Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I never said he should have said what he said. But truth is everyone is thinking it. Alot of people pretending to pay respects to Haskins meanwhile shitting on him in their head..

I've never shat on anyone in my head. Your headspace sounds disgusting.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Look, it's sad and tragic. I feel sorry for his family. Anytyme someone dies its bad. This situation is similar to the Henry Ruggs situation. Both were in a questionable state of mind, both made bad choices. Ruggs' bad choices killed an innocent lady, Haskins' bad choice got him killed. I think we need to pray for both of them. I think these young players in the NFL need to look at both of these young men's lives and reconsider the "night life" and culture that let to these tragedies. I think Gil Brant was harsh with his comments, and that convoluted his point. I think, he was trying to just say this situation was par for the course and was the eventual result of a pattern of bad choices.
Indeed. Prayer is needed. Please don't forget to include him in your thoughts as well.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Everyone is so filtered and politically correct, I respected the fact that Brandt was able to speak his mind, based off HIS personal experiences of scouting Haskins and HIS interactions with him.

Brandts deeper point was that Haskins didn't take well to counsel, didn't take responsibility, and on general could have used better judgement in his decision making. That's HIS opinion based off of HIS knowledge of him. Its not far off of what reports has been said about him. You dont get cut off your rookie contract for no reason, especially when your team's next best option is. Some dude off the street at ODU.

Maybe too soon. Maybe in poor taste. Maybe harsh. But it doesn't take away that this is a needless tragedy that everyone is mourning. It's just some mourn in a different way and hope it could be used as a learning lesson, instead of the whole matter being brushed off.
So if someone has a small professional interaction with someone several years ago that makes you value their opinion about that person today? Somehow I doubt that would apply if your celebration of his undermining cancel culture wasn't involved.

And you're actually trying to say that Gil Brandt was attempting to teach people a lesson about this tragedy while mourning Haskins? That is legitimately idiotic.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
99% of people who were casually aware of Dewayne Haskins had the same thoughts. Just not as many are saying it because the world wants to pretend they didn't think it.

You see, we are all just anonymous message board nitwits with a keyboard. Half of what is said on here wouldn't be said in real life or even on social media for people to see and be scrutinized for. Yet some on here actually want to take a moral high ground over stating the obvious.

I'm not saying that what was said on the radio should have been said. I'm simply giving respect because he is just speaking what literally everyone is thinking. Just that only anonymous people online are usually the ones that Talk about it..
Even spacey 90 year olds that no longer need to give a shit get it more than you do. And he couldn't give 2 shits about being cancelled anymore. You must be a riot at eulogies.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I'll tell you guys one thing: when I want really knowledgeable takes on the grieving process and on understanding the mental health problems of being a youth today, the first person I always turn to is Gil Brandt.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'll tell you guys one thing: when I want really knowledgeable takes on the grieving process and on understanding the mental health problems of being a youth today, the first person I always turn to is Gil Brandt.
He's so brave.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I gotta respect the fact that he doesn't give a s*** about cancel culture. He is just saying what everyone is thinking. It's just that he doesn't care to ask permission first to speak it out loud.
He apologized, I guess you've lost all respect for that senile old bastard now. He probably just didn't remember where he was when he started talking

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Everyone is so filtered and politically correct, I respected the fact that Brandt was able to speak his mind, based off HIS personal experiences of scouting Haskins and HIS interactions with him.

Brandts deeper point was that Haskins didn't take well to counsel, didn't take responsibility, and on general could have used better judgement in his decision making. That's HIS opinion based off of HIS knowledge of him. Its not far off of what reports has been said about him. You dont get cut off your rookie contract for no reason, especially when your team's next best option is. Some dude off the street at ODU.

Maybe too soon. Maybe in poor taste. Maybe harsh. But it doesn't take away that this is a needless tragedy that everyone is mourning. It's just some mourn in a different way and hope it could be used as a learning lesson, instead of the whole matter being brushed off.
Celebrating nastiness just because it's bold and offensive to people you disagree with in some partisan fabrication of reality really bit you in the ass BROTHER.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Celebrating nastiness just because it's bold and offensive to people you disagree with in some partisan fabrication of reality really bit you in the ass BROTHER.
I wanted to respond to him pages ago but he’s just not worth it

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I mean, he's 90. Don't think he gives two shits

At first glance I thought this was Kyle Brandt from GMFB.

