Official Breaking Bad Thread (Vol. Better Call Saul S5)

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Finally watched. Was super busy last week and wife was out of town so waited for her...

What a way for Nacho's run to end. Man, awesome character. I knew He wasn't Killing Bolsa, because Bolsa is in BB. What I took from it was that he wanted to make sure Hector knew it was him and wanted him to remember that forever. He also didn't want them to kill him, wanted to do it on his own. The moment he called his dad I figured it was about over. If he kills Bolsa, his father is toast.

This might just be the best show on television right now. Fuckin awesome.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Finally watched. Was super busy last week and wife was out of town so waited for her...

What a way for Nacho's run to end. Man, awesome character. I knew He wasn't Killing Bolsa, because Bolsa is in BB. What I took from it was that he wanted to make sure Hector knew it was him and wanted him to remember that forever. He also didn't want them to kill him, wanted to do it on his own. The moment he called his dad I figured it was about over. If he kills Bolsa, his father is toast.

This might just be the best show on television right now. Fuckin awesome.
Only show with no woke bullshit just one bad ass story to tell

Granada

Liked Posts:
I watched it again- didnt feel like I got Nachos motivation right, and I was wondering about the weapon and why he brought it.

He broke his drinking glass the night before to get the glass shard.
It certainly wasnt to escape, his dad would face retribution if he did.

He had no idea Mike would be there to take him out if things went sideways... mike mentioned that to fring after leaving the trailer.
It wasnt to kill Bolsa, because he had that opportunity.
My guess is insurance for 2 things.
1- to slit his wrists if he was handed to the cousins. He didnt trust Victor to get the job done. My guess is that he felt Fring would let things play out however they were going to and rely on Nacho's devotion to his father to keep quiet.
2- to do exactly what he did- make absolutely certain that Hector knew what he did.

The decision to not waste Bolsa was a great fuck you to fring. He held his word to Fring, but Fring for a moment saw a clear path to ruling the drug trade alone.
All it would have taken is an already dead man doing him that favor.
But, Nacho looked him in the eye and just wasted himself.

It was the right call. Based on Hectors rage, I have my doubts Bolsa would have let him off with an easy death, and Fring would really not be able to stop it without starting an internal war.

As for kim.... I cant wait to see the continuation of Saul and kims discussion over what he should do.
I think the friend of the cartel or rat statement was chosen to influence. (maybe kim wants him in that world, maybe she is scared of retribution).
Whichever way it goes, Saul trusts Kim and she never explained the advantages of coming clean nor presented it as a desired route.
The other thing that makes me think she doesnt want to do it is her discussion with the prosecutor.
She, instead of discussing the issue, corrected the prosecutors use of "Jimmy", and pointed out her treatment of him.

She seemed of the mindset that the prosecutor doesnt have a damn thing on saul and that the real issue was fucking her over for shitting on Saul.

Now- that is going to be a problem.
The prosecutor did not play all her cards. Jimmy using "Lalo" instead of deguzmann is going to come back to bite him.
It was a throwaway scene that has not been addressed, and it is a big fucking deal down the road.
The detective and the prosecutor both heard it, and you can bet your ass they will find more things to connect jimmy with.
There is still a bullet riddled car out there registered to Goodman, and possibly some cash floating around nearby- remember he wore a hole in the bag and lost some bills.
There might also be a bottle of piss to tie his dna with the money.

The law is coming for him.
Nacho got the broken glass from the garbage can in Fring's trailer/office. It was the same glass Fring accidentally broke the episode prior. Fring scooped the glass up in the dust pan and threw it away himself; and when Nacho was left alone, he discovered it and somehow smuggled it out. Yeah, I think he was planning on slitting his wrists or hell, even jamming it in his jugular if things got really bad -- would have been preferable to being tortured by the lunatic twins and/or the rest of the cartel. He knew no matter what, he was a dead man and that there was no escape.

Like you said, the interesting thing about Kim is she doesn't know about Saul's fuck-up in essentially admitting he knows Lalo's real identity to the state. If she knew that, she probably would be less bold to say the least.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
With all these rumors about BCS spin-offs, I'd be pretty shocked if Nacho doesn't get one. Just seems like a character everybody loves and that actor does a fantastic job.

