dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm completely okay with trading Mack. I would have been okay with it a year ago.

The return doesn't exactly tickle my pickle, but I don't hate it either.
Yeah i agree. Don't mind trading Mack and understand it's huge for us that they're taking on all the rest of his money but still think they could of got more. 2nd and a 4th would of been nice. Mack is still dominant and will show that next year now that he had his surgery and will be, or should be back to 100%. Still good with that trade.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
It's a shocking reality check, TBH. I really felt this team could make a good run in 2022 with some restructuring and trading Quinn.

Now, a second this year... if the Bears can get a Miller-esque return for Quinn, I see some hope. Kyler Gordon, Daniel Faalele, and David Bell in the second, with LB Christian Harris (Alabama) and Jeremy Ruckert in the third would be a bunch of good players to build the team around.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Sad to see that the Bears never got even a playoff win after making the all in move for Mack. However, as others have said, I think this is overall the right move for the future. They are not a Superbowl contending team this year and they gain a ton of flexibility in the roster now for next year.

This is a good draft to get an extra 2nd rounder as well where there appears to be not as big of a drop off from 1st to 2nd round.

I would now be fairly shocked to not see them spend a 2nd round pick on a WR. I figure the other 2nd rounder now goes to a lineman.

The other crazy aspect is that it may still make sense to try and pull off the reverse draft pick trade of Jenkins last year (ie trade the 39th overall pick for a later 2nd round pick and a 3rd). If Poles does that, suddenly he has 4 Day 2 picks to work with in building some youth in the roster and where you can find talent that you can develop into starters at WR, CB, OL, and DL.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
@Visionman you seem to think I am wrong somehow
I'm not sure what the post you just quoted actually means, but what do you think is the difference between a cut before and after June 1?

mbison

Liked Posts:
Expect a lot more cuts after June 1st. Polls is in a position to free up alot of cap space

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Lol

It’s only $6 million this season then he’s off the books. You can sign guys this free agency and structure their deals in a way that they’re getting the bulk of their money in the future.
Exactly. Now we can sign a top free agent or two and structure the deal where more of the money will be on that players 2nd or 3rd year of his deal then the 1st year. Still not sure we will be if we wanted to we could.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure what the post you just quoted actually means, but what do you think is the difference between a cut before and after June 1?
You take less of a hit on cap space if it is a post June 1 designated cut. You can designated 2 cuts that physically take place before June 1 as post June 1 cuts....any cut that takes place after June 1 is automatically a post June 1 designated cut
only the current year prorated salary bonus counts against the cut

MidwestMonster2

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Big mistake to trade Mack. He affected offenses on damn near every play he was in for. Regardless of his "stats" he was still playing at a high level while hurt. He had more damn hustle than anyone else on the team and he will be sorely missed. Also...only a 2nd this year? FFS get a 2nd and a 4th this year for a 6x all pro bad ass MF'r . BAD deal IMO.

msadows

Liked Posts:
wow, didn't see this happening.

Guess we are officially in rebuild mode.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
You take less of a hit on cap space if it is a post June 1 designated cut. You can designated 2 cuts that physically take place before June 1 as post June 1 cuts....any cut that takes place after June 1 is automatically a post June 1 designated cut
But then you have to pay the rest of that cap the following year. Whatever you save in the current year goes into the following year.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Mack hasn’t had much impact the past 2 seasons. He’s been injured or invisible most of the time…
Last year I felt he was destructive. Just that his stats didn't always reflect it. The whole D-Line took a step back. I blame it on Pagano. I mean one year Quinn has 2 sa KS, the next year he sets the organization record.

Last season he was injured and was probably playing through some injury when he was on the field.

Either way, regardless of the coach or health situation, he likely isn't returning to his former self with him being on the wrong side of 30

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Poles wants young, hungry players with certain traits. He's going to find them. I like what he's done so far. That extra second alone could be ammo to go up and get Olave or maybe draft TWO stud WRs.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Just saw the compensation and wow lmfao.

2nd and a 6th?

Terrible, but I guess all those nutjobs pining for olave can finally have hopes we can land him.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Bill Belichick "Mack is just a guy . . ."

I remember this press conference leading up the Patriots vs Bears. Figured Mack would be motivated yet he completely disappeared.

GREAT TRADE!
BB 100% correct

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
But then you have to pay the rest of that cap the following year. Whatever you save in the current year goes into the following year.
yes you still take the cap hit next year. which is what I said.....if you trade or cut pre June 1...which is happening now you accelerate it against the cap....hence the 12m....If they had cut Mack this year with a post June 1 designation they would have 12m extra for this year against the cap. Thats what I said.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Last year I felt he was destructive. Just that his stats didn't always reflect it. The whole D-Line took a step back. I blame it on Pagano. I mean one year Quinn has 2 sa KS, the next year he sets the organization record.

Last season he was injured and was probably playing through some injury when he was on the field.

Either way, regardless of the coach or health situation, he likely isn't returning to his former self with him being on the wrong side of 30

Quinn was clearly injured in 2020.

He had no where near the same speed and bend that year as he did in 2021. It was pretty clear early in the season that was the main issue in 2020. That had nothing to do with good ol chuck. Just plain ol bad luck, I guess.

He would have been the guy I traded, but I'm assuming his asking price isn't that high either and he was actually productive last year.