Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The fact that the Bears are not spending money anywhere...Roquan can't even get an extension, much less any significant FA signings (unless you think a couple of Green Bay cast-offs is significant).

Next year, dead money off the books, I expect it to be different.
Roquan was offered a very sizeable extension that would likely have eaten some of this years cap as bonus. They attempted to spend more but Poles had a couple of failed FA signings. It would have been silly to sign a top WR or OL this year with the current cap situation and surrounding players that would have been even more lacking with a splash signing emptying the coffers. We'd have a great player lined up for next year but the team would be in even worse overall shape and even more difficult to develop.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
The fact that the Bears are not spending money anywhere...Roquan can't even get an extension, much less any significant FA signings (unless you think a couple of Green Bay cast-offs is significant).

Next year, dead money off the books, I expect it to be different.

To be fair, if the cap site is right I think they only have $7-$9 million to spend this year. Can't get much in FA with that. The answer was in the 2 2nd rounders.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:

How do you guys think the Bears should address their WR issue going forward? Do they make a trade? Do they look toward the waiver wire for help? Do they address the need through the draft?
Come up with some solutions.

Draft Addison, Boutte, or Jaxon Smith-Njigba (if healthy) in the first round and Cedric Tillman would also be a great option in round 3-4. They should also be active for a big name receiver in FA or the trade market. There will be a ton of options.

napo55

Liked Posts:
To be fair, if the cap site is right I think they only have $7-$9 million to spend this year. Can't get much in FA with that. The answer was in the 2 2nd rounders.
They did have substantially more at the beginning of free agency, but chose not to sign a quality offensive skill player. But, you're right, the draft was the best way to go and, again, the offense was neglected with the top two picks.

Reactions: Myk

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We definitely need a stud WR1. Mooney is not that guy. Elite WR2? Sure, maybe. But he's not a 1. Fields missing open WR has nothing to do with us not having a true elite WR1. So, there's plenty of blame to go around—Fields holding too long, not seeing the progressions, OL not being good enough, etc.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Draft Addison, Boutte, or Jaxon Smith-Njigba (if healthy) in the first round and Cedric Tillman would also be a great option in round 3-4. They should also be active for a big name receiver in FA or the trade market. There will be a ton of options.
I like that idea.........Why stop at only one WR in next year's draft.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everyone pissed about the Bears not getting an élite Wr doesn't remember the fact we had no cap really. Also about half a roaster on the team taking up the majority of the cap. Poles had to go 3rd 4th tier players just to fill the roaster. The only argument you can make is with the money we went and almost spent on that one DT that failed a physical on a WR on day one instead.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Fields is seeing ghosts, having randy moss in his prime doesn't fix that.

He needs to get his confidence back, I'm sure he will.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Everyone pissed about the Bears not getting an élite Wr doesn't remember the fact we had no cap really. Also about half a roaster on the team taking up the majority of the cap. Poles had to go 3rd 4th tier players just to fill the roaster. The only argument you can make is with the money we went and almost spent on that one DT that failed a physical on a WR on day one instead.

Considering the price difference, you'd pay way more for a WR than a DT

If there was a WR of that caliber available, but the WR free agents were weak. Amari Cooper would have been nice but he probably had a say in where he was traded to

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
If they can move Roquan or Quinn and get a serious WR threat, I'd be all for that. Anything to show the young QB1 that you're in his corner.
I'm beginning to think that Poles is not in his corner.
I think Quinn’s “illness” is keeping him healthy for one of the two LA teams.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
I’m not saying they don’t need a top tier receiver. They do. I just want to push back about this obsession with offense and everybody saying the same cliched thing about how offense is mostly all that that matters now. And this fallacy of thinking the trend of the time (offensive centric football) will always be the trend and instead of flipping it will just perpetuate. This idea that offense will just keep evolving and the league will from now on just be about offense. Scoring is down. Offense is down. It’s very possible this offensive cycle we’ve been in is winding down and we’re evolving into a defensive league again. Or things are at least balancing out. It’s all cyclical. At some point playing defense will be back in vogue again. It looks like it may be happening right now. This thought process of loading up on offense being the only way to be competitive is almost being a creature of the moment. Things always evolve. Defenses are figuring out offenses. It’s clear as day when you watch games this year. Teams aren’t putting up gaudy numbers like they had been the last 5-7 years. Defenses are dominating games. Bears style football may be coming into prominence again.

• Haha

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
But do you really want to pay WR Kirk $21 million per year?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
They did have substantially more at the beginning of free agency, but chose not to sign a quality offensive skill player. But, you're right, the draft was the best way to go and, again, the offense was neglected with the top two picks.

Yep. There was opportunity to address offense that were ignored. I was mainly talking about the immediate future. Offense was ignored so hard it's not likely to get any help this season.

Fields is seeing ghosts, having randy moss in his prime doesn't fix that.

He needs to get his confidence back, I'm sure he will.

To fix those ghosts will take protection and targets.

I’m not saying they don’t need a top tier receiver. They do. I just want to push back about this obsession with offense and everybody saying the same cliched thing about how offense is mostly all that that matters now. And this fallacy of thinking the trend of the time (offensive centric football) will always be the trend and instead of flipping it will just perpetuate. This idea that offense will just keep evolving and the league will from now on just be about offense. Scoring is down. Offense is down. It’s very possible this offensive cycle we’ve been in is winding down and we’re evolving into a defensive league again. Or things are at least balancing out. It’s all cyclical. At some point playing defense will be back in vogue again. It looks like it may be happening right now. This thought process of loading up on offense being the only way to be competitive is almost being a creature of the moment. Things always evolve. Defenses are figuring out offenses. It’s clear as day when you watch games this year. Teams aren’t putting up gaudy numbers like they had been the last 5-7 years. Defenses are dominating games. Bears style football may be coming into prominence again.

If the NFL were to roll with it and make defense not a penalty again THEN we could change the team makeup. We've been in a perpetual rebuild and mostly fighting against having an offense since 2009 and the rules were changing before then.
When they made Hester a penalty trying him elsewhere was understandable. But when Urlacher was made a penalty continually trying to replace him at the expense of WRs who have been made hands off makes no sense. Changing the makeup of a team does not take 4 years.
You cross that bridge when you get to it. You don't worry about it happening 15 years before it happens.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Roquan was offered a very sizeable extension that would likely have eaten some of this years cap as bonus. They attempted to spend more but Poles had a couple of failed FA signings. It would have been silly to sign a top WR or OL this year with the current cap situation and surrounding players that would have been even more lacking with a splash signing emptying the coffers. We'd have a great player lined up for next year but the team would be in even worse overall shape and even more difficult to develop.

So you believe they're all in?

Agree to disagree.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:

I agree - Not much money to spend this year, and no first rounder.

They also sent Mack packing and got a 2nd rounder in return - When you deal veteran starters for draft capital, you're looking to the future.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
More than I'd want to pay Smith $22 million per year.

That’s a completely irrelevant statement and argument but not surprising coming from you.

Me: do we want to pay a career #2 WR $21 million per year

You: it’s better than paying Smith $22 million!(which no one, including the front office, wants to do)

Maybe the Bears should have drafted a backup RB like Etienne in the 1st round last year like you wanted to…