I'd be in for a mini series on Nacho. I'd even take 2 seasons if it was short.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So Walt and Jesse confirmed in an upcoming episode. Going to be a flash forward I bet.

Granada

Liked Posts:
So I was wondering when the first "meh" episode would be, and I'd say it was last night. I'm not necessarily complaining -- I know, I know, it's probably setting up something -- but just stating the obvious. This was a hilarious episode to me. Not really a spoiler, but the whole parking cone thing cracked me up: "who moves a cone?!" I get the feeling Kim is starting to realize how deep she's getting and is starting to freak out; at least, that's what I took from the episode anyway. And Saul is pretty much the Saul in BB now.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So Walt and Jesse confirmed in an upcoming episode. Going to be a flash forward I bet.

The timeline on better call saul has to be getting right up the time where Walt and Jesse kidnap him.

It will happen pretty much the minute he gets his office done but before lalo dies... and Lalo must outlive tuco.

From BB, saul has the office when he represents badger.
He meets walt in the office.
Badger isn't in play until Tuco dies.

Walt and Jesse kidnap him and take him to the dessert.

Saul is shitting himself, says "it wasn't me it was Ignacio (nacho)."
Then in Spanish says he has always been a friend to the cartel.(phrasing is interesting. That is how Lalo put it and that is how Kim put it...friend to the cartel.)
Jesse tells him to speak English, and saul says "Lalo didn't send you?"

At which point he gets his composure back.

I would guess Mike and saul will know when Lalo is actually dead.. so Lalo must still be in play when Walt meets saul.

...now that I am talking it out and thinking timelines, I wonder if the Salamanca will mistakenly assume Tucos death was at the hands of fring or facilitated by saul in some way... for the original mention of the players to make sense, Tuco must die before Lalo.

As for other BB characters- it was funny seeing Wendy and then getting a glimpse of Splooge before heroin and meth wiped him out.
He was the bald dude in the salon who eventually gets his head crushed by the ATM.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Nacho got the broken glass from the garbage can in Fring's trailer/office. It was the same glass Fring accidentally broke the episode prior. Fring scooped the glass up in the dust pan and threw it away himself; and when Nacho was left alone, he discovered it and somehow smuggled it out. Yeah, I think he was planning on slitting his wrists or hell, even jamming it in his jugular if things got really bad -- would have been preferable to being tortured by the lunatic twins and/or the rest of the cartel. He knew no matter what, he was a dead man and that there was no escape.

Like you said, the interesting thing about Kim is she doesn't know about Saul's fuck-up in essentially admitting he knows Lalo's real identity to the state. If she knew that, she probably would be less bold to say the least.

Good catch on the glass an episode prior-
I rewatched the episode where he dies and just figured he came up with the idea when they showed him looking at his reflection in the water glass- that he smashed that one.

Your catch makes more sense.... an i actually mentioned fring dropping the glass as symbolic a couple pages back and whiffed on it when it became relevant!

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The timeline on better call saul has to be getting right up the time where Walt and Jesse kidnap him.

It will happen pretty much the minute he gets his office done but before lalo dies... and Lalo must outlive tuco.

From BB, saul has the office when he represents badger.
He meets walt in the office.
Badger isn't in play until Tuco dies.

Walt and Jesse kidnap him and take him to the dessert.

Saul is shitting himself, says "it wasn't me it was Ignacio (nacho)."
Then in Spanish says he has always been a friend to the cartel.(phrasing is interesting. That is how Lalo put it and that is how Kim put it...friend to the cartel.)
Jesse tells him to speak English, and saul says "Lalo didn't send you?"

At which point he gets his composure back.

I would guess Mike and saul will know when Lalo is actually dead.. so Lalo must still be in play when Walt meets saul.

...now that I am talking it out and thinking timelines, I wonder if the Salamanca will mistakenly assume Tucos death was at the hands of fring or facilitated by saul in some way... for the original mention of the players to make sense, Tuco must die before Lalo.

