Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Surely you jest. This team is an aging shitshow and Pace left us damn near zero resources to make it better. No, we were not sniffing a SB within the next 2 years — so why hold on to an aging pass rusher?? Get the what you can and GTF out!
I doubt we're even close to being a playoff team in the next two years, but i take that as if you believe we could possibly be super bowl bound after said two years.

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
I doubt we're even close to being a playoff team in the next two years, but i take that as if you believe we could possibly be super bowl bound after said two years.
No, we are pretty much on the same page with that one. But I will say, I am not ruling it out. Let’s give Poles a chance and let’s see what he can do. Teams can catch lighting in a bottle with smart moves — just look at the Bengals — so you never know.

And just to clarify, I never said we would be going to the SB in 2 years… just said, “anywhere close” to a SB… meaning, “competitive and a real threat to make the playoffs and possibility do a little damage”. Chalk it up to the optimist in me but, without seeing what happens this off-season, and without seeing what Fields can do with proper coaching and solid protection, I think it is too early to rule out the possibility that the Bears can make some noise within the next 2 years.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
No, we are pretty much on the same page with that one. But I will say, I am not ruling it out. Let’s give Poles a chance and let’s see what he can do. Teams can catch lighting in a bottle with smart moves — just look at the Bengals — so you never know.

And just to clarify, I never said we would be going to the SB in 2 years… just said, “anywhere close” to a SB… meaning, “competitive and a real threat to make the playoffs and possibility do a little damage”. Chalk it up to the optimist in me but, without seeing what happens this off-season, and without seeing what Fields can do with proper coaching and solid protection, I think it is too early to rule out the possibility that the Bears can make some noise within the next 2 years.
Burrows picked #1 overall in 2020
Chase picked 5th overall in 2021...
I doubt bears will go full on Tank mode to get lucky as the bengals did, this team will be desperate to win some games each season while poles and ebutt is here trying really hard to keep their jobs.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
And Miller was out the entire season before he was traded. What's your point? Mack has been much healthier than Miller and is not coming off an ACL injury.
He was healthy when he was traded. Mack hasn't been much healthier at all. Aside from his missed season Miller has missed two games in the last eight years.
You can like the Mack trade but it wasn’t for massive cap space. They had a choice.

1. $6million cap, play Mack, hope he stays healthy, would have a very cap friendly deal (no guarantees) to trade next offseason, restructure, or cut.

2. Save $6million this year, gain 2nd/6th. Owners do save $24 million here, but it’s dead on the cap.

Either scenario they could have saved the same cap space next year. If I’m wrong let me know.

But the way I see it if he stayed and played well they could have received a better return next offseason. Flip side if he got hurt again he probably would just get cut with no compensation.
Neither is exactly accurate. In the first scenario, if the Bears kept him this year there would have been a substantial cap charge to cut him or trade him in 2023, because his prorated bonuses would not have been paid for those years (and the Bears would have paid his $17.75m salary in 22).

2. Owners don't save $24m, that money has already been paid in bonus up front.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
One must look through the trees to see the forest. 6 mil added to cap space this year doesn't seem like much but you're trying to free up money for the next 2 years as well which this does very much. Chargers take on entirety of the rest of his contract with 28 mil and 26 mil cap hits respectively the following 2 years. It was a shit contract. You get less return on shit contracts and that's to be expected.
No the Chargers take $17 and $22m the next two years. The rest is part of the $24m the Bears eat.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We hopefully get 2 starters this year by losing an elite one so the trade is far from exciting. A necessary evil for a team trying to establish a roster without obvious holes by 2023. 2 starters due to likely getting one from the pick and enough cap savings for another in FA but neither will contribute as much as a (healthy) Mack probably could this year.

This is about next year and not continuing to kick the cap can down the road as Pace did. Pace has made that road an uphill grind and Poles is simply attempting to get back to level. I've had arguments here about how poorly Pace has handled contracts and been told they all restructure deals etc. They do but Pace's handling of this was with way to much projection and lack of foresight as to what he was actually paying for. Overpay and then financially handcuff yourself in moves unless you bump those overpays to the future, creating even more secure handcuffs.

The fact that we aren't going to win a SB in the next 2 years with these contract constraints expedited this move. If Poles gets most of his moves right, we'll actually be a better team by the end of 2023 without Mack than we could have been with him. We'll have a better chance to be a contender by that time in the current scenario than the previous one. The situation absolutely sucks but it's not on Poles.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
You have to put things in perspective. Even if Mack has a DPOY season with the Bears, are they going to win more than 6 or 7 games?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
No the Chargers take $17 and $22m the next two years. The rest is part of the $24m the Bears eat.

Mack’s cap hit with the Bears was slated to be $30.2 million in 2022, $28.5 million in 2023 and $26.3 million in 2024. With the Chargers taking on the entirety of his contract, it frees up plenty of cap space in 2023 and beyond as Poles looks to build his roster around quarterback Justin Fields.

Looking ahead to the 2023 season, the Bears get an additional $28.5 million in cap space, which moves their 2023 cap from $92.9 million to roughly $121 million for the 2023 season, per OverTheCap. Granted, there are only 18 players currently under contract in 2023. Still, it allows Poles the freedom to build his roster moving forward.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
He was healthy when he was traded. Mack hasn't been much healthier at all. Aside from his missed season Miller has missed two games in the last eight years.

Neither is exactly accurate. In the first scenario, if the Bears kept him this year there would have been a substantial cap charge to cut him or trade him in 2023, because his prorated bonuses would not have been paid for those years (and the Bears would have paid his $17.75m salary in 22).

2. Owners don't save $24m, that money has already been paid in bonus up front.
And aside from the 10 games Mack missed last year, which were the result of a less serious injury, Mack has missed two games his entire career.

At this point it is what it is. I can't change it. But I think the Bears chose to sell at his lowest value overall. Case in point, if Mack plays all the games last season, his value is certainly higher than what he was traded for. He was 4 sacks away from a double digit season with 10 games to go.

But I do recognize, in theory at least, we received more in compensation than the Broncos, although the trade value wasn't set when the Broncos traded him.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I don’t agree with that tweet at all. It’s not binary at all, a lot more goes into it than that.

i agree I think it's a sign that they think Gipson is ready to emerge, one of the "talents" of Eberflus was having a solid defense w/ very few superstars...

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
LMAO. OUCH Poles really fucked that up.
Pace did. That is guaranteed money in the form of bonus(es). Poles looks like he got chumped, and I think we could have gotten a little more back, possibly a 4th or 5th this year but the salary (minus bonuses) is off the cap for the remaining contract years.

It frees up A LOT of money for this year too, as he can backload a contract or two.

Mack was my favorite player, but like Hicks he can't stay on the field. It's a good move, puts Mack on a playoff team too.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
just wait...eventually other teams are gonna cut a bunch of bums that we'll eventually sign. Fucking can't wait for CCS to ask about what a free agent guy in street clothes is up too soon.
You don't even know which version of "to, too, or two" to use here. JFC.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This year? Not close at all. It's a lost year because Pace/Nagy fucked up this team. This is essentially the first year for Fields. Hopefully they get him weapons and an improved OL, and actually call plays that work for him..

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I bet that crappy 2000 GMC Sierra you bought for $10k four years ago probably sold for the same amount now, right?
He actually probably could, my son recently sold a used car for more than we paid for it 4 years ago. Used car prices are insane. But than again with the leaky Depends stains on the drivers seat and beat up front end from constantly running into the handicapped pole while using the placard he stole from his "roommate" probably would effect O'pants' RTO.