dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It’s also only been 2 games. If he continues this for 15 more games then we can revisit the overpay/underpay convo
It's been 2 games on a brand new team with a new QB, coaches and system and he's off to a great start, and this comes after having a pretty damn good year last year in Arizona. Obviously still a long way to go but things are going really well so far.

Payton_34

Seattle Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Its a season about positioning yourself to be as good as possible going forward. How do you do that with a young QB? By developing him. How do you help with a young QBs development? Give him weapons.

If Fields isn't the guy, then this existing strategy is absolutely perfect. I doubt that decision was made already, however.
Elite WRs don't grow on trees and they don't come cheap. This season is about the players (Fields included) building character and they'll be better for it (those who remain on the roster going forward). I understand what you're saying about Fields' development but if he can make lemonade out of lemons as this season continues, think how much stronger he'll be when 2-3 top-end WRs are added to the roster next year.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly. Unless you trade for Hill or AJ Brown and both would have cost a 1st at the very least on top of paying them big money. I expect at least 1-2 WR next draft

and im pretty sure neither would have been ecstatic about coming here
Christian Kirk could’ve been had for 0 picks. He’s a top 10 wr this year and is only 25.

He got big $ and now he’s producing for his young 2nd year QB.

Instead we tried to pay a busted ass DT.

How’d that work out? Even if Ogunjobi didn’t fail his physical, only 10 mil more guaranteed and we could’ve gotten Kirk.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Christian Kirk could’ve been had for 0 picks. He’s a top 10 wr this year and is only 25.

He got big $ and now he’s producing for his young 2nd year QB.

Instead we tried to pay a busted ass DT.

How’d that work out? Even if Ogunjobi didn’t fail his physical, only 10 mil more guaranteed and we could’ve gotten Kirk.

Yeah I'm sure Christian Kirk is all Fields needs to be good

Applefan

Liked Posts:
How many Super Bowls have the Vikings and Cowboys made in the last 20 years with elite WR's. It's all relative to each team.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'd take 2 elite tackles (LT & RT) over an Elite WR right now.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I’m going to laugh if Poles only spends half that 100 million. I wonder if he talked George into this being a 3+ year job that has to be fixed through the draft mostly.

Also think its funny fans are excited about all this draft capital. They don’t have some large amount of capital. They just have a normal slate of picks but because we’re so used to Pace dumping them it SEEMS like a lot.
That’s why I’m hoping he can move Quinn, Jackson or Whitehair.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Certainly seems to be the case for Lawerence

Lawrence is playing better because of his own doing. Fields is not. So can you judge anyone in the passing offense when the QB isn't seeing the field?

napo55

Liked Posts:
The Bears have the worst WR group in the NFL. Every year there is an excuse why not to draft one with the first pick. No wonder this franchise is the answer to the Jeopardy question: Where do WRs and QBs go to die?

And putting it off a year means if the team ever does draft a quality receiver, he will be a rookie and typically need a couple of years to adapt to the league.

Will they ever learn? I doubt it.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Bears have the worst WR group in the NFL. Every year there is an excuse why not to draft one with the first pick. No wonder this franchise is the answer to the Jeopardy question: Where do WRs and QBs go to die?

And putting it off a year means if the team ever does draft a quality receiver, he will be a rookie and typically need a couple of years to adapt to the league.

Will they ever learn? I doubt it.

You dont know that because Justin doesn't throw to the open WRs

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I can't believe I'm going to have to start blocking those who are continually preaching against something as obvious as having a good offense. Nobody is that stupid. It has to be a major troll job.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Methinks this is a tank year.

A lot of dead money on the books.

Next year, a lot of cap room.

This year is a reset and start over.
It's certainly not being coached that way. They are clearly trying to win every game.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
How many Super Bowls have the Vikings and Cowboys made in the last 20 years with elite WR's. It's all relative to each team.
The game is much different than even 10 years ago, let alone 20.

If you look at the top contenders how many have weak WR cores? GB and Baltimore?

Everybody else has very good receiving talent at minimum: Philly, Buffalo, Miami, LA, Tampa (when healthy), Vikings, KC

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
It's certainly not being coached that way. They are clearly trying to win every game.

I'm sure the players and coaches want to win - That's natural.

I don't think, however, that the front office is all in - They're looking towards next year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm sure the players and coaches want to win - That's natural.

I don't think, however, that the front office is all in - They're looking towards next year.
What have you seen to indicate that? Not spending money on a WR that would have stopped us from signing 4 or more other starters?

Last edited:

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
What have you seen to indicate that? Not spending money on a WR that would have stopped us from signing a 4 or ore other starters?

The fact that the Bears are not spending money anywhere...Roquan can't even get an extension, much less any significant FA signings (unless you think a couple of Green Bay cast-offs is significant).

Next year, dead money off the books, I expect it to be different.