As for other BB characters- it was funny seeing Wendy and then getting a glimpse of Splooge before heroin and meth wiped him out.
He was the bald dude in the salon who eventually gets his head crushed by the ATM.
I think right now where we are at is 3-4 years before BB starts. Season 5 of BCS is 2004. BB starts with the Meth in 2008.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think right now where we are at is 3-4 years before BB starts. Season 5 of BCS is 2004. BB starts with the Meth in 2008.

That is what the fandom site says, and they have tons of time stamps to base it on... but they are going to have to find a way to reconcile that.

It is saying the kidnapping of Saul in BB happens in winter of 08... the compound scene where Lalo was supposed to die is set in mid 2004.

They are going to have to come up with a pretty inventive way to have Goodman be scared of Lalo and Blaming Nacho IMMEDIATELY when he finds himself in danger without hesitation 4 long years after nacho dies.

I cant imagine Goodman runs afoul of ANOTHER Lalo seeking to kill him for something ANOTHER Nacho did.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Finally saw episode 1 and 2 last night. I guess I should stop reading this thread (spoilers).

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I just watched a Bob Odenkirk move named "Nobody"...I highly recommend it.

I had been meaning to catch it but have not yet.

I was told it was John Wick-ish...yes?

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not a ton of action this week, but there was a ton of set up.

The saul and Howard fight was funny. Still can't get a read on Howard's whole deal. He has handled saul with kid gloves... treated him far better once his brother died.
Is there something Howard owes him from Charles that he is trying to keep quiet?

The private eye that Howard put on saul after the fight is fucked. Saul already has mikes guys following him and they will see the p.i.
Will they kill him? Beat him for answers? Does Charles find out saul has protection? How does Howard use that if he does?
It is an interesting wrinkle.

Lalo- i Googled the inscription on the plaque.
"With love, your boys".
Margarite referred to "his boys".
Lalo flipped it over, found the maker, (they made a point to show him apply the sticker) and Lalo will get the names of who ordered it.
Lalo will find out what they were building and where.

As for Fring... he is sure that someone will access the lab through the tunnel they dug from a secondary location to get machinery in and out.

The set up of unlocking the power cord (to i assume the lights) so it can be pulled apart with a yank is interesting, and of course the gun he planted for whatever showdown he expects are gonna be interesting.

Fring is one crafty, heads up son of a bitch. Like an evil batman,accounting for all possibilities.

I wonder if Mike and gus will jave a falling out over leaving the construction dudes alive...as well as werner's wife. That is coming back to haunt them.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Not a ton of action this week, but there was a ton of set up.

The saul and Howard fight was funny. Still can't get a read on Howard's whole deal. He has handled saul with kid gloves... treated him far better once his brother died.
Is there something Howard owes him from Charles that he is trying to keep quiet?

The private eye that Howard put on saul after the fight is fucked. Saul already has mikes guys following him and they will see the p.i.
Will they kill him? Beat him for answers? Does Charles find out saul has protection? How does Howard use that if he does?
It is an interesting wrinkle.

Lalo- i Googled the inscription on the plaque.
"With love, your boys".
Margarite referred to "his boys".
Lalo flipped it over, found the maker, (they made a point to show him apply the sticker) and Lalo will get the names of who ordered it.
Lalo will find out what they were building and where.

As for Fring... he is sure that someone will access the lab through the tunnel they dug from a secondary location to get machinery in and out.

The set up of unlocking the power cord (to i assume the lights) so it can be pulled apart with a yank is interesting, and of course the gun he planted for whatever showdown he expects are gonna be interesting.

Fring is one crafty, heads up son of a bitch. Like an evil batman,accounting for all possibilities.

I wonder if Mike and gus will jave a falling out over leaving the construction dudes alive...as well as werner's wife. That is coming back to haunt them.
Nice observations, like usual. I am wondering if the boxing match was a trap by Howard, or a misstep that Jimmy will now capitalize on somehow (does he accuse Howard of assault now? May be far-fetched, but maybe he bribes the one witness that was there?). I was pretty bored with the whole Howard angle, but now it's beginning to get fun because you don't know who has the upper hand just yet and/or who is making missteps.

