Not getting an elite WR in the offseason is killing the Bears

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
That’s a completely irrelevant statement and argument but not surprising coming from you.

Me: do we want to pay a career #2 WR $21 million per year

You: it’s better than paying Smith $22 million!(which no one, including the front office, wants to do)

Maybe the Bears should have drafted a backup RB like Etienne in the 1st round last year like you wanted to…

It's completely relevant to the conversation of needing a good WR because defense has been illegalized in the NFL.
Pay a good defense $22 million (and he wants that) or pay a good (the news articles say you're wrong, he's very highly ranked so far) WR $21 million.
If he wants $22-$24 you can bet he will get around the same as Kirk. So defense for $21m or offense for $21m. You just claim it's irrelevant because it shoots a tank sized hole through what you want.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It's completely relevant to the conversation of needing a good WR because defense has been illegalized in the NFL.
Pay a good defense $22 million (and he wants that) or pay a good (the news articles say you're wrong, he's very highly ranked so far) WR $21 million.
If he wants $22-$24 you can bet he will get around the same as Kirk. So defense for $21m or offense for $21m. You just claim it's irrelevant because it shoots a tank sized hole through what you want.
I literally said no one wants, including me, to pay Smith $22 million. Are you fucking mental?
Kirk is very highly ranked after playing 3 sub-par defenses! That must settle it then! Brilliant argument

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I’m not saying they don’t need a top tier receiver. They do. I just want to push back about this obsession with offense and everybody saying the same cliched thing about how offense is mostly all that that matters now. And this fallacy of thinking the trend of the time (offensive centric football) will always be the trend and instead of flipping it will just perpetuate. This idea that offense will just keep evolving and the league will from now on just be about offense. Scoring is down. Offense is down. It’s very possible this offensive cycle we’ve been in is winding down and we’re evolving into a defensive league again. Or things are at least balancing out. It’s all cyclical. At some point playing defense will be back in vogue again. It looks like it may be happening right now. This thought process of loading up on offense being the only way to be competitive is almost being a creature of the moment. Things always evolve. Defenses are figuring out offenses. It’s clear as day when you watch games this year. Teams aren’t putting up gaudy numbers like they had been the last 5-7 years. Defenses are dominating games. Bears style football may be coming into prominence again.
The game has always been and will continue to be about maximizing talent under the cap. That's why teams that draft well are perennial contenders, and ones that don't are perennial bottom feeders, for the most part.

If the rules make offense easier, then the same holds for all teams. It doesn't diminish the need for defense relative to the other teams. Tampa's defense dominated the Chiefs in the superbowl a couple years ago, which is how they won. The Chiefs didn't get over the hump until their defense stepped up to somewhat match their offense. The only consistent these days is that you need a top 10 QB to really have a prayer at winning the superbowl.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So you believe they're all in?

Agree to disagree.
What does 'all in' mean? Will they try to win every game? Absolutely. Are they making personnel decisions to try and win a SB this year and fuck tomorrow? Absolutely not. it's not a mutually exclusive idea that that the Bear is trying to do well this year in the framework of what is best long term.

I understand why some think they should so everything to win every game this year or throw away the season for a better draft but I actually prefer this more balanced approach and think splash FA signing are for when you feel you have a team that is ready to make a run at the title.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The game has always been and will continue to be about maximizing talent under the cap. That's why teams that draft well are perennial contenders, and ones that don't are perennial bottom feeders, for the most part.

If the rules make offense easier, then the same holds for all teams. It doesn't diminish the need for defense relative to the other teams. Tampa's defense dominated the Chiefs in the superbowl a couple years ago, which is how they won. The Chiefs didn't get over the hump until their defense stepped up to somewhat match their offense. The only consistent these days is that you need a top 10 QB to really have a prayer at winning the superbowl.
I'm not arguing the exception here but to be fair, NE is a notably bad drafting team.
Totally agree with the rest as well.
Nobody should downplay coaching and development in the NFL. No league benefits more.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
What does 'all in' mean? Will they try to win every game? Absolutely. Are they making personnel decisions to try and win a SB this year and fuck tomorrow? Absolutely not. it's not a mutually exclusive idea that that the Bear is trying to do well this year in the framework of what is best long term.

I understand why some think they should so everything to win every game this year or throw away the season for a better draft but I actually prefer this more balanced approach and think splash FA signing are for when you feel you have a team that is ready to make a run at the title.

"All in" means you do everything you can to win a Super Bowl this year, up to and including draft picks for high profile veterans, signig high-profile free agents, and keeping you star talents happy.

The Bears have done none of that. They're rebuilding. They're looking to the future.

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
"All in" means you do everything you can to win a Super Bowl this year, up to and including draft picks for high profile veterans, signig high-profile free agents, and keeping you star talents happy.

The Bears have done none of that. They're rebuilding. They're looking to the future.
Sorry, but you're wrong.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
2-1 isn't going to help with our 25-year rebuild

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I literally said no one wants, including me, to pay Smith $22 million. Are you fucking mental?
Kirk is very highly ranked after playing 3 sub-par defenses! That must settle it then! Brilliant argument

I don't write the news I just read it when people on CCS mention some random player not on the Bears like I've watched whatever games they've watched.

