***OFFICIAL*** Bears 2020 Training Camp thread

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thats....thats the point of the franchise tag. And yes, remy wants mitch to fail so we don't have to tag him.

You can tag him twice.

If he shows he's capable of playing like 2018 you keep that guy and hope he improves beyond that. It's a good problem to have.

That guy would be the best qb this franchise has ever seen. This franchise isn't in position to pick and choose at the qb position.

All this team needs is a mediocre QB in order to have a shot the next couple years. If not, the efforts of this defense is going to waste.

Meh, 2018 Mitch was not worthy of a franchise tag, sorry. Had he improved, then possibly. He did not, he regressed. Most of the arguments center on who might be a better level of mediocre, Foles or MT. In which case Foles is the better option, based on $$ alone.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Thats....thats the point of the franchise tag. And yes, remy wants mitch to fail so we don't have to tag him.

You can tag him twice.

If he shows he's capable of playing like 2018 you keep that guy and hope he improves beyond that.

That guy would be the best qb this franchise has ever seen. This franchise isn't in position to pick and choose at the qb position.

2018 was a good year for a 2nd year QB. His numbers looked decent because bum slayed against the Lions, Bucs, and Dolphins.

When he faces defense in the top half of the NFL he either looks like a game manager at best or completely inept and can’t move the ball.

You overrate his 2018 further proving my point that your a closet Mitch fan boy. That should be his floor or a mediocre year for a QB in his 4th year.

And you’re right, I need to change my moniker again.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Meh, 2018 Mitch was not worthy of a franchise tag, sorry. Had he improved, then possibly. He did not, he regressed. Most of the arguments center on who might be a better level of mediocre, Foles or MT. In which case Foles is the better option, based on $$ alone.

For a normal franchise, yes. For a franchise who 2018 mitch would qualify as the best QB they ever saw in the last century......yes...yes he is.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
For a normal franchise, yes. For a franchise who 2018 mitch would qualify as the best QB they ever saw in the last century......yes...yes he is.
You understand the Chicago Bears compete against other franchises right? Having the tallest midget out there doesn’t do the Bears any good when they could just keep trying to draft a franchise guy.

msadows

Liked Posts:

msadows

Liked Posts:
You understand the Chicago Bears compete against other franchises right? Having the tallest midget out there doesn’t do the Bears any good when they could just keep trying to draft a franchise guy.

You've been watching the bears for like 5 years.

You do realize that a mediocre qb would be the best qb the bears have ever had, right?

This is not a competition for the tallest midget, this is about winning a superbowl. 2018 mitch is more than good enough to get you into that category. You keep that guy on the franchise tag. You have a window of 3 years(thats including this year) MAX with this defense left, and thats being generous. The odds of any other qb being able to contribute enough to make a considerable difference in that time span who isn't named mitch trubisky are very low.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm no cap or tag guru, but a quick search says the franchise tag on a QB is $26,824,000 compared to $7M for Foles.

Unless Mitch balls out, he's not getting tagged because even if he plays his best he's not much of an improvement over Foles. Foles can mentor and play stop gap for 2021. You don't need to pay Mitch $26M for it.

Agreed. I think Foles has an opt out though after this year. So if he plays and plays well the Bears QB situation will be very interesting next offseason.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Agreed. I think Foles has an opt out though after this year. So if he plays and plays well the Bears QB situation will be very interesting next offseason.

He only has an opt out if we make the championship game with him i believe.

Doubtful it happens.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

You do realize that a mediocre qb would be the best qb the bears have ever had, right?

This is not a competition for the tallest midget, this is about winning a superbowl. 2018 mitch is more than good enough to get you into that category. You keep that guy on the franchise tag. You have a window of 3 years(thats including this year) MAX with this defense left, and thats being generous. The odds of any other qb being able to contribute enough to make a considerable difference in that time span who isn't named mitch trubisky are very low.
You’re assuming that being the best bears QB ever means anything to anybody. All that matters is how he stacks up against the other 31 QBs in the league and being in the bottom half of those 32 QBs (which he was in 2018) isn’t a great recipe for winning a SB.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

That is a completely false conclusion.

2018 Bears were constructed based on a QB making less than 10 mil a year, not 26.7 mil. You just cannot simply ignore that part of the equation. Had 2018 Mitch been making 26 mil, in all likelihood the Bears would not have had Mack.

So saying that if MT repeats 2018 would justify placing the FT on him is mind blowingly stupid.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I have no idea why the Bears would tag Mitch if he put up those numbers with Foles still under contract. Foles would have to have an Alex Smith type injury.
It has nothing to do with Foles being 'it.'

"It" will be the next QB we draft.

The point is, Foles will be under contract next year, and Mitch won't, so there's no reason to tag Mitch.
That is a half truth. Foles is set to earn Chase Daniel level money in 2021 a bit more in 2022. Catch is he can void the last 2 yrs if he reaches certain performance levels.
So either:
A) Foles plays significant time and at a level that allows him to void the 20210 and 2022 yrs on the contract. Imagine those are modest levels.
or
B) Foles turns out to be Chase Daniel and who wants that guy mentoring a new QB?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
No Foles being good is in best interest of the franchise because he is cheaper.
Wrong. If Foles plays well he will void the contract and be a free agent.