OC rumors

Toast88

Liked Posts:
is Getsy the right guy?, when it comes to QB developement, think Jordan Love, not in skillset, but in developement over their time in the NFL, if we think playcalling and scheme alone will turn Fields into a Franchise QB, were fooling ourselves
I have no idea whether Luke Getsy will work out or not, but let’s get some things straight about his track record:

He never worked with quarterbacks until 2019, meaning he’s only ever worked with Aaron Rodgers (and the backups).

He’s a wide receivers coach by trade, at several spots dating back to West Virginia Wesleyan in ‘09 and later at Western Michigan, before becoming WR coach for the Packers, then leaving for one year to be WR coach at Mississippi State.

Point being, Luke Getsy doesn’t appear to be a QB coach because, dammit, he’s just so good at working with QBs. He appears to be the QB coach because, hey, the guy’s been here with our offense as WR coach for a few years, and how much of a QB coach does Aaron Rodgers really need?

Suddenly the Pep Hamilton stuff makes sense. HE would be your Fields developer, not Getsy.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have no idea whether Luke Getsy will work out or not, but let’s get some things straight about his track record:

He never worked with quarterbacks until 2019, meaning he’s only ever worked with Aaron Rodgers (and the backups).

He’s a wide receivers coach by trade, at several spots dating back to West Virginia Wesleyan in ‘09 and later at Western Michigan, before becoming WR coach for the Packers, then leaving for one year to be WR coach at Mississippi State.

Point being, Luke Getsy doesn’t appear to be a QB coach because, dammit, he’s just so good at working with QBs. He appears to be the QB coach because, hey, the guy’s been here with our offense as WR coach for a few years, and how much of a QB coach does Aaron Rodgers really need?

Suddenly the Pep Hamilton stuff makes sense. HE would be your Fields developer, not Getsy.
Its 7.42 my time today and this is the stupidest thing I have seen on the internet.

Good news for you I haven't reviewed Twitter yet so that title may change

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Might be why they offered the OC job to Getsy and QB coach to Pep. :)

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Sounds like Daboll sucking ass elsewhere then "maturing" by the time he got to the Bills. Guess only certain people are allowed to have matured.
Well, Daboll has been OC for the last 4 seasons for a monumentally improved QB in Allen, meanwhile Pep has bounced around having had a cup of coffee in college, the XFL, and 2 pro teams in that time. The guy has never stuck for more than 3 seasons anywhere since his first days of coaching at Howard in 1997. I don't know about Getsy, but I will be discouraged if Pep comes on as anything other than a lower assistant coach.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well, Daboll has been OC for the last 4 seasons for a monumentally improved QB in Allen, meanwhile Pep has bounced around having had a cup of coffee in college, the XFL, and 2 pro teams in that time. The guy has never stuck for more than 3 seasons anywhere since his first days of coaching at Howard in 1997. I don't know about Getsy, but I will be discouraged if Pep comes on as anything other than a lower assistant coach.

The point was he found success after his Bears run. There is no denying his QBs have still found success. How much you want to attribute that to him or their innate talent is entirely subjective and likely dependent on your bias. Same with Daboll.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The point was he found success after his Bears run. There is no denying his QBs have still found success. How much you want to attribute that to him or their innate talent is entirely subjective and likely dependent on your bias. Same with Daboll.
Dabolls appeal came from the fact that Allen went from a raw talent with raw talent numbers as a rookie to arguably the best and if not a minimum the second best young QB in the NFL. Who was the cart and who was the horse can never be known, but it happened all the same.

Pep Hamilton has done nothing more than be in the orbit of, in both college and pros, of the most polished QB prospect in this millennium, be QB coach for Herbert for a hot minute, who hasn't skipped a beat in the absence of Hamilton I might add, and preside over David Mills not sucking complete ass.

He has never been associated with the steep development of a QB, I mean when you aren't around usually for even a full calendar year, I guess you can't expect him to be regarded as the source of a QB's development. I would also say that if he had such skills it is curios that no team ever seems to make an effort to keep him around.

Canth

Liked Posts:

And having done more reading on the changed rules of the NFL offseason, my understanding is that a lot of the fundamental improvements made by any NFL QB likely have more to do with the specific QB and his personal QB coach he works with in the offseason. Ie, Jordan Palmer likely should be getting as much praise for Josh Allen as any Buffalo Bills coach when you talk about his development. Now, Ken Dorsey and Brian DaBoll certainly are in the discussion too and I have no doubt told Allen what to prioritize working on and then making the offense take advantage of his strengths.

