***OFFICAL*** Bears GM/Coaching Search News Thread

Visionman

Liked Posts:
One thing for certain: if they do plan to promote Champ to GM, there’s nothing stopping them from hiring a HC in these interviews. Like say, the one being interviewed next…

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Leftwich, Hackett for example. Also coaches like Frazier and Bowles have had success with multiple teams albeit on D.
Neither Jameis or Bortles come close to the success with Allen. Would hardly call Winston’s stint successful either.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
It's just Allen out there balling like a manchild and his mobility is what's keeping the Pats off balance. Not sure it's possible to tell about the scheme so far. But dude did develop Allen, no doubt about that.
Allen is killing it! But so is Singletary. 5.2 a yard right now with 2 touchdowns. Currently, 160 total rushing yards right now.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Neither Jameis or Bortles come close to the success with Allen. Would hardly call Winston’s stint successful either.

Lol, they were 3rd in yards and 4th in points at 28.6 points a game with Winston. Daboll has not come close to that outside of Allen. In fact those yards and points are basically what Allen gets now and Allen is a much better QB than Winston.

That O put up points with Winston and Brady. Brady just limits the Ints.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Lol, they were 3rd in yards and 4th in points at 28.6 points a game with Winston. Daboll has not come close to that outside of Allen. In fact those yards and points are basically what Allen gets now and Allen is a much better QB than Winston.
He was so successful he was relegated to a become a free agent and signed for next to nothing in New Orleans. You can make the same argument for Byron that you can for Brian, how much of is it is Brady and Allen.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is fair and I had similar concerns until I looked into it.

2009, 2010 seasons the Browns improved their total points per game each season (though admittedly, only by a point or so each season). His QBs were Brady Quinn and Colt McCoy.

2011 - Miami went from 31st in the league in points per game to 20th in his lone season. His QB was Matt Moore who had the best season of his career by a long shot.

2012 - Put up basically the same point totals as the prior year though their defense was way worse than in 2011. QBs were Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn. Jamaal Charles had arguably the best season of his career. Of his OC tenure, this is the worst one.

Then with the Bills, they weren't very good years 1 and 2 but they had basically nothing at WR, and the ageless Frank Gore was their featured back. Once they upgraded at wide receiver and grabbed Singleton in the 3rd round, that was when they took off. Their #1 receiver in 2018 (John Brown) was their #4 WR in 2020. #2 in scoring points last year and #3 this year.

This just explains why he wasnt all that successful. No one is looking at his time with those teams and saying he is our guy. He is being propped up entirely by his time with Allen.

It may be that he is a great coach. I just prefer guys with a better track record of success.

Sicario

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Daboll is going get hired by the Bears fast after this domination of the Pats D!!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He was so successful he was relegated to a become a free agent and signed for next to nothing in New Orleans. You can make the same argument for Byron that you can for Brian, how much of is it is Brady and Allen.

This argument makes no sense. The O was a top 5 O in yards and points and actually put up a tad bit more yards and points than the 2021 Bills.

You are somehow knocking him for having a good O with a lesser QB.

And no we cant make the same argument for Leftwich as with Daboll. Leftwich has top offensive seasons with Wisnton and Brady ie 2 guys. Daboll has top offenses with just one guy. That is the difference.

Leftwich has done it with a failed 1st round QB and he has done it with the GOAT who looked terrible the year before with the Pats.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
This argument makes no sense. The O was a top 5 O in yards and points and actually put up a tad bit more yards and points than the 2021 Bills.

You are somehow knocking him for having a good O with a lesser QB.

And no we cant make the same argument for Leftwich as with Daboll. Leftwich has top offensive seasons with Wisnton and Brady ie 2 guys. Daboll has top offenses with just one guy. That is the difference.

