Offensive Fixes: Increasing the Tempo

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Quick thought here. Don't know if it deserves its own thread so feel free to merge it with another thread.

Any who, how about picking up the tempo on offense? I know Jay usually gets 2 plays and he either rolls with the one called or kills it to the 2nd play. This takes a lot of time because Jay has to read the defense and all that.

I'd like to see a little hurry up though. It seemed to work well for the Packers against us last week and it's always been known to get an offense into some rhythm.

I also remember Trestman saying they wanted to run at least 100 more plays this year compared to last year.

I know hurry up isn't going to suddenly fix our offensive woes, but maybe it can get us some rhythm if we start to struggle or maybe we come out with it right off the bat.

Our offensive weapons against base defenses on their heals? I like that matchup.

chitownbears88

CSS Resident Curtis Enis
Liked Posts:
Do you think picking up the tempo will stop the mental mistakes? The offense is moving the ball well, they are stalling on drives because of stupid mistakes like penalties.

Joker85

Liked Posts:
Bigger concern is consistently wasted 1st and 2nd downs.

We are in 3rd and 6+ way too often.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Do you think picking up the tempo will stop the mental mistakes? The offense is moving the ball well, they are stalling on drives because of stupid mistakes like penalties.
Possibly. It creates less time for thinking and can help a team get into rhythm.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Carolina went no huddle and it worked. New England went no huddle against a very good Cinci D last night and it destroyed them. It's not ideal in every situation, but it works.

It's simple - mistakes kill teams. Jay's mistakes. Forte's unfortunate fumble. Martellus deciding he didn't field like blocking.

What's also killing his team is the obligatory 3rd and long. On EVERY drive, first down is Forte up the middle for no gain or one yard. I also noticed a number of Forte runs for negative yardage. Yes, Forte only got 17 carries yesterday, but when you go 2nd and 9, 3rd and 8, you are forced to abandon the run.

A bigger story out of yesterday was Marshall's inability to separate. I know he's been hobbled, but #15 his 6 catches in his last 3 games.

I also say Jay making some early check downs. One critical drive deep in Bears territory. 3rd and 8. He had Alshon open for a 14 yard gain and move the chains. Checked down too early to Forte for a 5 yard gain/punt. I love Forte's versatility, but if he's the leading receiver, something is not working. Take out the long 56 harder that should have been a TD if Marty decided to block. That's 11 catches for 49 yards. Average of 4.4YPC. That's a lot of check downs. Check down to Matt - Kuechly tackle for 4 yard gain.

That's a problem.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
The O Line is getting overlooked. Forte is averaging 3.9 ypc and has zero rushing TDs. Cutler has been sacked 12 times and is on pace for 40.

Yes, injuries, but their inconsistent performance is a big deal.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
Bottom line, you can't play scared. No huddle is a great way to build rhythm. Even a turnover should not be a tragedy. I think play calling has gotten conservative in the second half. How much is Bushrod is affecting this, I don't know. But I don't want Cutler playing scared.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
The inability to run the ball between the tackles is killing us. While other teams get two possession leads and have a modicum of a run game to fall back on, we are throwing 40 screen passes and running weak traps/sweeps/tosses that are getting us nowhere. We need Garza back, and Kyle Long to actually BE TOUGH instead of acting tough.

People place a lot of blame on Jay...and they are right....but you tell me what QB can throw the ball 40-50 times a game EVERY week and his team win consistently. There's a list of failures a lot long than the list of successes, I'll say that much.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
The inability to run the ball between the tackles is killing us. While other teams get two possession leads and have a modicum of a run game to fall back on, we are throwing 40 screen passes and running weak traps/sweeps/tosses that are getting us nowhere. We need Garza back, and Kyle Long to actually BE TOUGH instead of acting tough.

People place a lot of blame on Jay...and they are right....but you tell me what QB can throw the ball 40-50 times a game EVERY week and his team win consistently. There's a list of failures a lot long than the list of successes, I'll say that much.

One only need to look at Dallas. They are 4-1. Romo's stats are anything but fantastic - 9 TD, 5 picks. Their defense is playing good ball - ranked 8th in scoring.

The key is that they have the leading rusher in the NFL and they are rushing for 160ypg. Criticize GM Jerry Jones all you want but he quietly built one of the best young offensive lines in football.

Dallas turned things around in the offseason. The Bears didn't.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Pretty much every QB in the NFL these days.

