No more guessing. Kevin White will not play this season : Chicago Tribune

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-kevin-white-practice-20151210-story.html

Dan WiedererContact Reporter
Chicago Tribune

Bears rookie Kevin White will not play this season, the Tribune has learned.

White’s recovery from August surgery to repair a stress fracture in his left leg has progressed as the team had hoped, if not better. The young receiver has made marked improvement with his movement, shown signs of burst as his running has increased and worked through bouts of weakness in his left leg to gain more confidence in his acceleration and agility.

But the Bears have no plan to clear White for action this season, despite growing outside curiosity as to whether his NFL debut could occur in the next four weeks.

White, the No. 7 overall pick in last spring’s NFL draft, has been on the physically-unable-to-perform list since the season began. Officially, the Bears face a Tuesday deadline to activate White to the 53-man roster. The most likely scenario, however, is that he will retain his PUP status and go back to working through his recovery off to the side with the Bears’ trainer and strength and conditioning coaches.

The Bears could push White onto the 53-man roster next week to allow him to continue practicing through season’s end. But even if that were to happen, the rookie receiver would still not play in a game. Furthermore, that move would require the team to eat a roster spot for a player who’d be inactive for the final four games.

League rules have allowed White to work back into practices during a 21-day window that began Nov. 24. The young receiver acknowledges he has been able to improve his route running and gain a better understanding of his reads in the offense over the last 2 1/2 weeks.

“Being an athlete, being a competitor, I want to get out there,” White said. “I think that’s natural.”

But Friday is likely to mark his seventh and final practice this season.

When asked after Wednesday’s practice what message he had for Bears fans itching to see the team’s top draft pick make his NFL debut this season, White sighed and shrugged.

“Not my call,” he said. “… Whatever they want me to do, then that’s what I’ll do.”

In fact, White’s trying first season as a pro finally will reach a definitive conclusion with a decision firmed up to keep him out of game action.

The rookie receiver still needs to strengthen his left leg to get it on par with the opposite side. And while coach John Fox has strategically dodged questions about White’s potential to play this season, the Bears don't want to rush the rookie receiver into full-speed NFL action.

After using a top-10 pick to draft White, the Bears intend to protect that investment for the long term. And the move to keep White off the field on game days this season is an integral part of that.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
It was the same plan from the get go that they followed all season. The hype train has been fun and cute but the Bears stuck to the plan they announced from the get go.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sad day. Is it August yet?

Chad_Thomas89

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Only reason I was even remotely looking forward to watching the rest of the season.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears to keep rookie receiver Kevin White out all season

Bears to keep rookie receiver Kevin White out all season

1250x703

Bears rookie Kevin White will not play this season, the Tribune has learned.

White’s recovery from August surgery to repair a stress fracture in his left leg has progressed as the team had hoped, if not better. The young receiver has made marked improvement with his movement, shown signs of burst as his running has increased and worked through bouts of weakness in his left leg to gain more confidence in his acceleration and agility.

But the Bears have no plan to clear White for action this season, despite growing outside curiosity as to whether his NFL debut could occur in the next four weeks.

White, the No. 7 overall pick in last spring’s NFL draft, has been on the physically-unable-to-perform list since the season began. Officially, the Bears face a Tuesday deadline to activate White to the 53-man roster. The most likely scenario, however, is that he will retain his PUP status and go back to working through his recovery off to the side with the Bears’ trainer and strength and conditioning coaches.

The Bears could push White onto the 53-man roster next week to allow him to continue practicing through season’s end. But even if that were to happen, the rookie receiver would still not play in a game. Furthermore, that move would require the team to eat a roster spot for a player who’d be inactive for the final four games.

League rules have allowed White to work back into practices during a 21-day window that began Nov. 24. The young receiver acknowledges he has been able to improve his route running and gain a better understanding of his reads in the offense over the last 2 1/2 weeks.

“Being an athlete, being a competitor, I want to get out there,” White said. “I think that’s natural.”

But Friday is likely to mark his seventh and final practice this season.

When asked after Wednesday’s practice what message he had for Bears fans itching to see the team’s top draft pick make his NFL debut this season, White sighed and shrugged.

“Not my call,” he said. “… Whatever they want me to do, then that’s what I’ll do.”

In fact, White’s trying first season as a pro finally will reach a definitive conclusion with a decision firmed up to keep him out of game action.

The rookie receiver still needs to strengthen his left leg to get it on par with the opposite side. And while coach John Fox has strategically dodged questions about White’s potential to play this season, the Bears don't want to rush the rookie receiver into full-speed NFL action.

After using a top-10 pick to draft White, the Bears intend to protect that investment for the long term. And the move to keep White off the field on game days this season is an integral part of that.

Liked Posts:
Lame! It's not like we were going anywhere anyway but it would have been nice to get him acclimated to the NFL game this year so he was ahead of the curve next year.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
"The most likely scenario"

Nothing from John Fox or the Bears? Anyone know for sure that he's out or is it just speculation at this point from Dan Wiederer?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did the article state the source or is it speculation? I don't doubt the report but I'll wait until I hear a definite statement from the Bears front office.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why would Fox and Cutler both hint at him being really close to returning?

Fucking tone deaf Bears.

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
I doubt the Tribune would let him post this so definitively about this if it wasn't legit.

cobra302

Liked Posts:
Only the Bears would use a top 10 pick to draft a guy with a broken leg. Better re-sign Alshon.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
It would have been good for him to be out there to get the in-game reps. Now, the pressure on him is going to be huge next year for him to produce immediately.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As secretive as the Bears have been under Fox, I think I'll wait until the Bears say something about this. All the places are just reporting what Wiederer is saying that way if it's wrong its on him.

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
I can't link it here but my espn app just had a breaking story that Kevin White is being put on the PUP list and it's using the Tribune as its source.