Nylander Re-signed

Granada

Liked Posts:
Yay, I guess? This dude reminds me too much of Stalberg (who retired recently by the way) in the short time he's been a Hawk and when he hasn't been hurt. At least he's cheap at 1 year and 848,000 -- pretty much a last chance, prove yourself contract by Stanny-boy. Guess he doesn't want to admit trading Joker for this guy was a terrible decision just yet.

I wonder what the forward lines will be. There is really a logjam now with Strome/Kurashev/Carpenter/Connelly/Nylander/Borgstrom/Gaudette.

Assuming they don't trade and/or waive Strome and Connelly, my guess is:

Kubalik-Toews-Kurashev/Strome
Cat-Dach-Kane
Hagel-Johnson-Connelly
Nylander-Khaira-Carpenter
Borgstrom

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he earns his starts fine...he should be just a guy now.

As one of the top 25 its a good depth signing with upside. He has had some family time to hopefully find his heart.

He needs to show he wants it for the city he is in and sacrifice his life for a time.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's not a top 6 forward, yet doesn't fit at all on the bottom six. At least it's a cheap deal. I'd rather not see the guy on the ice at all unless he earns his way in camp or pre. No more free ice time for a floater.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's not a top 6 forward, yet doesn't fit at all on the bottom six. At least it's a cheap deal. I'd rather not see the guy on the ice at all unless he earns his way in camp or pre. No more free ice time for a floater.
Basically this, but given that Bowman the Beancounter is going to try to save face I'm sure Nylander will get a lot of shots this year.

I don't think Bowman's the type to hate floaters, though. He seems to be the type to buy into hype and on-paper talent, but puts execution and heart secondary unless it hits him upside his bald head.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Basically this, but given that Bowman the Beancounter is going to try to save face I'm sure Nylander will get a lot of shots this year.

I don't think Bowman's the type to hate floaters, though. He seems to be the type to buy into hype and on-paper talent, but puts execution and heart secondary unless it hits him upside his bald head.
Perfect description of Bowman.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's got enough skill to be a player. His problem appears to be between the ears. Somebody....friend, lover, whatever has to wake his ass up before he blows his career. I don't know his family history but just watching how he plays makes me think he had a lot of shit handed to him growing up. Being an NHL player requires a work ethic which is something he is in short supply of.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's got enough skill to be a player. His problem appears to be between the ears. Somebody....friend, lover, whatever has to wake his ass up before he blows his career. I don't know his family history but just watching how he plays makes me think he had a lot of shit handed to him growing up. Being an NHL player requires a work ethic which is something he is in short supply of.

His Dad played for the Hawks.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As mentioned, his father played at the NHL level...but you are probably correct in that his family legacy might have made him deficient in the heart department--thinking that he can just ride in on Daddy's coattails (much like our GM).

If Nylander had half the heart Hagel has he'd be a valuable piece, but unfortunately there are just some players that lack that drive and work ethic, and Nylander seems to be one of them. That loops back to my observation about Stan; he puts more stock into on-paper than on-ice. I think that might be because the team he inherited was so good that he always ended up picking down in the draft and had to look at project players. Because he already had the major pieces of the line-up covered, he could afford to take on the project players. The ones that worked might have given him a confirmation bias to the point where the thinks he could get away with gambling with high-ceiling/high risk players and that he or his coaches could fix their heart/attitude issues (Nylander falls here). But now without the safety net of the core that Smith/Tallon built, he's not been able to make the shift to go to the lower risk/patience in development mindset, and is looking for that killer piece that can put it all together for the whole team while the team itself is decaying.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As mentioned, his father played at the NHL level...but you are probably correct in that his family legacy might have made him deficient in the heart department--thinking that he can just ride in on Daddy's coattails (much like our GM).

If Nylander had half the heart Hagel has he'd be a valuable piece, but unfortunately there are just some players that lack that drive and work ethic, and Nylander seems to be one of them. That loops back to my observation about Stan; he puts more stock into on-paper than on-ice. I think that might be because the team he inherited was so good that he always ended up picking down in the draft and had to look at project players. Because he already had the major pieces of the line-up covered, he could afford to take on the project players. The ones that worked might have given him a confirmation bias to the point where the thinks he could get away with gambling with high-ceiling/high risk players and that he or his coaches could fix their heart/attitude issues (Nylander falls here). But now without the safety net of the core that Smith/Tallon built, he's not been able to make the shift to go to the lower risk/patience in development mindset, and is looking for that killer piece that can put it all together for the whole team while the team itself is decaying.
My point exactly. So he is the son of an NHL player? Not sure what that has to do with anything. We still have no idea how he was raised. His attitude is the only thing holding him back. You would think he would know better but if he was coddled and had everything handed to him....well, sometimes it's just tough for some kids to breakaway from family and grow up.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Was hoping Nylander and Strome were goneski

After all the drama with Strome last off-season, I'm shocked he hasn't been moved yet. He's pretty much become the new Anisimov in that there's not really a spot for him, unless maybe they move him to wing on the 3rd line. Similar to Nylander, Strome isn't very effective as a bottom six player, although Johnson and Hagel may help that.