However, from what I understand, a lot of the real fundamentals work is really on the QB to figure out himself with his personal coach in the offseason due to the limitations put into the CBA in 2011 for offseason coach/player contact.

So, I will very interested to see who Fields will be working with ahead of OTAs, mini-camp, and training camp - because it likely will not be/cannot be a Bears coach due to the NFL rules.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I get where some people's heads will go, but a lot of us remember when pep Hamilton was with the Bears under Ron Turner. At the time he was pretty horrible and every position group he oversaw sucked ass and never got better.

There's plenty of older Bears fans who still remember that and harbor that against pep Hamilton.
I remember him and it was bad.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
nah not really, but many times plays broke down on the packers and rodgers had to do magical shit. Apparently, GB had situational play calling that was shared between a few other offensive coaches on the Packers.
Getsy was in charge of 3rd down and situational play calling.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dabolls appeal came from the fact that Allen went from a raw talent with raw talent numbers as a rookie to arguably the best and if not a minimum the second best young QB in the NFL. Who was the cart and who was the horse can never be known, but it happened all the same.

Pep Hamilton has done nothing more than be in the orbit of, in both college and pros, of the most polished QB prospect in this millennium, be QB coach for Herbert for a hot minute, who hasn't skipped a beat in the absence of Hamilton I might add, and preside over David Mills not sucking complete ass.

He has never been associated with the steep development of a QB, I mean when you aren't around usually for even a full calendar year, I guess you can't expect him to be regarded as the source of a QB's development. I would also say that if he had such skills it is curios that no team ever seems to make an effort to keep him around.

Pep helped develop Luck from his college days. Herbert was the 3rd QB taken and no one imagined him playing as well as he did as a rookie. Mills was in a shitty O much like Fields but pretty much finished with the 2nd best rookie QB numbers next to Jones. Who was the cart and who was the horse can never be known, but it happened all the same.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
My feelings on Pep Hamilton are not based on his time with the Bears previously, which I don't remember.

My concerns about him are the fact he has bounced around like a ping pong ball. He doesn't stay many places more than a year, and it is not due to moving up.

People on here were quick to say fans in Indy weren't in love with Eberfluss (as if there's some giant consensus on any coach), but ask them what they think of Pep. It's no lovefest.

Maybe he had a positive impact on Andrew Luck, but Luck was considered a generational QB talent coming into the NFL, so giving credit to the coach who happened to be in the room is a bit much.

Maybe some if his movement is due to HC changes, but even if so, assistants in demand don't latch on with head coaches on the hot seat. The coaches who have options go where there is some stability.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Maybe he had a positive impact on Andrew Luck, but Luck was considered a generational QB talent coming into the NFL, so giving credit to the coach who happened to be in the room is a bit much.

Pep also coached Luck in college. He was not a generational talent out of high. Highly recruited to be sure but not by the Bama's of the world. He was a top 5 HS QB recruit and top 50 but certainly not generational.

He must be the luckiest guy in the world to just bounce around and end up running into guys that have success with him.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Pep also coached Luck in college. He was not a generational talent out of high. Highly recruited to be sure but not by the Bama's of the world. He was a top 5 HS QB recruit and top 50 but certainly not generational.

He must be the luckiest guy in the world to just bounce around and end up running into guys that have success with him.
He is also the son of an NFL QB. He was not some piece of clay that was molded by any one coach.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He is also the son of an NFL QB. He was not some piece of clay that was molded by any one coach.

Neither was Allen or anyone else. Also good thing unlike Daboll he has other successful QBs he can point to helping.

To pretend we know how much is nurture vs nature on any of these guys is just BS. People will just speculate in accordance with their bias and preferences.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Neither was Allen or anyone else. Also good thing unlike Daboll he has other successful QBs he can point to helping.

To pretend we know how much is nurture vs nature on any of these guys is just BS. People will just speculate in accordance with their bias ans preferences.
I don't pretend I know how much. But I think it is fair to wonder if Pep is to credit for the success of all these coaches, why don't teams keep him around?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I have the feeling the longer it takes for an official announcement, the more divided the reaction among fanbases.

I wonder if there is a relativity equation to be discovered here.

Also, if anyone disagreees with @remydat, you are racist hahaha.

I really like Pep for Fields though, but I want to go on record as not giving a shit about remy's hyper-skin-color-awareness of candidates and CCS reactions thereof; and that does not in any way factor in my happiness if Pep joins this staff.