**OFFICAIL** Regular Season News & Scheisse - FTO : THREAD DERAILING PROHIBITED***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Pretty wild seeing that Detroit is alone in 2nd place in the division.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Detroit winning a bunch of meaningless games, giving their fanbase hope for the future. Hutchinson looks promising, but the Lions aren't fooling anyone. They're insanely lucky the Rams are having an awful year.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Except he did play center and played it well before. His grades at C are much better than Patrick's even with the snap issues. He would have value at the deadline as a rental in the event a team sustained an injury and needed OL help. EJenkins may be an upgrade or he may not as you just admitted he had a down year as he has 16 pressures and 3 sacks albeit splitting between T and G. Davis has basically the same PFF grade as Whitehair and has 8 pressures and 1 sack compared to 6 pressures and 0 sacks for Whitehair. IS also has pretty much the same PFF grade and has 11 pressures and 1 sack. So you are proving my point. None of these guys are clear no doubt upgrades so you are basically advocating 8.3m cap hit by cutting Whitehair and then spending 8-10m on someone who isn't a clear upgrade. They are just your preferences that you have imagined are clear upgrades. It is a poor allocation of resources. You want to spend 16-18 million cutting and replacing Whitehair for players who provide similar production as Whitehair.

Now is this were you pretend the guys you mentioned are so much better than Whitehair because you have watched like 10 games from their All 22 that contradicts their PFF grades and pressure statistics? Or are you going to admit, these are just guys you like and you have no fucking clue how good they are compared to Whitehair.
Why you so angry? Throwing around F bombs calling things stupid. LOL. I am making a very valid and well supported argument. You just apparently have a bias to keeping the longest tenured Bear, and that's fine.

You're really using counting stats to support Whitehair.....who has missed 4 games? Of course Whitehair has given up fewer sacks and pressures than Seumalo who has played 250 more snaps.

I believe all are clear, no doubt upgrades over Whitehair GOING FORWARD. Jenkins has shown he can play the same position better, in the same exact scheme. Davis has shown he can play better (and I have watched every single Titans game for the 3 years prior to this one, because my nephew was on the team). Seumalo is healthier, 2 years younger, and likely better too. Going forward is the key here. As I said, better to get rid of a player too early than too late. Whitehair being hurt this year and turning 31 in the summer doesn't bode well to future health outlook. All the guys I mentioned are younger than him. Jenkins has health issues as well, but he's 5 years younger and in 2021 was one of the best OL in the league. He IS a clear upgrade to Whitehair going forward, IMO.

And yes, I want to spend 16-18 million upgrading the offensive line. Don't give me "poor allocation of resources" crap for a team that has the most dead money in the league by far this year. Talk about stupid arguments. The Rams paid like 50Mil and multiple 1sts at QB and won a SB. Teams upgrade players they don't think are good enough literally ALL THE TIME, dead cap be damned. Don't at like I am making this outlandish proposal that's never been done. It's literally been done by this GM in his 8 months on the job.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
People hating on Detroit but forgetting they own the Rams pick. So they are having their cake and eating it too. Good for them.
Im confused, are people supposed to stop hating because the Lions have the Rams pick? IDK about you but i hate them because they're a shit organization with awful and obnoxious fans.

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
People hating on Detroit but forgetting they own the Rams pick. So they are having their cake and eating it too. Good for them.

Now Detroit is eating cake??

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Very odd that Wiederer specifically mentions INT% but does it as a team stat(which makes you believe that Fields is last in the league when it really is Mac Jones) and doesn't mention he is also 5th in TD%. When you throw the ball as little as the Bears do, you're going to be high in both categories unless you don't do either of those things.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think not having Herbert was huge. It's why Fields had 14 carries in the 1st half. Ebner just ain't it and Montgomery was getting banged around pretty good when he was running.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
They had him playing T when his best position is probably as a G or C.
He looks bad regardless. Moving him to G won’t fix that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why you so angry? Throwing around F bombs calling things stupid. LOL. I am making a very valid and well supported argument. You just apparently have a bias to keeping the longest tenured Bear, and that's fine.

You're really using counting stats to support Whitehair.....who has missed 4 games? Of course Whitehair has given up fewer sacks and pressures than Seumalo who has played 250 more snaps.

I believe all are clear, no doubt upgrades over Whitehair GOING FORWARD. Jenkins has shown he can play the same position better, in the same exact scheme. Davis has shown he can play better (and I have watched every single Titans game for the 3 years prior to this one, because my nephew was on the team). Seumalo is healthier, 2 years younger, and likely better too. Going forward is the key here. As I said, better to get rid of a player too early than too late. Whitehair being hurt this year and turning 31 in the summer doesn't bode well to future health outlook. All the guys I mentioned are younger than him. Jenkins has health issues as well, but he's 5 years younger and in 2021 was one of the best OL in the league. He IS a clear upgrade to Whitehair going forward, IMO.

