Nostalgia Thread

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I have to admit that I am nostalgic about Hugs and the bar.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Lite brite

Funny thing about Lite Brite. Did you know the company originally used glass pegs? No more dangerous that a bag of marbles, but wow did that make the box heavy.

I sold the original test market release of Lite Brite earlier this year to a collector, the only reason I know.
That original Lite Brite set was my first eBay purchase in 1998. Other than cleaning it and seeing if the damn thing worked, I never did jack squat with a Lite Brite.

Also have something called a Studio 54 Simon. Which is just the name for the very first batch of, again test market built, Simon. They have minor differences from the final production run, but aside from that, the design was hardly changed from 1977 to the final releases of the 4850.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Funny thing about Lite Brite. Did you know the company originally used glass pegs? No more dangerous that a bag of marbles, but wow did that make the box heavy.

I sold the original test market release of Lite Brite earlier this year to a collector, the only reason I know.
That original Lite Brite set was my first eBay purchase in 1998. Other than cleaning it and seeing if the damn thing worked, I never did jack squat with a Lite Brite.

Also have something called a Studio 54 Simon. Which is just the name for the very first batch of, again test market built, Simon. They have minor differences from the final production run, but aside from that, the design was hardly changed from 1977 to the final releases of the 4850.

What are your thoughts on original CD's coming around in value someday?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
What are your thoughts on original CD's coming around in value someday?

Some CDs will. Archival quality with special inserts. And rare things always have some value in general, so as long as they have some level of desirability. SACDs are hot for quality releases. It's easy to release something on a format without anything special to explore the limits of a format too.

It's a geeky and complex answer, I'll stick to one common example. For the most part, when CDs were being designed, the labs didn't have very good ALTs. Accelerated Life Testing. So when the adhesives that bound the film went through enough moisture and dryness cycles, they start to rot, even if the disc looks perfect to the naked eye. This sadly includes gold plated films too. The other problem, the damn jewel shells are a brittle plastic all around, so now you're spending time salvaging a pile of CDs for resale, getting rid of bad cases for good, swapping wrinkled inserts for good, and all along, hoping there is no fade in the film and/or testing for rotting / corrosion.

The best discs on the market use some sort of mineralized polymer, and those have always been expensive to produce. Because you're basically duplicating an image onto suspended dust, the way special high thermal resistant glass is made. Even the last gen M-Disc which is similar in concept but very different in how it works. I only have a handful of discs that would pass every major labs 50 year ALT certification. So why are you going to collect a format that degrades to a useless state? Even tape and vinyl can be recovered if well kept after 100 years, but CDs are unpredictable.

In the end, you have illogical people who do collect based on nostalgia. And you have collectors of certain bands, games, movies. Then you have physical media fans. Nobody else is going to drive up the price, and more likely than not, most people will dump their CDs once they feel they can still retrieve the music somehow off either another service, or a backup of their own. The dumpers will kill the price (as they have been), and the collectors will fracture into groups of completists, all the way down to people who get out of the hobby.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Some CDs will. Archival quality with special inserts. And rare things always have some value in general, so as long as they have some level of desirability. SACDs are hot for quality releases. It's easy to release something on a format without anything special to explore the limits of a format too.

It's a geeky and complex answer, I'll stick to one common example. For the most part, when CDs were being designed, the labs didn't have very good ALTs. Accelerated Life Testing. So when the adhesives that bound the film went through enough moisture and dryness cycles, they start to rot, even if the disc looks perfect to the naked eye. This sadly includes gold plated films too. The other problem, the damn jewel shells are a brittle plastic all around, so now you're spending time salvaging a pile of CDs for resale, getting rid of bad cases for good, swapping wrinkled inserts for good, and all along, hoping there is no fade in the film and/or testing for rotting / corrosion.

The best discs on the market use some sort of mineralized polymer, and those have always been expensive to produce. Because you're basically duplicating an image onto suspended dust, the way special high thermal resistant glass is made. Even the last gen M-Disc which is similar in concept but very different in how it works. I only have a handful of discs that would pass every major labs 50 year ALT certification. So why are you going to collect a format that degrades to a useless state? Even tape and vinyl can be recovered if well kept after 100 years, but CDs are unpredictable.

In the end, you have illogical people who do collect based on nostalgia. And you have collectors of certain bands, games, movies. Then you have physical media fans. Nobody else is going to drive up the price, and more likely than not, most people will dump their CDs once they feel they can still retrieve the music somehow off either another service, or a backup of their own. The dumpers will kill the price (as they have been), and the collectors will fracture into groups of completists, all the way down to people who get out of the hobby.

