Offense Wins Superbowls

PeppersSweater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For those that missed it, FOX showed the Bear's offense rankings under Lovie Smith. Not sure if these numbers match exactly (regular season stats taken from NFL.com) but they're close:

2004 #32
2005 #29
2006 #15
2007 #27
2008 #26
2009 #23
2010 #30
2011 #24
2012 #28

Those that won the superbowl (offensive ranking)

Patriots #7
Steelers #15
Colts #3
Giants #16
Steelers #22
Saints #1
Packers #9
Giants #8
?

I'm not saying that it's impossible to win a superbowl solely relying on defense, teams certainly did it in previous years, but in this "pass-driven" era, you need to at least have an average offense (tied to a very good defense) in order to win.

BearsMod1

Liked Posts:
preach these dumb bears fan.

and this is the era of throwing first

Punished

Liked Posts:
How about the 11 years before Lovie? Same results, 2 different coaches in Dick n' Dave(which is a GREAT movie title).....nice try though!

This isn't just a Lovie thing, it's people above him as well. And the people above him were doing this long before he got here.

PeppersSweater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How about the 11 years before Lovie? Same results, 2 different coaches in Dick n' Dave(which is a GREAT movie title).....nice try though!

This isn't just a Lovie thing, it's people above him as well. And the people above him were doing this long before he got here.

I agree. The unfortunate thing is that we have the players to be at least average on offense. We need to overhaul the line and adjust the playcalling, but we have the playmakers needed to succeed imo.

Punished

Liked Posts:

I agree. The unfortunate thing is that we have the players to be at least average on offense. We need to overhaul the line and adjust the playcalling, but we have the playmakers needed to succeed imo.

But that's the thing lol if you overhaul the O-line and get that Te that can actually be an effective pass catcher then you have something that this coaching staff isn't working with now.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
For what it is worth the last successful coach here was really ditka and he was an offensive guy. I said it 2 years ago that I would hire Shannahan because he has a proven track record building offense not to mention experience with Cutler. Imagine for a moment that he is here now with Marshall and Cutler. You think the offense would be different?

Regardless, if they hire a defensive guy to replace lovie I can't see myself supporting it. There is one clear weak link. Fix it.