OC Candidates for next year...?

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
For whatever reason, there never seems to be anyone good available when we really need someone to come in and take control of this offense...i don't really like the idea of Bates.

Jason Garrett would be my pick, but the cow girls need to miss the playoffs for him to be available. Any other ideas?

dondraper

coordinators dont make lateral moves so there is little to no chance of getting jay gruden unless maybe we hire jon gruden as hc

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Gruden is already an OC, either he'll get a HC job or stay in CIN as an OC imo.

Reactions: X

BearsMod1

Liked Posts:
Gruden will become OC here because we will hire his brother Jon to be HC.

he runs similar D to lovie so not much to change.

you guys are out your mind if you don't think Gruden is a hell of a OC.

if Jon doens't get hired as OC than get Jay Gruden to be ass. HC and OC he can come than

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Bill O'Brien

JaySix

Liked Posts:
That McD guy seems good. I heard he loves Jay and BM.....

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Probably be someone like Jeremy Bates.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Thats what I mean...Bates is not a proven OC, which is why we keep having to get a new one every other freaking year! Maybe Tice stays, and gets one more shot, but i don't know...I don't really want to see another OC here unless this time its a good one. If its another no name or new up and commer, I think we should just give Tice some talent on the line to work with and let him have one more crack at it.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Thats what I mean...Bates is not a proven OC, which is why we keep having to get a new one every other freaking year! Maybe Tice stays, and gets one more shot, but i don't know...I don't really want to see another OC here unless this time its a good one. If its another no name or new up and commer, I think we should just give Tice some talent on the line to work with and let him have one more crack at it.

Well just like Quarterback, the Bears can't figure out the OC position either..soo thats why its Bear logic to promote Bates. Until this organization proves me wrong, I'm going to continue to believe they do shit like this. Once Lovie was given an ultimatum through the media after the 2009 season by Angelo, I knew no coordinators would sign here except desperate one and in-house promotions. Therefore I knew Mike Martz would be our OC and Marinelli would be promoted to DC. Obviously Marinelli has worked out pretty good and I'm more than happy with that promotion though I was skeptical as hell about it. I knew the same would happen last year after Martz was let go in which Tice would be promoted to OC. I was skeptical as hell about that as well, and this time its showing that it was a god awful move.

I dont think you necessarily have to have prior experience as a play caller to be one, but Tice seems to even really lack much of a brain for playcalling period. The Bears really need to think outside the box, but they're not going to.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Scoot26

theTruth21

Liked Posts:
We should change OC's every year, that's a real winning formula right there.

THIS. We don't need another coordinator change--we need to let Jay grow and develop in the current system. I could make the argument that the 2 things holding Jay back right now are the OL and the lack of consistency in offensive schemes. Each time a new OC is brought in, it's like learning a completely new language--which isn't that bad if your are a RB or WR--but the QB? he has to know EVERYTHING--what plays/routes work against which coverages, what all the blocking responsibilities are, etc. To expect a guy to have complete mastery of a different system year to year to year is unfair and illogical. Look at all the successful starting QBs in this league: Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Manning...all have been in 1 system their entire careers or have been in their current system for over 3. That leads to increased success and mastery of the offensive system.

Tice has most definitely left much to be desired from a play calling standpoint this season, for sure. But, he should grow in his role just the same as a player would. Plus, once Jay has a familiarity with the O, he can be trusted to call more plays at the LOS--in fact I wish they'd let him do that now--just run a hurry up/no-huddle to get some rhythm going--waiting for calls to come in from the SL seems to kill any sort of momentum we can ever build--well that and false starts/holding penalties from the OL.

Giving Jay his 5th system to learn in 6 seasons doesn't seem like a very competent plan, imo

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
THIS. We don't need another coordinator change--we need to let Jay grow and develop in the current system.

I don't disagree but here's the problem, what system?