Just some old racist POS who no longer cares what people think of him.
Gil Brandt was offensive long before he turned 90.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wait, stating facts is offensive now?

I'm guessing at least half of the nfl viewership has no idea who dwayne haskins is.
Yes. Stating something negative about a man while announcing his death is offensive. Because it's totally unnecessary.

We don't need dirt. We don't need to read - "He died after being struck by lightning. He was recently fired from his job. He leaves a wife, two kids, and a poor credit score."

TL1961

Liked Posts:
99% of people who were casually aware of Dewayne Haskins had the same thoughts. Just not as many are saying it because the world wants to pretend they didn't think it.

You see, we are all just anonymous message board nitwits with a keyboard. Half of what is said on here wouldn't be said in real life or even on social media for people to see and be scrutinized for. Yet some on here actually want to take a moral high ground over stating the obvious.

I'm not saying that what was said on the radio should have been said. I'm simply giving respect because he is just speaking what literally everyone is thinking. Just that only anonymous people online are usually the ones that Talk about it..
I don't know Dwayne Haskins personally. But I never once was thinking "he was living to be dead".

There's a difference between feeling he did something to cause his own death and publicly stating "he deserved it".

"He was living to be dead" is not a comment about the incident. It is a comment about the individual in general. "Maybe if he stayed in school he wouldn't be jogging on the highway, doesn't say "gee, it's dumb to jog on the highway". It says "He was a dumb person".

TL1961

Liked Posts:

You are missing the entire point.

Maybe Brandt's deeper point was pretty accurate. I don't know whether it was or wasn't, and that's not what we're arguing.

The point people are making - and the reason people found Brandt's comments offensive - was that it was unnecessary to point that out publicly hours before he died.

Nobody is asking Brandt to give a eulogy deifying Haskins and saying he never made poor decisions.

We are simply pointing out the obvious - pointing out negatives in an announcement of, or discussion of, Haskins' death is classless and out of bounds.

Schefter, a Michigan alum, threw shade at former Buckeye Haskins by saying "he struggled" in the NFL. Brandt pretty much called him dumb. Neither of those things needed to be said at that time. There is no way to defend a man opining - and it was clearly an opinion, NOT fact - to say "He was living to be dead."

Many times we see announcements of someone's death accompanied by sympathy, offering prayers and support for family and friends, etc. They don't include the fact the person struggled and committed suicide, for example.

This is not difficult to comprehend for anyone with an open mind.

Last edited:

mbison

Liked Posts:
R.I.P.

Not sure why a logical human being would try to cross traffic walking on the highway, tho.

He ran out of gas on the highway. If you have ever rented a rental car before you would know that they said fill it to a quarter tank. It’s really easy to run out of gas that way. I’ve done it a few times

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never said he should have said what he said. But truth is everyone is thinking it. Alot of people pretending to pay respects to Haskins meanwhile shitting on him in their head..

please do not presume to tell me what I am thinking

tyvm

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
After a night of rest, I apologize for my initial response. I've always stated I felt terrible about the tragic loss of Dewayne Haskins, but you lose sight of the permanent aspect of death until you had time to better process it. Its not a football game or a bad decision. It's a life that's gone forever.

I shouldn't have used Brandts poor response as a reason to knock cancel culture. It was in very poor taste to try and make a point about it and thus diminish someone's life in the process.

There is no reason for me to bring up Haskins shortcomings. It does nothing positive or serves any benefit to the situation ti bring it up. It's only hurtful and is essentially stomping on a dead man. It's very wrong of me.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
After a night of rest, I apologize for my initial response. I've always stated I felt terrible about the tragic loss of Dewayne Haskins, but you lose sight of the permanent aspect of death until you had time to better process it. Its not a football game or a bad decision. It's a life that's gone forever.

I shouldn't have used Brandts poor response as a reason to knock cancel culture. It was in very poor taste to try and make a point about it and thus diminish someone's life in the process.

There is no reason for me to bring up Haskins shortcomings. It does nothing positive or serves any benefit to the situation ti bring it up. It's only hurtful and is essentially stomping on a dead man. It's very wrong of me.
Don't apologize to these douchebags. They won't accept it anyway and will dance on your grave.

Nothing you said was all that offensive and remember...these are the same guys that defend calling Jordan Love a shitstain and skidmark.

Crocodile tears everywhere.