Between Strome, Nylander, and Connelly especially, I really don't know what the plan is for any of them. Does Stan waive Connelly or do the Hawks give him a chance?

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
After all the drama with Strome last off-season, I'm shocked he hasn't been moved yet. He's pretty much become the new Anisimov in that there's not really a spot for him, unless maybe they move him to wing on the 3rd line. Similar to Nylander, Strome isn't very effective as a bottom six player, although Johnson and Hagel may help that.

Between Strome, Nylander, and Connelly especially, I really don't know what the plan is for any of them. Does Stan waive Connelly or do the Hawks give him a chance?
I would take AA over Strome on the Hawks any day of the week, if the ages were similar that is.
Panarin, Kane and AA was just fun to watch, Strome, has overstayed his visit but doesn’t really have anywhere to go.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would take AA over Strome on the Hawks any day of the week, if the ages were similar that is.
Panarin, Kane and AA was just fun to watch, Strome, has overstayed his visit but doesn’t really have anywhere to go.

Yep. At least AA went to the front of the net and camped there. It helped a lot with Kane and Panarin getting all those goals.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yep. At least AA went to the front of the net and camped there. It helped a lot with Kane and Panarin getting all those goals.
Yep. That's why I have aversions to players who don't give their all or are not willing to do the dirty work...like Nylander.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My point exactly. So he is the son of an NHL player? Not sure what that has to do with anything. We still have no idea how he was raised. His attitude is the only thing holding him back. You would think he would know better but if he was coddled and had everything handed to him....well, sometimes it's just tough for some kids to breakaway from family and grow up.
Except his brother is a fine player without heart problems. Good player even. Are you proposing one brother was raised right and the other not?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Except his brother is a fine player without heart problems. Good player even. Are you proposing one brother was raised right and the other not?
Could be, but I don't live with them and wouldn't know....are you neighbors or something? I'm just trying to figure out why he is the way he is. He has a bad attitude and while it could be mental or physical....when it is still a problem when you are in your 20's, it's usually because it wasn't detected or handled properly as a child. So yeah, it's very possible to have brothers going in different directions.....but as I said, I do not know them so it's just conjecture.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Are we talking about Nolander or the 22yro who showed up here and put up 51pts in his first 58 games? Nolander will never see a 50+ point season...........in 82 games..........BOOK IT!
I don't give a shit who the team trades any more and that includes Strome but he looked like a real center playing with D-Cat and D-Cat looked like a million bucks playing with Strome but Harry Potter wouldn't have it. I know I'll hear about how he has to 'earn it',which he did his first year here but WTF did Sukera and Nolander do to earn their top six minutes?

YES,Strome should be able to produce more without D-Cat,he should have a better all around game and he should be better at FO's.......and I shoulda been born rich too.

Separating Strome and D-Cat half way through the first game following career numbers together led to D-Cat having a poor year also................brilliant! Balanced scoring.........LOL! Strome also suffered a high ankle sprain his second year here and it affected his play.

It's not like Strome has been centering Kane or even a player he has chemistry with like D-Cat,why re-sign him and then skate him as a 3rd line wing?

If this player's all around game is so weak that 38gls/106pts in his first 156 games here means little,how were Nolander and Sukera's all around games?

47% at the dot is unacceptable but 37% is the future of the team........I got that right? I'd also like to see some physicality from the 6'3" Strome as I would the 6'4" Dach.

And yeah,comparing AA's game while playing with two of the league's best offensive players to Strome's skatin' wing with two 3rd line scrubs seems fair!

I do however agree that there's no spot for Strome here,Harry Potter took care of that and with JT's anticipated return and our new 5M 3rd line center we should be better at the position. Dach is a talented,young forward and I do see a decent future for him in the league but he still has a LOT to prove and shouldn't this Borgstom kid(if 24 is still a kid)be a legit starting NHL center after we ate Brent 'buyout' Connolly's 7M bucks to get him?

I see the holes in Strome's game too but why not leave him and D-Cat together for another season following their BLOW OUT year together?

YES,it is up to players to not get discouraged and it's also up to HC's not to discourage players......especially young players.