Official Breaking Bad Thread (Vol. Better Call Saul S5)

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
a born survivor, like the Cucaracha.

What I am dying to know is how he put Saul and Fring together.

I mean, he was pretty uneasy about the car Saul left in the dessert, and the story didnt wash in his opinion.
But, what led him there?

We know frings motivation to get Lalo out of the states, Did Lalo follow the logic and reach the same conclusion Fring did, or did he catch something else?

I cant say enough about how much I enjoy the storytelling on this show. They leave big gaudy hints about some things, little subtle hints about others, and hit you out of the blue on others.

Although......
The title tells you someone is getting executed... plan and execution.

the precedent i "747 down over abq" worked in bit by bit over the season leading up to the plane crash in breaking bad.

I sure as fuck hope Vince Gilligan keeps working after Saul. As it stands I will give anything by him a shot.
Bob also accidentally spoiled it months ago with a tweet of him and Howard's character together and you could see the fake gunshot through his head

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The cockroach he saw in the sewer reminded him of Saul. Remember when he was talking to Kim and he said Saul is like a cockroach, he will be alright?
Couldn’t stop laughing when he said that. I say that about allot of people I know lol

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why did Lalo show up at Sauls place?

He has hit a dead end with trying to prove Fring is going behind everyone's back and go into business for himself rather than just be the Don's delivery boy. The roach gets him to remember about the shady lawyer that clearly lied to him about the drop in the desert and his pretty wife.

What the hell did Lalo figure out?

That you can sure get a lot of info out of man if you use his pretty wife's well being as collateral?

We know he was working with fring.

We know he was part of it.

Lalo had to have figured Saul is part of it,

Seems like a Hail Mary on his part to avoid just going into the laundry guns blazing, but we know he just nailed it.

I fear for Kim.

@airtime143

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No spoilers in this post, just looking at the past with a new lens.
I think Lalo finally put a couple things together.
Mike swooping in to vision immediately after the call out of nowhere, and giving direction.
Mike shaking Lalo tailing him with ease last season.
Mike being present at the fake construction site when Lalo and Mike first meet.
Undoubtedly hearing casper- the German dude- spill his guts about mikes role.

Lalo knows Mike is frings right hand, yet he never appears for drug business. Mike handles logistics and enforcement, and runs every piece.

Then, the 2 day gap when delivering the money. The shot up car. Saul being nervous as hell.
It taking far longer to get out of there than you would expect on an as the crow flies route.

He knows something went down and he suspects saul couldn't do it alone.

I think he finally realized someone moved mountains to get the bail money there, because him fleeing the country was integral to the assassination attempt.

He knows nacho was in on the assassination, he knows saul was his lawyer, and he knows nacho didn't go to the desert to help.

I think he realized Mike was sent to the desert to make sure the money arrived, that saul wouldn't run off or get robbed, so Lalo would flee and be in a good place to be killed.

I think Lalo is viewing saul as a path to mike.

Last edited:

Granada

Liked Posts:
@Granada where you at? You catch it yet?
Finally watched it yesterday man, good stuff! You guys pretty much covered all I was going to say about it already in the thread. I really liked when Lalo realized the phone was bugged, then he pretended to not know about the lab ("I can't find proof, so I'm going to Plan A").

I'm still a tad disappointed on the Howard thing, but I'm glad the creators essentially addressed it head-on. Howard, in that scene, is asking what I've been asking: why would any logical person go through all this trouble? If I have one criticism of the show, it's the fact that, they never really gave a convincing answer to this question. Howard even asks, "is it because I sided with your brother too many times? Because I was mean to you at work (paraphrasing)? Because I offered you a job later?" And then he gives the conclusion, "well, I guess you're just made for each other." I mean, I guess that's somewhat of an answer, but I sort of wish the creators fleshed out a more believable reason why they'd do this.

That said, it was great writing to actually kill Howard at their apartment. How the hell will Kim and Saul ever explain that to the police? Kim is really in it now, this isn't just some little game anymore. I feel like, if she does survive in the end, this is the moment where she finally sees the light (perhaps symbolized by the candlelight that flickers when Howard and Lalo enter?) and leaves Saul for good. Notice that the candle never completely blows out, even after Lalo enters. Does that symbolize that she survives in the end?

Did the cockroach symbolize that Lalo knows Saul's story in the desert is false; or does it simply symbolize that Lalo has an ace in the hole to use?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Howard, in that scene, is asking what I've been asking: why would any logical person go through all this trouble? If I have one criticism of the show, it's the fact that, they never really gave a convincing answer to this question.