And yes, I want to spend 16-18 million upgrading the offensive line. Don't give me "poor allocation of resources" crap for a team that has the most dead money in the league by far this year. Talk about stupid arguments. The Rams paid like 50Mil and multiple 1sts at QB and won a SB. Teams upgrade players they don't think are good enough literally ALL THE TIME, dead cap be damned. Don't at like I am making this outlandish proposal that's never been done. It's literally been done by this GM in his 8 months on the job.

I don't have a bias at all. I again have no problem with moving Whitehair. I just don't find your argument persuasive. You actually have not cited any info to suggest these guys will be better going forward outside of because you said so. When you mentioned them, I went to PFF and looked at pressure stats assuming they would blow Whitehair out of the water but they don't.

After yesterday's games, Whitehair actually grades out higher than all of them pass blocking. He is 23rd at G with a 70.9 grade while IS is 31st with a 67.7 grade and Davis 36th with a 65.3 grade. Their pass block efficiency which takes into account snaps has Whitehair 13th at G with a 98.3 grade while Davis is 27th at 98 and IS is 37th at 97.7. Jenkins is a tougher eval as he has played tackle but his pass block grade is 62.7 and his pass block efficiency is 97.2.

SMH, I want to spend 16-19m upgrading the OL as well. I want a new C/G and a new T so that is 16-18 million right there. What I don't find logical is 16-18m on one spot which is what you are doing if you cut Whitehair and sign IS for 8-10 million. That would be 16.3-18.3m spent on one spot for a guy that grades out similarly to Whitehair. The more logical and responsible thing to do would be to just sign a RT and a G/C while keeping Whitehair and replace Patrick who actually has only graded above 60 once in his entire career. So the issue is you want to cut and replace the better player. Even at Center, Whitehair has always graded out better than Patrick.

Finally, it is also weird to complain about Whitehair's injury when you want to keep Patrick who has missed more time this year. IS missed pretty much the whole year last year with a Lisfranc injury. It is like you only care about Whitehair's injury history when he has proven more durable than both Patrick and IS the last few years.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He looks bad regardless. Moving him to G won’t fix that.

Remains to be seen. Think the point for me though is he is a clear upgrade to Patrick and due to the bad year likely isn't all too expensive. I don't see better names out there to be honest. I do not want to go into next year with Patrick as a starter. He can serve as depth. Whitehair or Jenkins can play C with the other one holding down LG. That means the only way Leatherwood or Patrick see the field on the interior is if they actually prove to be superior options rather than handed the job due to weak competition.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't have a bias at all. I again have no problem with moving Whitehair. I just don't find your argument persuasive. You actually have not cited any info to suggest these guys will be better going forward outside of because you said so. When you mentioned them, I went to PFF and looked at pressure stats assuming they would blow Whitehair out of the water but they don't.

After yesterday's games, Whitehair actually grades out higher than all of them pass blocking. He is 23rd at G with a 70.9 grade while IS is 31st with a 67.7 grade and Davis 36th with a 65.3 grade. Their pass block efficiency which takes into account snaps has Whitehair 13th at G with a 98.3 grade while Davis is 27th at 98 and IS is 37th at 97.7. Jenkins is a tougher eval as he has played tackle but his pass block grade is 62.7 and his pass block efficiency is 97.2.

SMH, I want to spend 16-19m upgrading the OL as well. I want a new C/G and a new T so that is 16-18 million right there. What I don't find logical is 16-18m on one spot which is what you are doing if you cut Whitehair and sign IS for 8-10 million. That would be 16.3-18.3m spent on one spot for a guy that grades out similarly to Whitehair. The more logical and responsible thing to do would be to just sign a RT and a G/C while keeping Whitehair and replace Patrick who actually has only graded above 60 once in his entire career. So the issue is you want to cut and replace the better player. Even at Center, Whitehair has always graded out better than Patrick.

