Not to be a debbie downer

bearsden

Liked Posts:
Anyone else is excited for the season to come but also feel like the Bears are going to suck? I hope im wrong but we lost most of the defensive line. Our best wide receiver. The main thing im interested in is to see how Justin Fields does in his second year.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Anyone else is excited for the season to come but also feel like the Bears are going to suck? I hope im wrong but we lost most of the defensive line. Our best wide receiver. The main thing im interested in is to see how Justin Fields does in his second year.
We lost nothing of real value. No one that made an impact in 2021, where we won 6 games, against a much tougher schedule, and with a moron as HC.

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We lost nothing of real value. No one that made an impact in 2021, where we won 6 games, against a much tougher schedule, and with a moron as HC.
Win six this year. Then progress to nine next. Super bowl thereafter

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
They’re going to suck. Like top 5 pick in next years draft suck. The offense is going to try to run the ball behind the worst offensive line in football that lost its best 2 OL, (but Peters wants to play again this year so I’d give him a call especially if there’s not a commitment to Jenkins or Borom at LT, which there doesn’t seem to be with camp headlines.)

The defense is transitioning, which is a nice way to say they’re going to suck by running an outdated defense and the guru who made it a ferocious defense in Indy the past few years isn’t calling plays, the moron who managed a worse defense with all-pros and pro-bowlers in Minnesota a decade ago than Mel Tucker’s 31st ranked defense.

But there are always silver linings to bad teams who are going to be sticking around the bottom of the league for a couple years, there’s going to be one or more nobodies who play their way into the conversation for a future building block when the teams good again in another 2-3 years earliest.

But there are some with no working brain cells who will piss on you and tell you it’s raining, and that losing Khalil Mack doesn’t matter because he was nothing of real value.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears prob won't be racking up wins but there is still gon be lots of interesting and hopefully entertaining shit to watch this season.

I'm excited for a return of the defensive swagger.

But anything will be better than the ckusterfuck we've had to endure the last few years.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
In bad seasons like this one very likely will be, I just try to concentrate on the development of young players.

Really will be watching Fields take the next step and hopefully watch Borom and Jenkins develop.

Defensively, I will have my eye on the 2 rookie DBs.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
There seem to be two main different lines of thought on the Bears record this year.

1) Look at last year, they can't be much worse than that.

2) Look at the rest of the league. The Bears are very near the bottom in talent level.

I haven't seen too much of the first recently outside of one post in this thread but I know it's championed by Adam Hoge.

IMO the first point pulls together too many questionable transitive ideas for me to put much stock in. Most (not all) people using it tend to view an idealized version of what this roster "could/should be" versus the roster last year after injuries and other normal pitfalls, while assuming any change is "good change" or that the people that were filtered out were a very large part of the problem. (Nagy was, I'll cede that point, but have no idea if Eberflus/Getsy is a significant upgrade yet).

But yes, I'm excited about Fields but nervous that he doesn't have the talent around him to show much. If Fields gets hurt, this could easily turn into the 2004 Bears in terms of watchability. The good news is that they were in the SB two years later, so there's hope that we're watching the begining.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My biggest frustration watching the Bears under Nagy was being outmatched in coaching to the point our talent didn't matter. There was no in-game adjustment and very little player development since Vic left.

The national media focuses on lack of established talent but this team should be a bunch of overachieving try-hards that we can get behind. Even the OL, which is my biggest area of concern, has a bunch of young talent to develop.

Getsy is still an unknown, of course, but it seems like schematically he understands how to help Fields. At minimum, if he fills the void of Nagy's ignorance with baseline competence, we should see immediate gains with heavy run game to set up play action and screens to offset pass rush.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I mean... if you aren't going into this season EXPECTING the Bears to suck, there's something wrong with you.

New HC, new players, new systems, 2nd year QB with question marks because of how badly he was mishandled by the previous regime.... I could go on.

This year is about seeing how the team comes together - having any other expectations for this season is just asking to be disappointed.

Once we get a handle on all that this year, then for next year I think the expectations can be ramped up....

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m not excited. I would like to be for player development, but they haven’t done anything to improve the Oline. The second most important position in the NFL is our weakest position.

How can Fields develop if he’s either running for his life or looking over his shoulder every play?

How can you evaluate Fields and know whether or not you need to use next year’s first rd pick on a QB if his LT (and RG) are the weakest positions on the team?

When Poles came in, he stressed the importance of having a reliable Oline. He has made one upgrade which is actually a wash since the guy Lucas replaced is still a starting olinemen, just moved over one spot.

Most people here are giving Poles the benefit of the doubt. I’m not. I’ve seen too many shitty bears teams in my life and have realized, just because the GM is different than the last guy doesn’t mean he’s better.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I cherish that I still have a grandpa alive at my age. I'm not going to cherish a football game lmao wtf
Cherish every win and make sure to say your prayers for Virginia McCaskey before you go to bed.

Wtf is up with this fanbase

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Overall they are very likely going to suck (I guess it depends on how you define suck but imo 6 wins=sucks), however there will be several individual bright spots to be optimistic about. Does Fields take the next step? Does Herbert show that he's capable of being the #1 RB so we dont have to devote cap space to Montgomery? Do any of the young OL show they are better than Mustipher level? etc.

There are a bunch of unknowns that *if* enough of them payoff the Bears could be decently positioned to create a nice competitive window starting in '23. Or they could have completely screwed the pooch on this rebuild. We wont know until we see them play, but I personally see enough potential building blocks of a future successful team (not gonna be '22 though) to be excited about the season.

Last edited:

Bust

Liked Posts:

what makes the nfl great is It's all about the luck of the ball bounces and turnovers (means the project from ohio state needs to protect the ball. that mofo turned the ball over 22 times last year, lol). Fields will be on a short leash under Poles/Eberfluss watch if that trend continues.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Can't wait for the IGT's. Seeing all the crying and bitching from the usual suspects even though everyone of them knew before the first snap what to expect. On the other side of the coin.....if by some miracle that the Bears should beat the 49ers....we have the massive 180 turn and get to hear how this team could surprise.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I'm excited about Fields but nervous that he doesn't have the talent around him to show much.
I don't think he will throw for a ton or yards or TDs because he is going to have to throw the ball away often and will probably get more QB pressure than average.

But there will still be plenty to watch. Blitz recognition, read progression, pocket awareness, accuracy. I think when Fields really knows what he is seeing (2nd half of this season.. maybe even his 3rd season) and also knows where his people are supposed to be (year 2 in a new system) we will understand what we have.