.

For me, and it's random, the difference in planets hasn't been very drastic. I'm looking forward to a jungle/tropical planet with tall grass but I've yet to come across anything like it. I did land on a planet that was 80% powder blue water, which was cool.

There is a ton of inventory management... I've read that 10 hours in you begin to carry a lot more stuff but in the early hours it's a pain in the ass. NMS is a survival game, you'll need to stock up on enough mats to keep 3 different life support systems and two ship components running. In my experience it hasn't been too bad cause I've done well managing it.

You interact with alien monoliths and language stones to better help you with alien NPC's, so far I haven't fought much besides flying drones, the game needs more combat. Period.

I'm hoping the game really opens up with more combat (flying and otherwise), objectives, and really just more damn shit to do because as great as its been I'm going to need more. The gameplay is addicting though, and sort of relaxing in a way but it's going to be hard to justify a 70 hour play through consisting of mining and inventory management alone...

TWO BIG CONTROLLER TIPS:

- On PS4 the sprint button is mapped to R3, which is awful. You can change this by going into the PS4 main menu > settings > accessibility > button assignments and swapping L3 with R3. L3 is normally the scan button so this is a good workaround. This system option changes the button mapping for every game you play so keep
that in mind.

- While traversing on foot and pressing R1 (Melee) and then holding X (Jetpack) shortly after you can thrust forward quickly. It's tough to get used to the timing but once you get used to it you'll be getting around waaaaaay faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks for the sprinting tip.
It was just odd having to fix your ship at first. I was getting the controls down and spent the first day playing gathering resources. Spent last night fixing my ship and flying to a planet that has a trading post that I will be checking out tonight.

I dig the game, but I get it if people are wanting more encounters.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Thanks for the sprinting tip.
It was just odd having to fix your ship at first. I was getting the controls down and spent the first day playing gathering resources. Spent last night fixing my ship and flying to a planet that has a trading post that I will be checking out tonight.

I dig the game, but I get it if people are wanting more encounters.

I've played for about 8 hours, encounters are becoming more routine, I've been in some space combat now also. I landed on a moon with "hostile" sentinels that had a bunch of rare elements to mine. I must have fought off 15 of them in a twenty minute span. That was fun.

The best thing to do in the first 10 hours is to try and find drop pods which offer inventory upgrades for your suit. So, so important. On my first day of playing I was wondering how long this could be fun for. On my second day I loved it more than the first, so that's something.

ANOTHER GOOD TIP:

When you enter a new system try first to identify where the floating space station is located, you'll come back here often to sell from your inventory and free your slots back up. Try and plan a route where it's the least time consuming to double back to that station. You can also try and buy any ship that's docked in the space station. I have my eyes on a 34 slot ship for 1.7 million credits. I'm half way there! Can't wait!

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I got sucked into the hype and went ahead and bought it yesterday because I can still get the pre-order price on amazon. I'm glad I'll be getting it after the day one patch dropped, but they are so back-ordered I may not actually get it till the next patch drops. hah. No worries, i've got plenty to play till then. FO4, Witcher, Neverwinter, finding the time to actually game is the hardest part.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
I got sucked into the hype and went ahead and bought it yesterday because I can still get the pre-order price on amazon. I'm glad I'll be getting it after the day one patch dropped, but they are so back-ordered I may not actually get it till the next patch drops. hah. No worries, i've got plenty to play till then. FO4, Witcher, Neverwinter, finding the time to actually game is the hardest part.

That might suit you better, there are supposed to be even a few more big updates coming. Be careful with your preorder ship, there's a game-breaking bug I am unfortunately dealing with at the moment, I should be able to get out of it but yeah, be careful.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How is the sky? Can you say whether anything happens? Without spoilers?

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
How is the sky? Can you say whether anything happens? Without spoilers?

No, nothing really happens. I've played for 12 hours and now I'm stuck with the hyperdrive bug, meaning since I used the dlc ship with the hyperdrive already installed I was never prompted to get the hyperdrive blueprint. I bought a new ship and now I'm stuck in a galaxy I can't warp out of.

Which is fine because it got boring quick, nothing to do but the same stuff all the way to the center of the Galaxy. I'm hoping they patch my bug and make the game itself much better within the next few months.

On top of that Final Fantasy XV was delayed two months. I took vacation time for work to play that shit... Fuck my life.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have been hoping they were so vague about NMS because eventually a story kicks in and shit starts to happen.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
That might suit you better, there are supposed to be even a few more big updates coming. Be careful with your preorder ship, there's a game-breaking bug I am unfortunately dealing with at the moment, I should be able to get out of it but yeah, be careful.

That's my thought, even if it comes this week I probably won't have time to play it for a bit, but I at least got it for the pre-order price. And maybe by the time I fire it up a lot of the patches will have kicked in. I'm on PS4 though, I know PC is having a much rougher go.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I have been hoping they were so vague about NMS because eventually a story kicks in and shit starts to happen.

Yeah, I see a lot of people mad about this and some returning the game, but I guess it was never really billed as a story game, just more of a open world survial builder minecraftylink sandbox type game. Don't know guess I'll see.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Hopefully they add a bunch of stuff. The constant mining is cool for awhile but I can't do it for another 50 hours. I know they are working on adding basebuilding and space freighters, but they just need to give us more to do from planet to planet.

Houston

Liked Posts:
http://vid.pr0gramm.com/2016/08/15/5322c9ed537c76b8.mp4

pgdead.png