***OFFICAL*** Bears GM/Coaching Search News Thread

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What do the following men have in common?

Vince Lombardi
Chuck Noll
John Madden
Bill Walsh
Hank Stram
Don Shula
Bill Belichik
Jimmy Johnson

"They all won Super Bowls?" Well, yes, that is correct.

Also - Not ONE of them ever won a single Super Bowl without a HOF QB.
And not one of them was ever an All Pro NFL player.

So, let's just accept the fact that coaches can be great and still need the talent on the field to be successful. The argument of "he only won because of X player" is pointless.

And let's dismiss the idea that they need to be great players themselves to get respect. The coaches on this list are among the most highly respected in the history of the game.

I am not delusional enough to think any NFL team will hire a coach who will be successful without great players. But I am not going to look at it as a criticism that they succeeded with great players.

It's no guarantee that an assistant coach who is coaching a great player today will be a great HC. But we need to give the coaches credit where it is due.

Switching sports it goes back to knuckleheads trying to dismiss Phil Jackson's coaching (I am looking directly at you Red Auerbach!) by saying "he had Michael and Scottie" and "he had Shaq and Kobe". In each case, he won multiple titles, and in each case his predecessor also had those players and won none. And, no, he wasn't going to win a title with a crappy roster.

The coach will need to have great players, but not every coach wins with them. Don't dismiss guys having success because of their personnel. See how they use that personnel in ways others might not.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Maybe the Dolphins are ready to hire them and the Bears, well, they're just not sure what to do
The Bears will not be as quick to hire a HC simply because they need to get the GM in place. We all want that to happen. So when some team hires a candidate the Bears are looking at before the Bears make a hire, the usual whining will commence. But let Texas have Flores, and let's pray Miami wants Frazier. That will be OK.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I’m not interested in another OC who looks good thanks to a superstar QB
You want one who doesn't look good with a superstar QB?

And when did Josh Allen become a "superstar" QB, btw? Under Daboll's coaching. He was a high draft pick, and thus considered to have potential, but literally nobody referred to him as a can't miss prospect or superstar.

Rise

Liked Posts:
The Bears will not be as quick to hire a HC simply because they need to get the GM in place. We all want that to happen. So when some team hires a candidate the Bears are looking at before the Bears make a hire, the usual whining will commence. But let Texas have Flores, and let's pray Miami wants Frazier. That will be OK.

Miami wants Daboll, Frazier is most likely the Rooney rule or might as well since they made the trip type of interview.

The question is does Daboll want sunny Miami and mediocre Tua or frigid chicago but a potential stud in fields?

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Miami wants Daboll, Frazier is most likely the Rooney rule or might as well since they made the trip type of interview.

The question is does Daboll want sunny Miami and mediocre Tua or frigid chicago but a potential stud in fields?
Agree. I think Miami hires Daboll and I do think Flores to Texans is a lock and Deshaun Watson reemerges.

Oh well, hopefully our new GM makes a good hire.

You can't deny the Bears don't seem to have a plan in place and are waiting for the "ah ha" moment to hire someone, an epiphany, which may or may not happen.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I’m not interested in another OC who looks good thanks to a superstar QB
Who's the other OC the Bears had who looked good because of a superstar QB?

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Whether or not a team interviews in person means nothing to me at this point. The Bears arent going to hire the coach before the GM, so there will clearly need to be a second round of interviews. They have made that clear.

The first round is not to decide on the guy so much as to possibly eliminate some. And even then, the new GM may decide otherwise.

And, yes, that may put them at a disadvantage, but I doubt a coach jumps at an offer if he has other options open just to save a week. Even if he ultimately accepts with the first team to offer, waiting on the teams that need a GM gives him leverage.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We will see now if McDaniels was part of the plan and will see if ownership has any input. He was interviewed last time and seemed to be one of the finalists. Doubt if Pollian would want him but this should be an inclusive search. He is the most experienced OC in the NFL. They should interview him. Doesn't mean they have to hire him. NE has been one of the best teams in the NFL for years at adjusting for the team they are playing and for the players they have. Sure would like to see the Bears doing that.
If the Bears don't at least kick the tires on McDaniels and try to get him in for an interview this is a half-cocked hiring process and Polian exerting his Colt/Bills biases on George and Teddy. Same goes for Harbaugh.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
You want one who doesn't look good with a superstar QB?

And when did Josh Allen become a "superstar" QB, btw? Under Daboll's coaching. He was a high draft pick, and thus considered to have potential, but literally nobody referred to him as a can't miss prospect or superstar.