I'm not sure how I feel about Gus hiding the gun in the future lab. At first I was a bit annoyed by it -- seemed way too convenient, from a writing standpoint. Then again, the writers have always gone out of their way (including in this episode) to paint Gus as a meticulous son of a gun, so perhaps it isn't that far fetched to assume he'd stash a gun there on a whim. Maybe now, Gus will somehow lead Lalo to the lab, unbeknownst to Lalo. Gus knows that he needs to get the upper hand before Lalo does; what better way to do that than to lead Lalo to the trap himself?

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Nice observations, like usual. I am wondering if the boxing match was a trap by Howard, or a misstep that Jimmy will now capitalize on somehow (does he accuse Howard of assault now? May be far-fetched, but maybe he bribes the one witness that was there?). I was pretty bored with the whole Howard angle, but now it's beginning to get fun because you don't know who has the upper hand just yet and/or who is making missteps.

I'm not sure how I feel about Gus hiding the gun in the future lab. At first I was a bit annoyed by it -- seemed way too convenient, from a writing standpoint. Then again, the writers have always gone out of their way (including in this episode) to paint Gus as a meticulous son of a gun, so perhaps it isn't that far fetched to assume he'd stash a gun there on a whim. Maybe now, Gus will somehow lead Lalo to the lab, unbeknownst to Lalo. Gus knows that he needs to get the upper hand before Lalo does; what better way to do that than to lead Lalo to the trap himself?
As for Howard.. you are right- Howard was a vanilla stick up his ass self righteous rich boy for most of the run... a side character I didnt much care about and thought would eventually fade out.
But there is some shit going down with him eventually. he is all of a sudden a huge wildcard.
I know they were struggling for cash when Charles wanted to leave- they mentioned it decimating the firm and Howard putting it out from his own pocket.
I am half ass wondering if Jimmies share of the sandpiper settlement is really weighing on Howards mind as a big obstacle.
Or maybe, just maybe, Howard was trying to be the nice guy- hoping the fight would be cathartic.

For a while I thought Howards role would be as simple as shutting Jimmy out of "classy litigation" and relegating him to the ambulance chaser he became, but howard seems to be standing on thin ice sticking his nose in to Jimmies life.
I wonder if Lalo will shadow the guys shadowing saul and kim and find Howards P.I. in the process, leading Lalo to take out Howard because he "knows too much".

Whatever it is, they are setting up a huge interconnected web where anyone and everyone can collide at multiple points, and they have done a great job of keeping us guessing.
Lalo, saul, Mike, Fring, the state prosecutor, the detective following up on the western union guys murder... they can all collide at any second orbiting Saul.

As for Fring and the gun-
Here is what my guess is.
Fring is convinced Lalo is alive. Fring knows there are loose ends. The 2 that stick out in his head are the construction guys and the tunnel.
The tunnel has to come up somewhere. Wherever that is, there are also loose ends on the other side- building owner, workers, delivery people.

Fring is creating a failsafe. IF lalo finds out.... IF lalo somehow gets the jump on his protection, IF lalo somehow gets a gun to Frings head, The secret lab is the final bargaining chip.
He tells Lalo what it is(or lalo knows and wants to see). Lalo of course will see what kind of money that means. Perhaps he offers Lalo a partnership. Fring also has a pet Meth cook in Gale Bedecker. a turn key operation.
At that point, Fring can waste Lalo when they go there.

Lalo is as smart and crafty as they come... I bet Fring knows his curiosity is so great that there is zero chance Lalo kills him out of the blue before finding out what Frings plan is.
I think he know that he can exploit that and get Lalo down there if all his other planning fails, Because Lalo is a money hungry, power hungry fiend Just like Hector but smarter.
The bait of a turn key well guarded meth lab under his control will be too tempting to pass up, and Fring is his only path to getting his hands on it.

Last edited:

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kim is full heel now. Incredible

Granada

Liked Posts:
Kim is full heel now. Incredible
Yup, last night's episode really solidified that angle. Fantastic episode directed by Giancarlo Esposito (Fring). At the end when she turns the car around, I couldn't help but think -- why the hell is getting "even" with Howard so damn important? I mean she's really throwing her life and now her dream away for it, it just seems so stupid.

Oh, and loved the cameo from the Mr. Show with Bob and David actor (name eludes me now).

Last edited: