***OFFICAL*** Bears GM/Coaching Search News Thread

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
Any word/rumor/tweet about how the Kwesi Adofo Mensah interview went today?

Just curious. I guess if I had a GM favorite other than Dodds then he's it.

Those are also my top two candidates. Seem like competitors as opposed to cars salesmen. I'd be very happy with either of them in the role.

That Dodds quote from 2018 gave me goosebumps. I like the fire.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
@TL1961 what candidates interest you or ones that you're hoping they land?
I am not too down on some names that have surfaced but would need to learn more and/or talk myself into liking a hire after the fact when it comes to Flores, Daboll, Bowles. I think those three are decent, but I can't say I am rooting for one of them.

I don't know anything of Eberflus.

I prefer to stay away from Frazier. Pederson? Nobody seems to like the idea, which is odd since he won a SB, but Philly didn't keep him long after so that's odd.

I simply can't stand the idea of McDaniel even though I do think he's a good offensive mind.

I root against Harbaugh at Michigan, and I have made no secret that I have a hard time with his personality, but in all seriousness, he would bring instant credibility I believe. And he has had success.

So, that's a long way of saying I don't love any one candidate but don't really dislike more than one or two.

When I see the list of GM candidates I think the Bears are looking at some really good people. When I see the list of coaching candidates (which excludes Harbaugh) I think "meh". But many coaches succeeding seemed "meh" when hired by their teams. Lafleur, Reich, Vrabel (who I love)...

I read someone saying Daboll's offense is perfect for Fields. Lot of play action and deep balls. I didn't know much about him other than seeing a few Buffalo games, but people here seem to like him and he has been getting some love in general from people discussing the job openings.

I left off Leftwich. The "Hey he succeeded with Tom Brady" factor is out there, but in general he seems to get good marks from those who have dealt with him. He could be a good hire. The prior coordinators who got credit for Brady were putzes, but they don't scare me off of Leftwich.

I am just in that mode, like pre-draft, where candidates look good, then you worry about some warts, and doubt a little....in a couple weeks we'll know.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I keep thinking about Mike Tomlin and his interview with the Steelers. He was a Rooney rule candidate but just hit a home run in the interview. I keep hoping the Bears can stumble onto someone like that…
That's the thought I had when answering the question who do I like. Hoping for the guy that just has the right qualities, or has "it"more than a specific playbook. Tomlin and John Harbaugh seem to have "it" and were not highly considered candidates by everybody when their teams hired them.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I agree that those that believe in Fields will heavily weigh that factor. But does it trump all the other negatives with this team (lack of high talent, draft capitals, cap space, etc?

I disagree that draft capital and cap space are not a huge factor for a GM. Draft picks and cap room help turn around a team quickly. It will be hard for the Bears to rebuild the roster quickly with 5 picks and middle of the road cap space (but with lots of holes). Like the Bears, the Jags also have a QB with a high ceiling but also the top pick in the 2022 draft and significant cap space. The miami dolphins may have an unsettled QB situation (unless a GM or coach believes in Too) but have the most cap space in the league this offseason. The broncos have a lot of young talent, 11 picks in the upcoming drafts, and amply cap space. No QB tho. The Raiders, if the coach is fired, have a better roster than the Bears, a QB that although non elite is considered a franchise quality player, and similar cap space to the bears.

I'm not denying that it's a potential attractive job because of Fields, but I disagree with the claim that it's the top job. Which I realize you never took that position but others on this board have.
The top available spot is so obvious.

Only the Giants have Glennon.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
The list of coaching candidates is meh.

The best is Daboll. Offensive guy, a mountain of experience despite his age under the likes of Belicheck, Saban, Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini.

The next best is Leslie Frazier. Same as above but a defensive guy. Would need a strong coordinator.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I keep thinking about Mike Tomlin and his interview with the Steelers. He was a Rooney rule candidate but just hit a home run in the interview. I keep hoping the Bears can stumble onto someone like that…
Hitting a home run in the interview is one of my biggest fears.