Not really true though. If you look at the guys with the most attempts, its usually teams playing catch up - Brees, Bryan. The only one that throws that number off is Foles - but then again, they run like 20 more plays than the average team and their run game has been epic shit this season.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bears aren't really playing catchup. They basically ran the ball the entire 2nd half of the Packers game. Had a big lead against Carolina. Had a lead against the Jets. Had a lead against Buffalo. The only time they had to play catchup was against SF, and that was Cutler's best performance as a Bear.

I think teams in the NFL can win by consistently passing. They just can't consistently pass with a turnover prone QB.

Then they need to give the ball to Forte, problem with that is that rarely works out.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
From what I've seen this year, we need to change things up throughout the game. It seems like every play, they get the play and up to the LOS quick enough. But calling out protections and audibles takes the play clock down to 3-4 seconds. I think as we move the ball, defenses get settled in and they know when the ball is going to get snapped. I think throwing in some no huddle after a big play and working with the cadence and snap count could help.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
The O Line is getting overlooked. Forte is averaging 3.9 ypc and has zero rushing TDs. Cutler has been sacked 12 times and is on pace for 40.

Yes, injuries, but their inconsistent performance is a big deal.

The offensive line has been great, especially considering the injuries.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Quick thought here. Don't know if it deserves its own thread so feel free to merge it with another thread.

Any who, how about picking up the tempo on offense? I know Jay usually gets 2 plays and he either rolls with the one called or kills it to the 2nd play. This takes a lot of time because Jay has to read the defense and all that.

I'd like to see a little hurry up though. It seemed to work well for the Packers against us last week and it's always been known to get an offense into some rhythm.

I also remember Trestman saying they wanted to run at least 100 more plays this year compared to last year.

I know hurry up isn't going to suddenly fix our offensive woes, but maybe it can get us some rhythm if we start to struggle or maybe we come out with it right off the bat.

Our offensive weapons against base defenses on their heals? I like that matchup.

Absolutely... I was thinking the same exact thing...

You can also empty your backfield with Matt forte and catch teams off guard without their nickel package...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
The offensive line has been great, especially considering the injuries.

12 sacks through 5 games and 3.9 YPC is not great.

The Dallas offensive line has been great (160 rushing YPG). 12 sacks and 3.9 YPC is not great.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
From what I've seen this year, we need to change things up throughout the game. It seems like every play, they get the play and up to the LOS quick enough. But calling out protections and audibles takes the play clock down to 3-4 seconds. I think as we move the ball, defenses get settled in and they know when the ball is going to get snapped. I think throwing in some no huddle after a big play and working with the cadence and snap count could help.
That was my thinking. Just use it as a shot in the arm if need be or to keep defenses off balance. Like when Brady does that hurry up QB sneak or run play on short yardage situations.

I think too often we let the defense dictate what we do offensively, which is all well and good because we need to be able to adapt or adjust to different schemes/looks. However, I'd like to see more of our offense dictating what the defense does and a way to do that is to pick up the tempo.

We look a little disjointed offensively right now and some of that may be too much going on. Simplify the scheme and the plan of attack. Speed up the tempo and force mismatches, especially when we have a team on the ropes.

It's also going to be nice to get Wilson back in a few weeks. Whoever said we don't have anyone to take the top off a defense is right. I think teams are going to continue to go into their shell coverages until we prove we can get someone over the top. I'd also like to see Jay get out of the pocket more as well. He's at his best when he's moving around and I think cramping him in the pocket is handcuffing his abilities.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carolina went no huddle and it worked. New England went no huddle against a very good Cinci D last night and it destroyed them. It's not ideal in every situation, but it works.

It's simple - mistakes kill teams. Jay's mistakes. Forte's unfortunate fumble. Martellus deciding he didn't field like blocking.

What's also killing his team is the obligatory 3rd and long. On EVERY drive, first down is Forte up the middle for no gain or one yard. I also noticed a number of Forte runs for negative yardage. Yes, Forte only got 17 carries yesterday, but when you go 2nd and 9, 3rd and 8, you are forced to abandon the run.

A bigger story out of yesterday was Marshall's inability to separate. I know he's been hobbled, but #15 his 6 catches in his last 3 games.

I also say Jay making some early check downs. One critical drive deep in Bears territory. 3rd and 8. He had Alshon open for a 14 yard gain and move the chains. Checked down too early to Forte for a 5 yard gain/punt. I love Forte's versatility, but if he's the leading receiver, something is not working. Take out the long 56 harder that should have been a TD if Marty decided to block. That's 11 catches for 49 yards. Average of 4.4YPC. That's a lot of check downs. Check down to Matt - Kuechly tackle for 4 yard gain.

That's a problem.

You would be hard pressed to find a woman anywhere who thinks a 56 long harder is a problem! :rimshot: