Offensive line

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Been busy this offseason and also a low care level so I haven’t paid much attention to moves and the draft. Is below really the projected OL? Any surprises anyone expects coming out of camp?

LT - Jenkins
LG - white hair
C - Mustipher?
RG - Dozier?
RT - Borom

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Patrick should be the starter at Center and Guard, at least RG is for anyone. You draft 4 guys who can play RG IMO anyone can take it. Borom, might be the starter at Tackle right now but he is not a scheme fit. I'd honestly switch Jenkins and Borom around because of the type of blockers they are.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Borom
Whitehair
Patrick
Dozier
Back Guy

Think Mustipher eventually gets cut and they try to keep/stash as many of the 4 rookies as they can with Thomas having a real shot at starting at LG over the crap we have now (Dozier is a better swing guy/backup)

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Zack Thomas highlight. Seems to have decent speed but will probably get mauled. Kinda weak.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Zack Thomas highlight. Seems to have decent speed but will probably get mauled. Kinda weak.

Idk where you get weak from. He didn't give an inch in any one of these plays, got good leverage on almost every one and had a few pancakes.

These are highlights so they are not going to give us the full picture. Based on the little tape I could find and what different analysts had to say I think he's the most NFL ready of our rookie OL and has the best chance to start this year and take the RG spot. Carter probably has more upside at guard but probably needs more time. Braxton has a lot to like but LT is harder position to fill and Borom had some good games last year and has some seasoning now.

Between Dozier, Mustipher and Thomas starting this year my money is on Thomas.

Last edited:

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Borom
Whitehair
Patrick
Dozier
Back Guy

Think Mustipher eventually gets cut and they try to keep/stash as many of the 4 rookies as they can with Thomas having a real shot at starting at LG over the crap we have now (Dozier is a better swing guy/backup)

If Dozier is the starting RG, start measuring Fields for a casket.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I don't know about weak but he will also need to get stronger like most coming in. He's not what you'd consider strong at this point either but he plays with good leverage in small spaces. More that he has trouble keeping that leverage on that island. Should translate well inside but may take him a year to start moving people instead of just holding his own.

I suspect they see Jones as their future at LT and are playing Teven at right because he's a freight train. Maybe Borom prefers LT and Teven RT and they'll start them out there. Who knows but they'll both need to show they've benefitted from an off season. You would think it will be very noticeable considering their histories of injury and body change. Let's hope. All that said, Braxton should take a year unless he's a really fast learner. The change in level of competition could be a real shock to him. Easier for a G like Thomas.

Last edited:

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
When Whitehair seems to be the only player that is assumed to be the starter without question....man this could be a long season

LT- Jenkins or Borom or a Rookie, not exactly the way you want to start the season
LG- Whitehair
Center - Patrick he should be an upgrade over Mustipher
RG - Dozer or a rookie
RT - Jenkins or Borom or a rookie

And what depth do we have?

I realize this is a rebuild, but late round rookies, and counting on Borom and Jenkins to start is a formula for failure

I'm actually still hoping a vet LT will get cut from another team that we can pickup.....

BearsFanInTX

Liked Posts:
Hoping still:
LT FA Duane Brown or Eric Fisher
LG Whitehair
C Patrick
RG Borom or Dozier
RT Jenkins

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
Why is Larry Borom penciled in to start? Braxton Jones was drafted in the 5th too and is quicker than Borom. Isn't that what Poles is looking for?

I agree. It's a wild guess but I think the Oline shakes out like this:

LT Braxton Jones
LG Larry Borom
C Lucas Patrick
RG Whitehair
RT Jenkins

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When Whitehair seems to be the only player that is assumed to be the starter without question....man this could be a long season

LT- Jenkins or Borom or a Rookie, not exactly the way you want to start the season
LG- Whitehair
Center - Patrick he should be an upgrade over Mustipher
RG - Dozer or a rookie
RT - Jenkins or Borom or a rookie

And what depth do we have?

I realize this is a rebuild, but late round rookies, and counting on Borom and Jenkins to start is a formula for failure

I'm actually still hoping a vet LT will get cut from another team that we can pickup.....
Jenkins, Patrick and Whitehair are assured starters. Borom is very likely but Jones has a shot. Either will likely get edge help on important downs. RG is up in the air. I suspect it will be Thomas, Mustipher, or a late addition unless Jones makes LT. Then Borom has a real shot there.

Starting 2 rookies because they earned it is too much to wish for but
Jones-Whitehair-Patrick-Borom-Jenkins or Borom-Whitehair-Patrick-Thomas-Jenkins may be viable.

2 starting 2nd year players in 2023 means we could lose Whitehair's contract next year but odds are less than 50/50 that both of this year's late round rookies become full time starters. We'll have wait and to see how good Poles and the coaching is.

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
i like the idea of settling in with the starting unit as early as possible in the offseason so they can acclimate and gel with each other all through OTAs, TC, and preseason. seems like as far as i can remember, bears have constantly moved pieces around or signed eventual starters late, leading to disjointed and sometimes disastrous results once the season started.

it's gonna take a while to evaluate with so many candidates and no one set in stone except for maybe whitehair & patrick, but hopefully it solidifies sooner rather than later.

my guess is as good as anyone else's but i'm gonna go with:

braxton jones
cody whitehair
lucas patrick
zach thomas
teven jenkins

larry borom as the swing tackle

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If Dozier is the starting RG, start measuring Fields for a casket.
That's pretty much what I've gathered about Dozier as well. Hopefully one of these Rookies can step in

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jones - Carter - Patrick - Borom - Jenkins

I can see Whitehair being cut in 14 days. Aside from Lucas Patrick, roll out the young guys.

As much as this plan would scare me, I cannot argue against being rid of every single 2021 Week One starter. They were trash and deserve to be tossed out as such.

Get it done, Getsy!