I am going with Jimmy always resenting Howard for having more of Chuck's respect and admiration than Jimmy would ever see, despite working harder at getting it than anything else he had ever done in his life. That powder keg blew when Howard tries to blame himself for Chuck's death because of course Howard had to out greive Jimmy as well.

Kim only got in on it chasing that same high she used to get shoplifting as a teen because I imagine that was the only real reason for showing that flashback.

Did the cockroach symbolize that Lalo knows Saul's story in the desert is false; or does it simply symbolize that Lalo has an ace in the hole to use?

Lalo literally calls Saul a cockroach. Seeing it I think triggers the thought "What about that shady lawyer that is obviously lying about the drop?" and starts connecting some dots in his head.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Finally watched it yesterday man, good stuff! You guys pretty much covered all I was going to say about it already in the thread. I really liked when Lalo realized the phone was bugged, then he pretended to not know about the lab ("I can't find proof, so I'm going to Plan A").

I'm still a tad disappointed on the Howard thing, but I'm glad the creators essentially addressed it head-on. Howard, in that scene, is asking what I've been asking: why would any logical person go through all this trouble? If I have one criticism of the show, it's the fact that, they never really gave a convincing answer to this question. Howard even asks, "is it because I sided with your brother too many times? Because I was mean to you at work (paraphrasing)? Because I offered you a job later?" And then he gives the conclusion, "well, I guess you're just made for each other." I mean, I guess that's somewhat of an answer, but I sort of wish the creators fleshed out a more believable reason why they'd do this.

That said, it was great writing to actually kill Howard at their apartment. How the hell will Kim and Saul ever explain that to the police? Kim is really in it now, this isn't just some little game anymore. I feel like, if she does survive in the end, this is the moment where she finally sees the light (perhaps symbolized by the candlelight that flickers when Howard and Lalo enter?) and leaves Saul for good. Notice that the candle never completely blows out, even after Lalo enters. Does that symbolize that she survives in the end?

I wanted to believe kim had some sort of grudge against howard, something we didnt know about as of yet.... but it appears not. It appears ki is just self centered.
We can see Sauls reason for taking Howard down... His brother, the denial of a position at the firm, the non stop judgement of who Saul is as a person, even before they butted heads- His degree wasnt good enough, he wasnt good enough. Plus, the sandpiper affair.

For kim, it may be far more simple and selfish than we want it to be... She wants to be a winner. A poor kid with a bad family beating the snot out of a second generation rich lawyer who treated her as a peon many times.
I dont like that, it lessens kim in my eyes, especially going about it with illegal means, but it is something a real life person could absolutely do.
Hell- maybe she was so jealous of the easy path howard had that it was nothing more than taking him down a peg for petty satisfaction.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I think often times us males get fooled by women being so innocent when she just ended up being this grimy ass bitch playing the innocent gf to a scum bag. They are actually made for each other two scum bags. I’m just on the edge of my seat what happens to her that she isn’t part of the breaking bad saga. I can’t see her getting killed cause Saul was living guilt free through breaking bad. Fuck why do we have to wait until July lol

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I love how they are piecing things together. Like the episode prior, we see Howard's wife for the first time and she pours his expensive coffee into a regular cup and is standoffish with him. I wondered why.....

Now we know as he spilled it all out.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think often times us males get fooled by women being so innocent when she just ended up being this grimy ass bitch playing the innocent gf to a scum bag. They are actually made for each other two scum bags. I’m just on the edge of my seat what happens to her that she isn’t part of the breaking bad saga. I can’t see her getting killed cause Saul was living guilt free through breaking bad. Fuck why do we have to wait until July lol

The crazy part about her going off the rails like this is that although completely unexpected, when you look back at her over the years, she is so fucking reserved with her emotions it is entirely plausible she was keeping them in check because she is just a terrible person.

She played to me like a woman being 100% business and busting her ass and not letting emotions get in the way of her career.
But, it absolutely could be a mask for something else entirely.

The character portrayal is retroactively amazingly open ended.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The crazy part about her going off the rails like this is that although completely unexpected, when you look back at her over the years, she is so fucking reserved with her emotions it is entirely plausible she was keeping them in check because she is just a terrible person.

She played to me like a woman being 100% business and busting her ass and not letting emotions get in the way of her career.
But, it absolutely could be a mask for something else entirely.

