***OFFICAL*** Bears GM/Coaching Search News Thread

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
Why the hell would they consider somebody internal like Champ Kelly. There’s a reason this team stinks. What has he done to help the Bears?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Me either. They are going about this the right way. It does not mean they are going to hire the right guy but there is absolutely nothing wrong with interviewing the amount of candidates they have on the list.
It'll never be the right guy if we don't have the right QB. Hopefully that's Fields.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Why the hell would they consider somebody internal like Champ Kelly. There’s a reason this team stinks. What has he done to help the Bears?

Just because Pace was bad doesn't mean Kelly was. Pace was the final decision maker.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
The more they talk to the better chance of them getting swindled again. See Emery, Trestman, Pace I could go on and on.

Stop hiring based on interviews, pick the best resume and move on.
I'm sorry. but this is ridiculous. The interviews are the most important part of this process and casting a wide net is not a bad thing.

Unless the candidate has been a GM in the past, they are taking on a much larger responsibility than they've ever had. It's important to understand what the candidates plan is for these new responsibilities, and what their path to execution looks like to achieve their vision.

The job is way more than making draft picks and signing free agents. At this point their resume doesn't include cap management, draft capital strategy, coaching picks, scout team structures, media strategy, HR structure(they are ultimately at the top of hundreds of employees). Do you not want to know how they will handle these things because they can claim they made some sweet draft picks in the past?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Interesting take
Watson was pushing to go to Miami because of Flores, makes since if Texans hired him to try and keep Watson.
A former Bronco , DJ Williams, claims the Broncos were only successful initially under Josh McD because they filmed other team's practices.

His timeline is messed up because he claims it was when they were 6-0 and then went to London, but the 6-0 start and the London game were separate years. However the spying was apparently true.

McDaniels and the Broncos were each fined $50K in Mini-Spygate, and McDaniels was fired not long after.

Hard fucking pass on this flaming douchebag!!
Yes, he's an arrogant ass! BB junior in my mind, I think he stays there until BB retires.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

Cook is one of the Browns’ top talent evaluators, and it’s easy to see why the Bears wanted to bring him in for an interview. He started out on the scouting side, where he was a pro scout with the Packers (2012-15) before joining the Browns as Assistant Director of Pro Scouting, and recently transitioned to the player personnel side with Cleveland last year.

As Vice President of Player Personnel, Cook works closely with Browns GM and Executive VP of Football Operations Andrew Berry. Berry has raved about Cook’s broad skill set and his ability to evaluate talent, manage the scouting department and his people skills.

Cook has a couple of connections to the Bears, starting with being a college teammate of former Bears great Devin Hester at Miami. Cook also spent time with the Chicago Cubs after he was drafted in the 46th round in the 2009 MLB draft. Bill Polian, who is on the GM search team, hired Cook as a scouting assistant with the Colts back in 2011.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
  • Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, vice president of football operations (Browns): Interviewed 1/13
  • Morocco Brown, director of college scouting (Colts): Interview requested
  • Ran Carthon, director of player personnel (49ers): Interview requested
  • Glenn Cook, vice president of player personnel (Browns): Interviewed 1/12
  • Ed Dodds, vice president of player personnel (Colts): Interview requested
  • Jeff Ireland, assistant general manager (Saints): Interview requested
  • Champ Kelly, assistant director of player personnel (Bears): Interviewed 1/13
  • Omar Khan, vice president of football and business administration: Interview requested
  • Joe Schoen, assistant general manager (Giants): Interview requested
  • Rick Smith, former general manager (Texans): Mentioned as candidate
  • Eliot Wolf, senior consultant (Patriots): Interview requested

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
Is Glenn Cook ready to be GM and de facto VP of football operations, setting the tone for the whole organization…..? I mean, he kinda sounds like Pace….

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Smith being late in the interview process is probably intentional. He sure looks like the most qualified.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
  • Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, vice president of football operations (Browns): Interviewed 1/13
  • Morocco Brown, director of college scouting (Colts): Interview requested
  • Ran Carthon, director of player personnel (49ers): Interview requested
  • Glenn Cook, vice president of player personnel (Browns): Interviewed 1/12
  • Ed Dodds, vice president of player personnel (Colts): Interview requested
  • Jeff Ireland, assistant general manager (Saints): Interview requested
  • Champ Kelly, assistant director of player personnel (Bears): Interviewed 1/13
  • Omar Khan, vice president of football and business administration: Interview requested
  • Joe Schoen, assistant general manager (Giants): Interview requested
  • Rick Smith, former general manager (Texans): Mentioned as candidate
  • Eliot Wolf, senior consultant (Patriots): Interview requested
My source at HH says Dodds is still the leader in this race, despite not having interviewed yet. Polian loves him and George is kicking himself over the Ballard fiasco. STAY TUNED!

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Smith being late in the interview process is probably intentional. He sure looks like the most qualified.
I kind of assume they are interviewing favorites last as well. It keeps from recency bias on someone that had a good interview.