3 sub-par defenses 3 games into the season. Aren't you basing your views off just as much of nothing to see then? I'd be pretty sure he didn't get a big contract on a different team based on nothing but suckage.
Don't forget, I've been around CCS and CBMB for a while. I'm well versed in the rationalizing of some to claim every offensive player on the planet isn't worth it but for some strange reason we need top talent on defense to defend against them.
I really don't care who it is, we just need GOAT WRs yesterday. If you don't like Kirk then find one you do.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I’m not saying they don’t need a top tier receiver. They do. I just want to push back about this obsession with offense and everybody saying the same cliched thing about how offense is mostly all that that matters now. And this fallacy of thinking the trend of the time (offensive centric football) will always be the trend and instead of flipping it will just perpetuate. This idea that offense will just keep evolving and the league will from now on just be about offense. Scoring is down. Offense is down. It’s very possible this offensive cycle we’ve been in is winding down and we’re evolving into a defensive league again. Or things are at least balancing out. It’s all cyclical. At some point playing defense will be back in vogue again. It looks like it may be happening right now. This thought process of loading up on offense being the only way to be competitive is almost being a creature of the moment. Things always evolve. Defenses are figuring out offenses. It’s clear as day when you watch games this year. Teams aren’t putting up gaudy numbers like they had been the last 5-7 years. Defenses are dominating games. Bears style football may be coming into prominence again.
You may be right..............but if the Bears do lay the groundwork for both THIS year with an improved offensive line/running game and a somewhat improved defense, then next offseason it is a no brainer to give Fields some offensive weapons. Currently the Bears seem to be using the Bills blueprint of trying to build both at the same time.

shoez90

Liked Posts:
Poles isn’t trading away high picks this early in his reign.

I was never a fan of trading away a bunch of picks for someone else’s player.

It feels like admitting your own failure as a talent evaluator and then having to pay a premium to another team bc they’re good at it.

Unless. It’s like the final piece to the puzzle, not a big fan of it!
exactly that's why the DeShawn rumors were like wait you gonna give up picks and money for a guy you could have drafted?!? lol

shoez90

Liked Posts:
This season was never going anywhere. Would we benefit from a true WR1? Of course. It would help Mooney be an elite WR2 as well, but it would have been a waste of money to get one now. I think we draft one in the first. There are 3-4 elite WRs that we might be able to get. When we fill in a few more holes (and our OL is looking better already) we'll acquire an elite WR1. We probably go WR 1st round OL 2nd next year IMO. If there is a FA acquisition that makes sense, I'd be okay with them doing that as well. We won't get DK but a WR room of DK, Rookie 1st (Jaxon Smith-Njigba), and Mooney as our WR2/3? Hot damn.
Now you are someone who gets what they're doing to me. This year is not a bust or a tank it's a true rebuild. Sign what you can without giving up the bank, see who is emerging and who will be replaced. by week 8 you'll know exactly who your targeting in next years draft with ALL your picks. You'll have enuff cap space to fill a couple spots on FA. next year record should be 10-7 and beat the Pack. Following year should be all picks, decent cap, beat Pack AND win the North. Etc etc. That's how you get the Patriots not the one hit wonder great defensive year we are accustomed to.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
No. He is not. The Bears are the farthest thing from “all in” this year and it’s obvious to almost everyone.
You need to calm down and reconsider how you understand sarcasm and how much you want to own people on this board

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
No. He is not. The Bears are the farthest thing from “all in” this year and it’s obvious to almost everyone.

Nah M8, They went 'all in' with H.I.T.S .. 3-1 upcoming, unless the refs cheat again.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It's certainly not being coached that way. They are clearly trying to win every game.
That’s part of the problem. There’s very clearly a disconnect between management and coaches on the process, what the goal of this process is, and what the message should be. Luke Getsy’s presser the other day was an embarrassment. Even Courtney Cronin made fun of Getsy insisting that they’re playing with their entire playbook right now.

I don’t know how it will all turn out. Maybe they actually will go on this massive spending spree that everyone on here is oh-so-certain they’ll go on next offseason, and they’ll kick ass and this year was just the beginning of that process.

Or maybe, just maybe, the first-time GM and first-time head coach won’t be the ones to bring the Bears out of their several-decades-long funk. Time will tell, but I’m not giving them the benefit of the doubt just because they’re the newest in a long line of Bears GMs and coaches who are convinced **they’re** the ones who will turn it around.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So you believe they're all in?

Agree to disagree.
Of course they're not completely 'all in' as in thinking they could pull out every stop to win the SB. These catch phrases are sill and unreasonable. They're eating cap for the Mack trade etc but they are doing all they can to win including Poles under the conditions that are for best long term good of the team. Dumbest thing they could do right now is sell out the future for the present but it's not stopping them from doing what's overall best to win games this year while remaining physically responsible. Not really the year to sell out the future for the present.

The silly part is complaining about it.