**OFFICAIL** Bears Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I see Washington as the type who can threaten the middle of the field at 5, 10, and 15 yards very easily.

He runs really well for a man that size, and is a plus blocker coming out of college. He doesn't have to move like Kelce, he has to have the athleticism to use his incredible size to his advantage, and he does that.

If I had to place my money on it, Kmet and Washington could combine for 120 catches and 1400 yards with Washington's floor. That sounds like a really productive pair, and Washington then has room to grow. I think this offense will have plenty of space to have two TEs on the field in a variety of alignments, because Fields's dynamic talent makes play action and RPO a nightmare to defend.

We're free to disagree, I just wanted to lay my case out as an Amateur Assistant-GM/Professional Bears Fan
He can definitely move. That's not the issue I have with him. But with most TEs, they aren't going to just line up and beat the guy in man coverage. The way LBs move now and then safeties, I don't think there are many TEs that have that twitch to separate at the top of their routes. We see it with Kmet. When he is open, he is schemed open. Misdirection, playaction, rollouts, chip block before releasing, screens. But he's not going to beat man coverage. You're not going to line him up in the Y or the slot and him separate from his defender. It's not a knock on Washington or Kmet really, it's just that 260 and 270lb men can't do that well in general. Kelce, Kittle, Waller, Engram are 240-250ish and while Washington may be able to run in a straight line with any of them, I don't see the quickness in and out of breaks with him to make him a weapon like they are in the straight drop back passing game.

120 catches from TEs is about 180 targets at the position. That's a lot for the Shanahan offensive scheme. Also a lot for a team that doesn't have an elite level TE. Like Washington and Kmet at 5-10-15 yards at a time, as you said, isn't enough of a big chunk to warrant that many targets. Obviously, there's still plenty of targets there to take your deep shots, but you're also not getting a bunch of YAC on those throws either, like you would with a WR outside or a RB out of the backfield, and that takes away from those targets. Again, not that Washington isn't great after the catch, but he's also likely to be making those catches in the middle of the field where the bulk of the defense is there to tackle him, as opposed to WRs/RBs on the outside facing 1-3 defenders with the capability of getting outside the numbers to make a tackle.

I like Washington a lot. I would be happy if they drafted him. But 2nd round is too rich for my blood. Even that late Ravens 2 is too high. I probably wouldn't feel comfortable taking any non elite level TE in the top 75. It's why the Kmet pick was always "meh" to me. Good player, but just doesn't have the value to match where he was picked. Washington would be in the same boat, IMO.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
He can definitely move. That's not the issue I have with him. But with most TEs, they aren't going to just line up and beat the guy in man coverage. The way LBs move now and then safeties, I don't think there are many TEs that have that twitch to separate at the top of their routes. We see it with Kmet. When he is open, he is schemed open. Misdirection, playaction, rollouts, chip block before releasing, screens. But he's not going to beat man coverage. You're not going to line him up in the Y or the slot and him separate from his defender. It's not a knock on Washington or Kmet really, it's just that 260 and 270lb men can't do that well in general. Kelce, Kittle, Waller, Engram are 240-250ish and while Washington may be able to run in a straight line with any of them, I don't see the quickness in and out of breaks with him to make him a weapon like they are in the straight drop back passing game.

120 catches from TEs is about 180 targets at the position. That's a lot for the Shanahan offensive scheme. Also a lot for a team that doesn't have an elite level TE. Like Washington and Kmet at 5-10-15 yards at a time, as you said, isn't enough of a big chunk to warrant that many targets. Obviously, there's still plenty of targets there to take your deep shots, but you're also not getting a bunch of YAC on those throws either, like you would with a WR outside or a RB out of the backfield, and that takes away from those targets. Again, not that Washington isn't great after the catch, but he's also likely to be making those catches in the middle of the field where the bulk of the defense is there to tackle him, as opposed to WRs/RBs on the outside facing 1-3 defenders with the capability of getting outside the numbers to make a tackle.

I like Washington a lot. I would be happy if they drafted him. But 2nd round is too rich for my blood. Even that late Ravens 2 is too high. I probably wouldn't feel comfortable taking any non elite level TE in the top 75. It's why the Kmet pick was always "meh" to me. Good player, but just doesn't have the value to match where he was picked. Washington would be in the same boat, IMO.
Fair points, each. I do think it worth the Ravens second rounder to take him but I can't exactly dispute your perspective.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sapp is an idiot that beats up hookers.
vp7V09.gif

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:

I think Washington will easily go in the first 2 rounds.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
I think the Bears used Claypool really poorly last year. The Jets game, without Fields they used him correctly. Got man coverage on the outside and threw a jump ball to him. But I also think he's really deadly on deep in routes. Think of AJ Brown. Brown was used on deep ins ad nauseum in Tennesee and he was unstoppable. I think Claypool can be the same way. He has the threat of getting down the field like Brown does. And he's big and strong and will be tough for CBs to handle on in-breaking routes in the middle of the field. I want to see the Bears at least try to emulate the Eagles offense. I know they aren't as talented across the board, but I think they could have success with Claypool in the Brown role with Mooney in the Devonta Smith role. Kmet would be Goedert. And obviously, Fields has similarities to Hurts in his ability to throw and run the ball. Toughest part will be replicating that Eagles OL, but they have a ton of resources to throw at the position.
Completely agree. Let's not forget...

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It's a good year both in the draft and FA for TE. Conversely, its a bad for both at WR.
I don't see the draft as bad at WR, can't see any true #1 WR's before seeing what they do before they get to the NFL but there's some really good WR's in this draft, especially for the slot.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Irsay gets his pick as the HC and effectively decides who to take at QB, how embarrassed will Ballard be? If I were him, I would just quit right now to save face. Irsay is fast approaching the Snyder/Davis territory as an ineffective, bumbling and meddling owner that makes awful decisions. It’s only a matter of time before some report comes out about him being misogynistic or racist. As bad as the Bears have been, at least ownership has never gone down that road.

To be fair he is meddling now because Reich and Ballard left to their own devices have fucked up the QB position.

Dumpster Fire

Liked Posts:
Claypool is an asset moving forward. I think the full offseason with the team and more time with Fields will pay off. I understand why people were down on the trade by the end of the year especially with where the draft pick ended up, but I am confident that Claypool can have a way better year next year.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Claypool is an asset moving forward. I think the full offseason with the team and more time with Fields will pay off. I understand why people were down on the trade by the end of the year especially with where the draft pick ended up, but I am confident that Claypool can have a way better year next year.
A "way better" year for Chase Claypool could still be pretty mediocre.

The problem with the trade is that with thirty-second overall you could've addressed the wide receiver position for the off-season. Instead they gave that pick away for a veteran wide receiver who leaves the Bears no better off at the wide receiver position than before the trade. It accomplished absolutely nothing, and even if Chase Claypool is "way, way, way, better" then great...the Bears either have to pay him or let him walk.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
A "way better" year for Chase Claypool could still be pretty mediocre.

The problem with the trade is that with thirty-second overall you could've addressed the wide receiver position for the off-season. Instead they gave that pick away for a veteran wide receiver who leaves the Bears no better off at the wide receiver position than before the trade. It accomplished absolutely nothing, and even if Chase Claypool is "way, way, way, better" then great...the Bears either have to pay him or let him walk.
None of this is going to matter to you in a year or two when the Baers move to Arlington Heights, so why be so upset about it now?