Nobody is coming back

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure who this quote is from, well not 100% sure, but if true, that was a great "thank you" to those players for doing what they did and attempting to do more which didn't pan out, regardless of effort.
It's from Bryant

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
"Listen, when it comes to the guys on our team and what we did — Gold Gloves, Silver Sluggers, MVPs, Rookie of the Years, good people — those things cost money,” Rizzo said.

What Rizzo 'forgot' to mention that group collectively failed to perform when it counted. It seemed as a group they were satisfied with one WS win and decent seasons after. Not one distinguished them selves as absolute 'must keep'. Good riddance.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Completely playing armchair GM here, but reality is trading Bryant and Baez right after the 2019 season would have been best in the long run. Baez had an MVP caliber season the year before and put up good numbers the following season while Bryant had his best season since his 2016 MVP year. Rizzo could have been kept as the "clubhouse leader" until this year and the prospects from the trades then would most likely be ready for next season. Of course this is all hind sight, but it was also the season they made the switch to Ross. They sell off then and fans certainly don't have expectations of winning a title and the rebuild is well on it's way already.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
"Listen, when it comes to the guys on our team and what we did — Gold Gloves, Silver Sluggers, MVPs, Rookie of the Years, good people — those things cost money,” Rizzo said.

What Rizzo 'forgot' to mention that group collectively failed to perform when it counted. It seemed as a group they were satisfied with one WS win and decent seasons after. Not one distinguished them selves as absolute 'must keep'. Good riddance.
And they were all “paid” for their services… contracts their agents had them sign and they did so willingly

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
“Good riddance “ is such an idiotic thing to say.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Completely playing armchair GM here, but reality is trading Bryant and Baez right after the 2019 season would have been best in the long run. Baez had an MVP caliber season the year before and put up good numbers the following season while Bryant had his best season since his 2016 MVP year. Rizzo could have been kept as the "clubhouse leader" until this year and the prospects from the trades then would most likely be ready for next season. Of course this is all hind sight, but it was also the season they made the switch to Ross. They sell off then and fans certainly don't have expectations of winning a title and the rebuild is well on it's way already.
I was actually banging this exact drum back then. Everyone was all over Baez nutsack and I was over here saying no way is his contact rate sustainable. Dude is gonna fall off the MVP pedestal, and he did. He would have brought a massive haul.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if psycho boy is going to start spamming threads everywhere again because his head cant stop spinning... you tell me boyo @jts1207 , the stage is yours....

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I was actually banging this exact drum back then. Everyone was all over Baez nutsack and I was over here saying no way is his contact rate sustainable. Dude is gonna fall off the MVP pedestal, and he did. He would have brought a massive haul.

I wonder if the fire sale wouldn't have happened a lot last year were it not for COVID. Once they couldn't Baez or Bryant to sign extensions, they should have shopped them at the Winter Meetings. Each of them could have brought back one blue chip and a couple of other nice pieces. You hint strongly to the Angels you'd pack up Bryant up with them signing Maddon as their manager and the Cubs could probably have gotten Jo Adell, Patrick Sandoval, and another prospect outside their top 20 as Adell was their #1 and Sandoval was their #7. Adell has a high SO Ratio, 29%, but his IsoP is about 240 and his OBP is still in the 350 range. Sandoval is already in the majors and having a fairly good year this year. Try to still move to NY and get their #3 at the time, Mark Vientos, and whatever else they could get.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
“Good riddance “ is such an idiotic thing to say.
Sorry, my comment didn't meet your approval... Deal with it!.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
What I don't think people are taking into account is that it's not about whether a player was worth <x>. I think front offices need to be very careful with this year in particular because the new CBA can entirely change things. We have no idea what that will look like yet. So, i have no doubt the cubs probably lowballed them by today's standards but they sorta have to without knowing the long term outlook.

I'm not saying this will happen but say they suddenly put in a hard salary cap. That's totally gonna change how contract structures work. It's one thing if someone is already on a long term deal but with Rizzo, Bryant and Baez they would be entering their first year of the deal after the new cba.

As such I'm glad they were cautious with their offers.