If it is a home run against Polian, I would be ok with that because at least I could figure that Polian still has some pro curveballs to pitch and, if the candidate gets ahold of one of them, it would be an honest home run.

Now with George and Teddy, a used-car salesman like Nagy is going to walk out of George's office with a sale which includes extended warranties, undercoating protection and rust protection and George is going to think that he got a deal. Some home run!

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Hitting a home run in the interview is one of my biggest fears.

If it is a home run against Polian, I would be ok with that because at least I could figure that Polian still has some pro curveballs to pitch and, if the candidate gets ahold of one of them, it would be an honest home run.

Now with George and Teddy, a used-car salesman like Nagy is going to walk out of George's office with a sale which includes extended warranties, undercoating protection and rust protection and George is going to think that he got a deal. Some home run!
No shit like when emery fell in love with trestman lol lol

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
They got 900 yards and 10 TDs from Henty and Smith.

McDaniels is a good OC. Doesnt mean he is a good HC. He is not trustworthy which is not a good quality for a HC.
And the 2020 Bears got 10 tds and 700 yards out of Kmet and Graham in one less game. I doubt you would've considered them anywhere near a top 5 TE room. Henry was really close to Graham last year and in fact had less catches and yards then Kmet this year. Smith is in the running for biggest free agent bust contract this year. I was not impressed with the Patriots offensive skill players.

As I said, McDaniels has the biggest red flags of the candidates, but it's short sighted not to do your due diligence on him and talk to the man. If he's learned and grown in the last 12 years, and many men have come out of their 30's way more mature, he's the highest upside candidate out there. And I'd much rather the Bears go down taking a big swing than fizzle out with another safe middling candidate that won't ruffle any Mcaskeys feathers.

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
The list of coaching candidates is meh.

The best is Daboll. Offensive guy, a mountain of experience despite his age under the likes of Belicheck, Saban, Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini.

The next best is Leslie Frazier. Same as above but a defensive guy. Would need a strong coordinator.
Daboll is kinda growing on me. The dude took Josh Allen, who most thought would be a complete bust (myself included), and turned him into one of the best QBs in the NFL today. I can't help but daydream about Daboll using Fields similar to how he uses Josh Allen. If Daboll can bring Ken Dorsey with him from Buffalo I could definitely see Fields taking a huge step forward in his development sooner rather than later. Just my opinion.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And the 2020 Bears got 10 tds and 700 yards out of Kmet and Graham in one less game. I doubt you would've considered them anywhere near a top 5 TE room. Henry was really close to Graham last year and in fact had less catches and yards then Kmet this year. Smith is in the running for biggest free agent bust contract this year. I was not impressed with the Patriots offensive skill players.

As I said, McDaniels has the biggest red flags of the candidates, but it's short sighted not to do your due diligence on him and talk to the man. If he's learned and grown in the last 12 years, and many men have come out of their 30's way more mature, he's the highest upside candidate out there. And I'd much rather the Bears go down taking a big swing than fizzle out with another safe middling candidate that won't ruffle any Mcaskeys feathers.

Well yes 200 yards is not a small difference in this context.

Last 12 years? The dude just bailed on the Colts in 2018 and fucked a few coaches that were supposed to go to the Colts with him in the process. Luckily Ballard and Reich decided to honor the contracts they had already signed.

The dude is a snake plain and simple.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Flores is currently the Vegas favorite (by a pretty decent margin) for the HC job, followed by Frazier and Daboll. Lombardi also thinks that some of the GM candidates aren't a good fit for Chicago because the job in Chicago is "bigger" than what some of the candidates can handle.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Albright usually has good info. And this would make sense why Texans canned their coach after 1 season once they found out Flores was available
I hope that’s the case. I don’t want that sorry ass dude who can’t beat good teams. Would be the same ol Bears again.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Albright usually has good info. And this would make sense why Texans canned their coach after 1 season once they found out Flores was available
Lol that’s still kind of fucked up