**OFFICAIL** Regular Season News & Scheisse - FTO : THREAD DERAILING PROHIBITED***

Status
Not open for further replies.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
My guess this is the main guy. If they find a taker for a trade up paris can be had in that 10-20 range.

JSN hasn't played much this year and at this point I wouldnt be shocked if he drops out of the top 20.
I would not be surprised if JSN opts out of the draft altogether and comes back to Ohio State for the 2023 season.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it's a better narrative to say Fields' arm literally fell off and was being held on with duct tape and the staff had to hide his helmet and cleats to keep him off the field. Plays better than we needed him in the big game but he refused to play because his personal physician said he wasn't ready.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Would be ballsy for JSN to opt out of the draft. I think he goes top 20 even with the injury.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He's not playing today either. I wonder if he will even declare for the draft after a completely lost season. This isn't like Jamarr Chase sitting out a season during Covid and preparing for the draft. Smith-Njigba is injured and can't do anything. It's a bad look, no matter if he is healthy by the combine.

The question is though, does he stay at OSU in that loaded WR and risk losing numbers to Harrison Jr and Egbuka?

No point in staying. Sooner he is in the league the sooner he gets to 2nd contract. 2nd round also is better than 1st round long term as no 5th year option. So leaving this year potentially results in him getting to FA after 4 years rather than 6 years if he waits and then is a 1st round pick.
I think the risk of making the injury worse is not worth that benefit. He has already played and played well against some really good NFL defenses.

Sure that is a possibility. Just saying there is a benefit but always have to weigh against the risks.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shelf him the rest of the year. AC injuries are annoying and very finicky. Let that thing heal and Simien your way to a top 2 pick ??

lol

I love how ppl make calls like this with zero access to any real information

This is football. Can't be a player without playing. Obviously you sit if that's what the docs say. But as a preemptive precaution? That's dumb.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
lol

I love how ppl make calls like this with zero access to any real information

This is football. Can't be a player without playing. Obviously you sit if that's what the docs say. But as a preemptive precaution? That's dumb.

I wouldn’t call doing what’s best for the franchise dumb. There is zero to gain by playing him and like it or not, the best thing for the Bears long term is to lose out and get the best pick possible so they could trade down and set the franchise up with multiple premium picks. That’s all the “real information” that I need.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Would be ballsy for JSN to opt out of the draft. I think he goes top 20 even with the injury.
Flip side to that is he comes back healthy for the 2023 season and is top 10. Have seen mocks that have him falling to the bottom of the 1st into the top of the 2nd.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Flip side to that is he comes back healthy for the 2023 season and is top 10. Have seen mocks that have him falling to the bottom of the 1st into the top of the 2nd.
Zero chance he falls to the 2nd. I mean, sure…everything goes perfect he comes back stays healthy and is a top 10 pick, but he’s already likely a top 20-25 pick right now. Teams are drafting WRs earlier and earlier and teams in the 15-25 range will likely find it too difficult to pass on JSN who only fell due to injury.

Canth

Liked Posts:

The interesting question he has to ask to himself is how likely he thinks he can be a top 10 pick in the 2024 draft vs the money he can get going into the 2023 draft. Top 10 means a 4 year contract, with the 5th year option in the neighborhood of $21+ million. Going anywhere in the 1st round likely still has a contract value over $12 million and going in the 2nd round puts him in the $6-9million range over the 4 years. So, he could theoretically make over $10-15 million more going in the top 10 than late 1st or 2nd round. For 1st round picks there is also a big difference in the 5th year option value between going top 10 and outside the top 10.

However, staying in the 2023 draft gets him one year closer to a chance at his 2nd NFL contract where good NFL receivers are getting paid a lot of money. So, say he goes in the 2nd round and has a 4 year contract worth $7million. He plays great and earns a 2nd NFL contract that pays him like the Kirk deal, 4 years, $72million. He is now making big money and likely with a signing bonus that gets him to similar money he would have had for waiting a year and going top 10 in the same timeframe. Plus, if he waits a year and goes in the 1st round, he would still technically be under his rookie deal for 2 more years assuming the team exercises the 5th year option.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t call doing what’s best for the franchise dumb. There is zero to gain by playing him and like it or not, the best thing for the Bears long term is to lose out and get the best pick possible so they could trade down and set the franchise up with multiple premium picks. That’s all the “real information” that I need.

Not sure one can claim they know what is best for the franchise when we have little insight as to the extent of his injury.

Every game of experience this year is valuable and puts him closer to figuring it all out IMO. So shelfing him for 6 games is has a real cost to it. 6 games if game experience is massively important for him. Of course if he is injured then moot point but this suggestion feels like overreaction.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Not sure one can claim they know what is best for the franchise when we have little insight as to the extent of his injury.

Every game of experience this year is valuable and puts him closer to figuring it all out IMO. So shelfing him for 6 games is has a real cost to it. 6 games if game experience is massively important for him. Of course if he is injured then moot point but this suggestion feels like overreaction.

It’s pretty simple for me - The best possible draft position is better for the franchise long term than 6 games of experience for Fields, especially at less than 100%. We know Fields can play, even with a sub-par supporting cast. Does anyone have any doubt that if Poles upgrades the OL and adds another weapon that Fields won’t light it up next year? Is 6 games this season going to change that? That’s absurd.

Playing Fields not only risks further injury, but also jeopardizes draft position. I would much rather avoid both of those risks. There is absolutely zero upside to going that route and a whole lot of downside

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
You act like there's no way the draft picks won't bust out. It can happen. Cheering for a better draft pick just makes one a loser.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
And probably most of the fan base too.
With Fields on the sidelines Bears fans will really see how lacking in talent this offense truly is. It will show just how great JF1 has played this season just to keep Bears in games.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Best for the franchise? What if he is fine in two weeks? How is it best for the franchise to take all the practice and game reps away from a guy that is still learning?

If there is danger of long term damage, fine. Sit him. But that is a big assumption.

Football players play football.

Status
Not open for further replies.