Finally, it is also weird to complain about Whitehair's injury when you want to keep Patrick who has missed more time this year. IS missed pretty much the whole year last year with a Lisfranc injury. It is like you only care about Whitehair's injury history when he has proven more durable than both Patrick and IS the last few years.
I don't WANT to keep Patrick. Just saying, I think they will because C is harder to find and that's what they brought him here to play and he hasn't gotten a chance to play it. Plus, he's younger and cheaper than Whitehair. I don't WANT to cut Whitehair either. I just want to upgrade the line. And like I said, they ARE keeping Jones in there. They SHOULD keep Jenkins starting. They PROBABLY will keep Patrick. So that leaves RT and Whitehair to be upgraded. If they decide to cut Patrick and can clearly upgrade him, I'm fine with them keeping Whitehair. I just think that's much harder to do, because like I said, the pool of players who can play an effective C is much smaller than the pool of those who can play an effective LG.

I'm not disputing Whitehair is better than Patrick. I'm literally only talking about value. Whitehair at 14.1M vs. Patrick at 5.5M or whatever is a clear value difference. I don't care what Whitehair graded as a C. There's now been 2 coaching staffs and 2 regimes that have refused to move him back to C to let Sam Mustipher start there for the last 2 years.

And yes, spend 16-18Mil to upgrade LG, because it will upgrade the entire OL. Not just in 2023, but also beyond that as Whitehair would certainly be cut after 2023 if he's not cut after 2022. So, even if it's a similar player in 2023 (IDK why similar is bad, if Whitehair is so good), it's a player under contract going forward. And you're going to have to find a C after 2023 anyway as Patrick's deal is up. You take that dead cap hit in 2023 because you can afford it now.

Also part of my reasoning is because the Bears are going to be picking top 10. They have a shot at OT1 in this draft and there are some good ones, and I think that's the best way to get an elite player on this offense. I don't think they are going to sign an elite OT (Brown is not one or a fit). There aren't any elite guards in this draft (1st round talents). So, paying for a solid-to-good LG and drafting RT/LT high is preferable to me over paying for a RT and drafting a C (also no elite prospects here).

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't WANT to keep Patrick. Just saying, I think they will because C is harder to find and that's what they brought him here to play and he hasn't gotten a chance to play it. Plus, he's younger and cheaper than Whitehair. I don't WANT to cut Whitehair either. I just want to upgrade the line. And like I said, they ARE keeping Jones in there. They SHOULD keep Jenkins starting. They PROBABLY will keep Patrick. So that leaves RT and Whitehair to be upgraded. If they decide to cut Patrick and can clearly upgrade him, I'm fine with them keeping Whitehair. I just think that's much harder to do, because like I said, the pool of players who can play an effective C is much smaller than the pool of those who can play an effective LG.

I'm not disputing Whitehair is better than Patrick. I'm literally only talking about value. Whitehair at 14.1M vs. Patrick at 5.5M or whatever is a clear value difference. I don't care what Whitehair graded as a C. There's now been 2 coaching staffs and 2 regimes that have refused to move him back to C to let Sam Mustipher start there for the last 2 years.

And yes, spend 16-18Mil to upgrade LG, because it will upgrade the entire OL. Not just in 2023, but also beyond that as Whitehair would certainly be cut after 2023 if he's not cut after 2022. So, even if it's a similar player in 2023 (IDK why similar is bad, if Whitehair is so good), it's a player under contract going forward. And you're going to have to find a C after 2023 anyway as Patrick's deal is up. You take that dead cap hit in 2023 because you can afford it now.

Also part of my reasoning is because the Bears are going to be picking top 10. They have a shot at OT1 in this draft and there are some good ones, and I think that's the best way to get an elite player on this offense. I don't think they are going to sign an elite OT (Brown is not one or a fit). There aren't any elite guards in this draft (1st round talents). So, paying for a solid-to-good LG and drafting RT/LT high is preferable to me over paying for a RT and drafting a C (also no elite prospects here).

I am just saying that Patrick wasn't exactly great at C before this year either. He has typically graded out in the 50s. Personally I would rather just keep Whitehair and sign Jenkins. Patrick can backup.

Jones/Borom
Whitehair
EJenkins
TJenkins
Conklin

That is much better than putting Patrick in there at C IMO. In the draft you can then go BPA for the most part. Jenkins and Conklin would have the benefit of already knowing the system which takes some time to learn. I would probably still look to get a T and young Center at some point in the draft as well.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

I'd prefer they address 4 spots because they have the resources and it could create a really good OL with depth.

Sign Conklin and Jenkins. Draft Fasanu or Skoronski (after trading back hopefully to accumulate another 2nd and potentially future 1st). Then draft a C (I prefer Michigan's if available) with the Ravens 2nd or our own 3rd.

Fashanu - Jenkins - Rookie (Oluwatimi) - Jenkins - Conklin
Jones/Borom - Leatherwood - Patrick - Leatherwood- Jones/Borom

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.