Leftwich has done it with a failed 1st round QB and he has done it with the GOAT who looked terrible the year before with the Pats.
Turnovers count. It’s not all on the quarterback. Coaching needs to find a way to fix it too. If you want to consider Jameis Winston being dumped by the Bucs a successful job then be my guest, but I do not. I’m also not knocking his offense im knocking his ability to help his QB and develop one.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Turnovers count. It’s not all on the quarterback. Coaching needs to find a way to fix it too. If you want to consider Jameis Winston being dumped by the Bucs a successful job then be my guest, but I do not. I’m also not knocking his offense im knocking his ability to help his QB and develop one.

Umm the topic isnt Winston. The topic is offense. They had a top offense. That O was far more successful with Winston than any Daboll O with the Browns, Dolphins and Chiefs. Go look it up.

So what we have here is Brady's Bucs stacking up well with Allen Bills. We then have Winston Bucs putting up more points and yards than Daboll's offenses other than Allen's Bills.

I am knocking Daboll's ability to develop any QB other than Allen.

Last edited:

Canth

Liked Posts:
Huh, just looked more at DaBoll and his coaching history. I like that he has done more than coach QB's and been OC. He has history coaching WR's and TE's in addition to QB. He has been an OC in more than one place. I had forgotten that he was the OC for Alabama for a year in 2017. Now granted, Bama is stacked, but he did obviously have success there with Jalen Hurts and Tua being on a team that won a National Title.

I hadn't realized that he had spent as much time as he did with Belichick and the year with Saban. When you add that to his time with McDermott from the Reid coaching tree, he has certainly experienced a lot of different ideas and ways to get it done.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Where does it say he wants to be the GM too? He doesn't want to work for an ass like in SF. If it was someone he gets along with it might work.

They fell out because Harbaugh wanted control over the roster. Hence why he went to college where he can control the roster.
I would agree. I also think Harbaugh is the type who would take a GM's input on a player and value his opinion as well.

I don't think you interview Harbaugh...I really don't. If you call him/his people and know he wants the job you just offer him after finding a price range of what it would take. Just my .02.

I could see Harbaugh wanting someone like Kwesi Adofo-Mensah. Got his start in SF when Harbaugh was there and given he is a bit young, more likely to not have an ego about Harbaugh wanting final say.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Umm the topic isnt Winston. The topic is offense. They had a top offense. That O was far more successful with Winston than any Daboll O with the Browns, Dolphins and Chiefs. Go look it up.

So what we have here is Brady's Bucs stacking up well with Allen Bills. We then have Winston Bucs putting up more points and yards than Daboll's offenses everyone else other than Allen's Bills.

I am knocking Daboll's ability to develop any QB other than Allen.
I’m referring specifically to quarter back play. I’m also knocking Byron’s ability to develop anybody, considering he’s never done it before, with any quarter back. You’re missing the forest for the trees saying their offense put up points so it was good when they had to go out and sign a HOF QB to win shit.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
The problem with Daboll is did he just get lucky with Allen? For a guy who has been a coach for a while the only real sucess on his resume is Allen.

As a fan you can never know for sure how much of a QB's development is coaching and how much is the QB which is why I would prefer to have seen some success with someone else.
This is why I've always liked Greg Roman. He's had success everywhere he's been. Apparently nobody else in the NFL seems to notice this because he never gets called in to interview anywhere. It doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You arent following. I repeat.

As a fan you can never know for sure how much of a QB's development is coaching and how much is the QB which is why I would prefer to have seen some success with someone else.

You cant be sure that Daboll really developed Allen or whether Allen would have developed with any decent OC. Which again is why it would have been good to see him have success outside Allen.

I would prefer someone that has had success with multiple QBs. That is my preference. You are free to prefer Daboll. To each his own.
I agree that it is hard to tell sometimes when watching successful teams with great players.

But as they say, no coach succeeds without great players, but some fail to succeed with them.

No OC will look good without the talent on the field. So, no it is absolutely not magic by the OC that makes the player. It is, as many suggested, utilizing that talent properly.

If a coach is succeeding with a talented player, it's a plus. No reason to avoid the coach because the player is good.