You don’t consider Allen a superstar QB?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If the Bears don't at least kick the tires on McDaniels and try to get him in for an interview this is a half-cocked hiring process and Polian exerting his Colt/Bills biases on George and Teddy. Same goes for Harbaugh.
If the Bears interview him, fine. If not, even better.

He's had a HC gig and an OC gig outside of Pats with Brady and failed miserably, and is widely regarded as a Grade A douchebag, who has also been recently accused of cheating by a former player.

In no way would I consider the Bears' search to be half-cocked if they avoided this guy.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You don’t consider Allen a superstar QB?
I don't consider that he was a superstar QB coming into Buffalo.

I think he has great talent, but you're dismissing the coach because his non All Pro QB is a "superstar".

For a superstar, his resume is thin, wouldn't you say? Seriously, in the NFL, how many QBs are considered "superstars", and what % of fans would you say consider Allen to be one at this point?

I love the guy, but you are greatly overdoing it in an effort to give all the credit to the player and none to the coach if you put him in "superstar" category. Hell, he's not better than Mahomes and Joe Burrow in his own conference, for starters.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
What do the following men have in common?

Vince Lombardi
Chuck Noll
John Madden
Bill Walsh
Hank Stram
Don Shula
Bill Belichik
Jimmy Johnson

"They all won Super Bowls?" Well, yes, that is correct.

Also - Not ONE of them ever won a single Super Bowl without a HOF QB.
And not one of them was ever an All Pro NFL player.

So, let's just accept the fact that coaches can be great and still need the talent on the field to be successful. The argument of "he only won because of X player" is pointless.

And let's dismiss the idea that they need to be great players themselves to get respect. The coaches on this list are among the most highly respected in the history of the game.

I am not delusional enough to think any NFL team will hire a coach who will be successful without great players. But I am not going to look at it as a criticism that they succeeded with great players.

It's no guarantee that an assistant coach who is coaching a great player today will be a great HC. But we need to give the coaches credit where it is due.

Switching sports it goes back to knuckleheads trying to dismiss Phil Jackson's coaching (I am looking directly at you Red Auerbach!) by saying "he had Michael and Scottie" and "he had Shaq and Kobe". In each case, he won multiple titles, and in each case his predecessor also had those players and won none. And, no, he wasn't going to win a title with a crappy roster.

The coach will need to have great players, but not every coach wins with them. Don't dismiss guys having success because of their personnel. See how they use that personnel in ways others might not.
Yes. See: Mike Ditka, one superbowl appearance with that team….

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Agree. I think Miami hires Daboll and I do think Flores to Texans is a lock and Deshaun Watson reemerges.

Oh well, hopefully our new GM makes a good hire.

You can't deny the Bears don't seem to have a plan in place and are waiting for the "ah ha" moment to hire someone, an epiphany, which may or may not happen.
This is ludicrous. What on earth makes this an accurate of fair comment?

"You can't deny the Bears don't seem to....."

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bears interview him, fine. If not, even better.

He's had a HC gig and an OC gig outside of Pats with Brady and failed miserably, and is widely regarded as a Grade A douchebag, who has also been recently accused of cheating by a former player.

In no way would I consider the Bears' search to be half-cocked if they avoided this guy.
Not half-cocked if they avoid a guy who shunned the Colts? Polian is obviously pushing all of his Colt/Bills connections. If Georgie allows Polian to hand feed him then the Bears are not doing their due-diligence. Polian is another dinosaur like Accorsi and George needs to expand his vision but likely won't.

Rise

Liked Posts:
If Flores is not all in on Fields he has to be a hard pass based on how he treated Tua. If he really is just in love with Watson then let them go do their thing in NY. The Giants could package those 2 1sts and get Watson probably.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Not half-cocked if they avoid a guy who shunned the Colts? Polian is obviously pushing all of his Colt/Bills connections. If Georgie allows Polian to hand feed him then the Bears are not doing their due-diligence. Polian is another dinosaur like Accorsi and George needs to expand his vision but likely won't.
The Bears' search does not become half-cocked by excluding any one candidate. What team is literally going to interview every potential person who could be hired?

But to suggest it is half-cocked to NOT interview a guy with major red flags just to prove to you that they're not basing the search on Polian's personal feelings is insane.

BTW, Polian was gone from the Colts ten years before McD interviewed.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
To me, it seems like Daboll has learned from his previous stints and they have made him a better coach over time. We need a guy at the top that will play to his players strengths, and will hire coordinators who will do the same.

Daboll appears to be a guy that will actually do it, rather than just say it…