Now that you’ve seen an entire Poles off-season how are you feeling CCS?

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:

That was uncalled for.

Who else loves Tragic and Johnny's love child. I know sure do.

Calm down Migos

Literally fung suede these two nerdy girls for at least of all the fatter side of 95±++ minutes and now I am literally presently getting a calve massage because it got ceased up probably from my dehydration challenges because I have been drinking massive amounts of topo chico since about around approximately 4 pm cst and am feeling very cramped up and stiffish towards the point of actural pain but I think if one of these hos will go find some tequilas out of my side table then maybe perhaps I will feel better plus ice in a bag because I am fully planning on waking up tomorrow

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
I'm content with his drafting and bringing youth and competition across the roster. I was less impressed with his attempts to bring in FAs as the ones we've gotten have not worked out as well with injuries to date or have underperformed so far. I hope the info from inside Halas Hall about the improved culture pays dividends. I think the lack of big names who have starting roles locked up has resulted in a roster of younger, high ceiling players eager to put in the effort to prove themselves. It remains to be seen if we can get success from that type of approach but there are definitely teams that have been successful in the past and have become exporters of talent as they take unproven talent, develop and then trade off to other teams for additional draft capital.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
I'm content with his drafting and bringing youth and competition across the roster. I was less impressed with his attempts to bring in FAs as the ones we've gotten have not worked out as well with injuries to date or have underperformed so far. I hope the info from inside Halas Hall about the improved culture pays dividends. I think the lack of big names who have starting roles locked up has resulted in a roster of younger, high ceiling players eager to put in the effort to prove themselves. It remains to be seen if we can get success from that type of approach but there are definitely teams that have been successful in the past and have become exporters of talent as they take unproven talent, develop and then trade off to other teams for additional draft capital.
I agree.

That said, why keep Pennel over Tonga, or Adams over Caleb Johnson?

I like the pickups of Leatherwood (eventual replacement for Whitehair), Wells (DT), and Weatherford. But if we're looking for youth and high-ceiling players, why keep Pennel, Adams, and Reiff? Why not go young?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
This is a good question.

I'm cautiously, very optimistic. Poles is definitely remaking this team in the image he wants. This 1st year is the typical 1st year for a GM rebuilding a franchise. I'm really interested to see where it goes from here. Because I really don't expect it to be (and certainly hope it isn't) similar to this offseason.

Made 11 draft picks, 2 UDFAs on the 53-man, 6 more hand picked claims. That's 18 players added to the 53 man roster (not including Zach Thomas who likely is signed to the PS today). I hope next year focuses more on quality than quantity. They already turned over 2/3 of the roster. 1/3 of which could be long term pieces.

Now it's time to spend some money and focus on getting some players who are potentially on a Bears contending team. Get your 7-8 draft picks. Get some premium talent. Build this around Fields and go for it while he's still on a rookie deal.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
This is a good question.

I'm cautiously, very optimistic. Poles is definitely remaking this team in the image he wants. This 1st year is the typical 1st year for a GM rebuilding a franchise. I'm really interested to see where it goes from here. Because I really don't expect it to be (and certainly hope it isn't) similar to this offseason.

Made 11 draft picks, 2 UDFAs on the 53-man, 6 more hand picked claims. That's 18 players added to the 53 man roster (not including Zach Thomas who likely is signed to the PS today). I hope next year focuses more on quality than quantity. They already turned over 2/3 of the roster. 1/3 of which could be long term pieces.

Now it's time to spend some money and focus on getting some players who are potentially on a Bears contending team. Get your 7-8 draft picks. Get some premium talent. Build this around Fields and go for it while he's still on a rookie deal.
I think some of those players have been added over this offseason.

Gordon, Brisker, Velus Jones, Robinson, Braxton Jones, and Trenton Gill all look to be key pieces.

Leatherwood may very well be the guy who replaces Whitehair at LG long-term. Weatherford looks like a steal, too, especially as a SLB in this version of the Tampa 2. Kind of a hybrid SS/LB.

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
As a long time Bears fan who still believes defense wins championship I liked the Eberflus hire. As a modern football fan I really liked the Getsy hire. Which was probably an Eberflus hire but still reflects well on Poles. I also liked his first draft but for full disclosure I also liked Pace's first draft, which in retrospect turned out to be one of the worst in recent memory. But unlike Pace it looks like Poles has a plan and is working it. Which for the Bears is a refreshing change of pace. So I'm good for now but reserve the right to bitch later.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
As a long time Bears fan who still believes defense wins championship I liked the Eberflus hire. As a modern football fan I really liked the Getsy hire. Which was probably an Eberflus hire but still reflects well on Poles. I also liked his first draft but for full disclosure I also liked Pace's first draft, which in retrospect turned out to be one of the worst in recent memory. But unlike Pace it looks like Poles has a plan and is working it. Which for the Bears is a refreshing change of pace. So I'm good for now but reserve the right to bitch later.
White was a bust - although a GM can't control injuries. Grasu was solid, but also seems to have had a lot of injuries.
Goldman and Amos were very good.

