**OFFICAIL** Regular Season News & Scheisse - FTO : THREAD DERAILING PROHIBITED***

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I enjoy reading a QBs perspective on things, but sometimes these guys go a little too far into “does he play like I did” mode. Warner was fantastic, but Justin will likely never be that level of a volume passer.
Some of these guys haven’t grasped how the modern NFL offense has evolved. It’s not our dad’s game anymore.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I enjoy reading a QBs perspective on things, but sometimes these guys go a little too far into “does he play like I did” mode. Warner was fantastic, but Justin will likely never be that level of a volume passer.

Sometimes I wonder if Warner also forgets that he was throwing to Isaac Bruce and Tory Holt while having Marshall Faulk in the backfield when he was with the Rams. They were absolutely loaded on offense. And in Arizona he had in his prime Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin. I imagine that makes it easier to play.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Sometimes I wonder if Warner also forgets that he was throwing to Isaac Bruce and Tory Holt while having Marshall Faulk in the backfield when he was with the Rams. They were absolutely loaded on offense. And in Arizona he had in his prime Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin. I imagine that makes it easier to play.
Totally.

I know Fields has missed reads and has been hesitant to pull the trigger at times but I have to believe some of that anticipatory throwing will start coming along as he develops further, as he was more of a see it, throw it QB. Better talent should lead to more trust.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think it was Tim Jenkins who said something that i wish more of these QB gurus would mention and that's that most people who evaluate Fields film don't understand what its like to be one of the best athletes on the planet. When you can blow by an entire defense like Justin can, it changes the processing math. I dont think this is something Warner understands as he watches everything through HOF pocket passer eyes. Out of everyone who has broken down Fields tape, he seems to be the least nuanced.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think it was Tim Jenkins who said something that i wish more of these QB gurus would mention and that's that most people who evaluate Fields film don't understand what its like to be one of the best athletes on the planet. When you can blow by an entire defense like Justin can, it changes the processing math. I dont think this is something Warner understands as he watches everything through HOF pocket passer eyes. Out of everyone who has broken down Fields tape, he seems to be the least nuanced.

The reality is teams throw because throwing generally results in bigger plays at the expense of more risk (sack, fumble, int, incompletion). There is usually a 3 or more yard difference between YPA and YPC. However for the Bears Fields YPA is 7.2 (14th) and his YPC is 6.8 (2nd). So that is only a half yard difference. In that scenario the risk reward structure is out of whack. The additional risks of throwing are not actually resulting in higher rewards ie just a 0.4 yard difference and thus from a purely risk reward standpoint, if there is any concerns about risk, you should run not throw.

Consciously or subconsciously I suspect this is the internal struggle Fields is battling. Does he hang in there and try and throw the ball risking 4 bad outcomes or does he just run knowing his bad outcomes are less and because he is so great running, the reward for running isn't all that different than it is for his passing. This is likely why Getsy is calling so many runs and is probably fine with the scrambles. There isn't a low lot of difference for the O if Fields runs for 6.8 yards vs throws for 7.2 yards but again the former is safer than the latter.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
It’s pretty wild to think that the Bears top draft picks in 2022 and 2023 could be def Mens I’ve players.

Just goes to show how many holes this roster has.
Yeah, but aside from quarterback those six defensive players are probably the best players in this draft class.

Last edited:

Rise

Liked Posts:
If Eberflus doesn’t step in and hold Fields out of this game and he gets hurt worse I’d fire him.

Status
Not open for further replies.