That was a more detailed answer than I was looking for, but that is sort of understandable coming from you, that you would throw some other wrench into my train of thought.

My takeaways are as follows:

1. Even though I have stored my CD collection well, I should rip them all to MP3 immediately if I have any plans of keeping the music collection in tact. I haven't ripped it all as of yet because it is tedious task.

2. Common CD's will remain common.

3. Chit tier CD quality, I am guessing from the likes of Columbia house etc. are going to be worthless AND useless.

4. Find a market for the rare underground stuff that I own and find a time to get rid of it if I am not keeping it for sentimental reasons.

Mainly I just enjoy the music and have stood behind the fact that the music is there, physically. That appears to not be the case as CD's apparently can become useless. The thing is that even today I still crave the CD when I buy music. Buying a digital album just feels fake to me when I don't get the physical copy a couple of days later.

Maybe I should revert to buying Albums.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
That was a more detailed answer than I was looking for, but that is sort of understandable coming from you, that you would throw some other wrench into my train of thought.

My takeaways are as follows:

1. Even though I have stored my CD collection well, I should rip them all to MP3 immediately if I have any plans of keeping the music collection in tact. I haven't ripped it all as of yet because it is tedious task.

2. Common CD's will remain common.

3. Chit tier CD quality, I am guessing from the likes of Columbia house etc. are going to be worthless AND useless.

4. Find a market for the rare underground stuff that I own and find a time to get rid of it if I am not keeping it for sentimental reasons.

Mainly I just enjoy the music and have stood behind the fact that the music is there, physically. That appears to not be the case as CD's apparently can become useless. The thing is that even today I still crave the CD when I buy music. Buying a digital album just feels fake to me when I don't get the physical copy a couple of days later.

Maybe I should revert to buying Albums.

Sounds like you could do a how-to guide for Buzzfeed! Perfect, maybe even rip to a better format than MP3, something lossless.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Steam was showing me a release of Streets of Rage 4.... ultra nostalgia for Streets of Rage in general.

I think I only ever got a friend to help me beat one of the original 3 games, but they were fun games.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Steam was showing me a release of Streets of Rage 4.... ultra nostalgia for Streets of Rage in general.

I think I only ever got a friend to help me beat one of the original 3 games, but they were fun games.

Have you play dis?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I remember when this place didn’t tolerate racists, homophobes, and whiners.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am starting to get nostalgic for some pretty basic stuff.

Have not been out to a restaurant this entire calendar year. That may be an adult lifetime record.

Have not been to the movies since 'Joker' premiered the first week of October 2019. That may be an adult lifetime record.

Have not seen a live musical performance since late 2018. That is definitely an adult lifetime record.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I am starting to get nostalgic for some pretty basic stuff.

Have not been out to a restaurant this entire calendar year. That may be an adult lifetime record.

Have not been to the movies since 'Joker' premiered the first week of October 2019. That may be an adult lifetime record.

Have not seen a live musical performance since late 2018. That is definitely an adult lifetime record.

I am still rather pissed about the lineup of awesome shows that were coming to the city this year. It was a ridiculous list of acts that I planned on spending far too much money on. So far every ticket I had for the summer save one has been refunded.

Really sad to miss all those concerts, but there isn't much I can say about it other than to accept it as a fact at this point.

All that said, if they went on with the COVID thing still happening I probably wouldn't have gone to any of the shows anyway and would've sold my tix off.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really sad to miss all those concerts, but there isn't much I can say about it other than to accept it as a fact at this point.

It was on NYE that I realized 2019 was the first year I had not gone to a single show since I started high school. That made me feel old so I swore I would get out to a few this year until 2020 had other plans.

For sure all of my best concert days are behind me, so I am not devastated about it. It's just a weird feeling that made me a little nostalgic for days gone by.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am getting nostalgic for playing bags.

I just wanna play bags in the sunshine with a cold beer.

I suppose I could do it alone on my front lawn... might be kinda sad lol

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am getting nostalgic for playing bags.

I live two blocks from the lakefront, which is awesome on days like today for me and the wife to put together a light dinner to go and have a picnic in the park at the lake.

Lori Lightfoot has taken that away from me and I kind of want City Hall to give me a rent credit if it never comes back this summer.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I live two blocks from the lakefront, which is awesome on days like today for me and the wife to put together a light dinner to go and have a picnic in the park at the lake.

Lori Lightfoot has taken that away from me and I kind of want City Hall to give me a rent credit if it never comes back this summer.

Mayor Lightfoot find you picnicking and she gonna beat yo ass with a wooden belt.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mayor Lightfoot find you picnicking and she gonna beat yo ass with a wooden belt.

jtkxwr8hc6p41.jpg