**OFFICAIL** Regular Season News & Scheisse - FTO : THREAD DERAILING PROHIBITED***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
What twist of narrative? People have been speculating about drafting pass rush since before the season even began.
He’s talking about the WR noise

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

He spoke to Mark Potash of the Chicago Sun-Timesabout what the Bears might do at #3 overall. He made one thing clear from the start. Don’t expect them to target an offensive prospect. In his estimation, there isn’t a player on that side of the ball in this class worthy of going that high. That means one of two things will happen. Either they’ll take the best defensive player on their board or trade down with a team seeking a quarterback.

“TRADING DOWN AND LETTING SOMEBODY GET THAT THIRD QUARTERBACK IS ALWAYS [A POSSIBILITY] — YOU CAN GET A LOT IN RETURN,” KIPER SAID. “YOU’RE NOT GOING TO GET A RECEIVER THERE. THERE’S NO OFFENSIVE LINEMAN TO TAKE AT [NO. 3]. THERE’S NOBODY ON THE OFFENSIVE SIDE OF THE BALL TO TAKE AT 3 OTHER THAN A QUARTERBACK.”

I’m thinking it’s a trade back.

Once the QB Off season hype train begins, I think we will see 3-5 QBs with a “first round grade”. For a QB, that only means they have potential and upside and any other draft jargon, and will, most likely, be over drafted.

Tyson Bagent | Shepherd

You may not know much about Bagent, but you will start hearing his name soon. He has been one of the most dominant DII players in the nation and a 4 year starter for the Shepherd Rams in Shepherdstown, WV. Since taking over in 2018, Bagent has thrown for 16,000 yards and 153 TDs while completing 69% of his 1,894 career pass attempts. Bagent will soon be a household name in the draft community as he is the first QB that has verbally accepted his invite to the 2023 Senior Bowl. I was tipped off on Bagent back in September, so I dove into some of his film and have been following him since then.

Bagent has a tall, lanky build (6’3”, 210 lbs) and appears to be a terrific athlete with incredible pocket mobility, despite his lack of rushing production. The Shepherd scheme strictly kept him as a passer, but he has scored 11 career rushing TDs. The first thing that jumps off the tape is how quick he is to move the ball out of his hand due to lighting speed processing abilities. He is a true chain mover that frequently will take the open guys and checkdowns rather than being too aggressive. The zip is very average, but he throws with some very interesting arm angles and exemplifies impressive touch on the ball. You don’t look at his arm and say “WOW!”, but he gets the job done. One concern I have with Bagent is that he is playing with far superior talent over most of his opponents. Shepherd has been a DII powerhouse in their conference and frequently had offensive lineman and receivers dominate their matchups. Regardless, Bagent is an intriguing prospect that I look forward to watching compete at the Senior Bowl.
Bo Nix | Oregon

The former 5-star dual threat was written off after a rough start to his career in the SEC at Auburn. Despite upsetting both Justin Herbert and Mac Jones as a true freshman, Nix was never consistently a top passer in the conference. Now, after transferring to Oregon, Nix has been one of the most dominant players in the nation and a potential dark horse Heisman candidate. Part of the emergence could be due to a new team with a legitimate WR1, Troy Franklin. However, the traits have always been there and Nix possesses an elastic arm and excellent mobility, which has pushed him into the early round discussion. Nix’s deep ball has been one of the best in college football and has certainly caught the attention of NFL scouts. I’d assume the Alabama native and well connected prospect has gotten an invite to the Senior Bowl, but assume he still is deciding on if he wants to return to Oregon for his final season. If he is in Mobile, expect many scouts to be dissecting Nix as a prospect all week long.

Mid Round Picks

Michael Penix Jr. | Washington

The 5th year senior has had his ups and downs throughout college but is enjoying a late “breakout” season where he stands atop the nation in passing yards. In his four seasons at Indiana, Penix never surpassed 14 TDs or 2,000 yards…both hurdles that he cleared by midseason this year. There were times where Penix’s career looked like it was done, but he made the correct decision to transfer to Washington, which has revitalized his career. Despite being in his 5th season, Penix turns just 23 in March. He is on the older side of the group, but still more than two years younger than Hendon Hooker.

Penix, a lefty, can absolutely sling the ball and comfortably controls the ball with a combination of touch and zip. His 2022 tape is filled with dot after dot as well as off platform throws, sophisticated release points and impressive big-time plays. If you are unsure about Penix Jr., I’d advise you to watch his games against Michigan State and Oregon, which were both outings where he showed off his upside and completely took over the game. Like Nix, Penix benefitted from a much-improved arsenal of weapons following his transfer, but he is also a key reason why Washington has bounced back. I anticipate Michael Penix Jr. to be a mid-round draft pick that offers a high ceiling to a team wanting to take a shot without spending an early round pick.

There are other evaluations here.

Last edited:

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Good for Tonga but he has 0 sacks and 4 pressures. Bears will want IOL that van actually rush the passer although probably should have kept him over Pennel as the run stopping DL.
Yeah Tongas probably an upgrade but realistically it’s the backup NT spot - a lot bigger issues with the D that he doesn’t impact.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Good for Tonga but he has 0 sacks and 4 pressures. Bears will want IOL that van actually rush the passer although probably should have kept him over Pennel as the run stopping DL.
You’re absolutely right. It came down to the difference between a NT, invaluable in a 3-4, vs a hold the point true A gapper in a 4-3. This position is more of a luxury and scheme fit to how they line up their DTs within the shell.

I always liked the kid at BYU and have said many times that he was the best player on that team and that Wilson was always trash. I never got the Wilson hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.