Not a horrible draft, but a very unlucky one.

mceownr22

PacetheGawd
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I completely agree with a lot of sentiment here. He is disciplined with the plan as we can all clearly see the tear down and start of the rebuild.

The other parts are the staff he hired are 100% instilling a different culture here that we haven't had in awhile. It is showing in pre season.

Can't wait to revisit this at the end of the season

puckthefackers

Liked Posts:
Not sure yet but I do like that he is stacking; draft capital, cap space, youth. Pace spent like a fucking drunken sailor on shore for the 1st time in 6 months, no thought to the future.

The coaching is much improved, not too surprising considering how bad Nagy was. But from the little bit I've seen/read about in preseason, they are aggressive, disciplined and know what their assignment is which is necessary to be a consistently good team.

If Brisker and VJJ do not outperform the WRs Poles passed on... that'll be a sore spot

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Not sure yet but I do like that he is stacking; draft capital, cap space, youth. Pace spent like a fucking drunken sailor on shore for the 1st time in 6 months, no thought to the future.

The coaching is much improved, not too surprising considering how bad Nagy was. But from the little bit I've seen/read about in preseason, they are aggressive, disciplined and know what their assignment is which is necessary to be a consistently good team.

If Brisker and VJJ do not outperform the WRs Poles passed on... that'll be a sore spot
I agree with everything but the last part. You shouldn’t judge Poles’s draft picks based on if they outperform other picks or not. If they contribute and help out the Bears within the next 1-3 years, that’s a plus.

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
White was a bust - although a GM can't control injuries. Grasu was solid, but also seems to have had a lot of injuries.

Grasu was not solid unless you're talking about solidly weak and a solidly perpetually released practice squad player whomst started most of his games as a starter for the Bears and since then literally has been passed around the NFL like a box of wine at my mom's sexual toy sales parties when she used to live in a trailer park. I will never understand why anyone ever would ever call Grasu solid and am even more lacking in understanding that he still has a contract with a NFL team!

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
I agree with everything but the last part. You shouldn’t judge Poles’s draft picks based on if they outperform other picks or not. If they contribute and help out the Bears within the next 1-3 years, that’s a plus.
Agreed, and Brisker and Gordon will also be huge helps to Justin Fields by virtue of shoring up a leaky defense that put the Bears in a position where they had to pay catch-up.

The best 4th quarter comeback is the one you don't have to make. The best game-winning drive is one that comes in the first quarter because the defense shut the other team down.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I mean...can we trade away a couple of first rounders for a player...please??

That is the only way Poles is going to win me over

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Grasu was not solid. Amos was the only player out of that draft that was any good at all. And he's on the Packers.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Listened to the interview Poles did with Hoge and Jahns. I'm still in the wait and see camp, but I think I could like him. He seems very organized, thoughtful and purposeful. It's worth a listen, only 20 minutes

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
The big issue for me is can you draft talent, and we don't have much information one way or another on that. If these draft choices work out then we could have a very solid GM here.

basically everyone in the draft has talent... certain talents just need less work......can you develop said talent.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I don't feel.

I think Poles has the right ideas. top to bottom I like the direction the team's going from Poles on down. we already knew it was going to be an ugly and disastrous season. what matters is he's moving the pieces where they need to go for next season and beyond... which is more than I can say for Pace who kept throwing money at previous problems and digging deeper holes to inevitably never get out of.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
We’ve been through the whole off-season now. Barring any last minute trades the roster is pretty set. The plan is evident…. go young. Develop the young guys. Don’t burn future draft picks. Get the cap right for the future.

You guys happy? Not happy? Where we at CCS?
I'm very happy. Fans need to being in the mindset to ignore the W-L record. It's all about the things you mentioned for 2022. I think Poles is doing a very good job setting this team up for 2023 and beyond. A Very nice foundation is being built.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree.

That said, why keep Pennel over Tonga, or Adams over Caleb Johnson?

I like the pickups of Leatherwood (eventual replacement for Whitehair), Wells (DT), and Weatherford. But if we're looking for youth and high-ceiling players, why keep Pennel, Adams, and Reiff? Why not go young?
Part of this is also not forcing players on the coaches outside of developmental types. It's not just Poles when it comes to the middle of the roster.

Hard do know about Poles until the team is more average and we get to the next phase. He's seem very willing to discuss things with media and comes off as a regular guy while not trying to portray something he's not. I like it but at the same time, there will be a piint where he'll need to be large and in charge. I think he's got it but we'll know more after more stressful situations and his responses.

Dagman310

Liked Posts:
Dude seems to have a plan and his actions line up with his words. I was hesitant with the HC hire, but I am feeling a lot better about that as well. The staff appears to be in sync. Its been a long time since the Bears held the staff and players to a high standard. It feels like there is a plan in place. The discipline of the front office and coaches is impressive. Hopefully it stays that way when things get rough. The hiring of Cunningham was a fantastic move.