The character portrayal is retroactively amazingly open ended.
She is living two different lives I was completely fooled!

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just finished season 1 of Breaking Bad. I like it so far but there are quite a few things that don't add up or make sense. Hopefully some will get explained further in.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
What doesn’t make sense? Been awhile since I’ve seen season 1. Been thinking of rewatching it as my cardio show when I’m done with Seinfeld

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What doesn’t make sense? Been awhile since I’ve seen season 1. Been thinking of rewatching it as my cardio show when I’m done with Seinfeld

Here's a couple:
When the jewelry store employee catches Skyler returning the tiara, he says it was a tall blonde that walked out with it. But Marie is short and not blonde.
When Walter throws the fake meth on the floor in Duco's office, it's blows up strong enough to blow a.c. units right out the windows. Yet no one inside gets hurt.
When Jesse gets in a fight with his friend in the RV, they break many of the flasks and beakers. But then Walter and Jesse start making meth again in the basement, they still have enough glassware to make 4 pound batches.

I konw it's a fictional TV show, but still... And it's strange that there are only 7 episodes in season 1.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Sounds more like little things

As for episodes the creator wasn’t a Hollywood whore. Specifically stated he wanted no filler just to tell the best story possible. We see it with many shows that drag on for more seasons than what it’s worth and quality nose dives

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Here's a couple:
When the jewelry store employee catches Skyler returning the tiara, he says it was a tall blonde that walked out with it. But Marie is short and not blonde.
When Walter throws the fake meth on the floor in Duco's office, it's blows up strong enough to blow a.c. units right out the windows. Yet no one inside gets hurt.
When Jesse gets in a fight with his friend in the RV, they break many of the flasks and beakers. But then Walter and Jesse start making meth again in the basement, they still have enough glassware to make 4 pound batches.

I konw it's a fictional TV show, but still... And it's strange that there are only 7 episodes in season 1.

The fulminated mercury scene was crappy.. there is no saving that one.
Mythbusters took that one down in about 20 different ways.
They also took down the bathtub scene.

The tiara- my guess was the manager was bluffing and strong arming her- straight up bs... nobody saw shit. trying to scare her in to confessing. Beyond the differences you pointed out, there is a matter of the big ol belly.
At the end of the day, I think it was his poor attempt to get something to arrest her on.

As for the glassware- look back to when Walter liberated it from school. There was plenty to spare.

It really does seem that after season one, they made a Supreme effort to keep things realistic.
I forgave the first season flaws as Hollywood flash to draw people in, and things tightened up after that.

... Mythbusters did a whole show dedicated to breaking bad. Dont watch it before you finish the series, because it takes on some key scenes.
You will be able to pick out what they tested from the final episode once you watch it, and shockingly it worked even better than it did on the show.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The fulminated mercury scene was crappy.. there is no saving that one.
Mythbusters took that one down in about 20 different ways.
They also took down the bathtub scene.

The tiara- my guess was the manager was bluffing and strong arming her- straight up bs... nobody saw shit. trying to scare her in to confessing. Beyond the differences you pointed out, there is a matter of the big ol belly.
At the end of the day, I think it was his poor attempt to get something to arrest her on.

As for the glassware- look back to when Walter liberated it from school. There was plenty to spare.

It really does seem that after season one, they made a Supreme effort to keep things realistic.
I forgave the first season flaws as Hollywood flash to draw people in, and things tightened up after that.

... Mythbusters did a whole show dedicated to breaking bad. Dont watch it before you finish the series, because it takes on some key scenes.
You will be able to pick out what they tested from the final episode once you watch it, and shockingly it worked even better than it did on the show.

Good info. Thanks.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Just finished season 1 of Breaking Bad. I like it so far but there are quite a few things that don't add up or make sense. Hopefully some will get explained further in.
People dog Season 1, but I loved it, especially the first two episodes. I was so against starting this show -- I started it way late (want to say 4-5 years ago); so many people were telling me to watch it for so long, that it almost turned me off in a way; plus the episodes are an hour and there are 7 seasons, it just seemed so daunting. But the first episode absolutely hooked me and I was in ever since.

One of my favorite moments in episode 1 is when Jesse is introduced. I don't know why, I just love everything about that scene; how Walt is on the ride-along, etc. Plus the song that's being played is one by Rodrigo y Gabriela, which is by far the best acoustic duo I ever heard in my life; and the song just fits that scene so damn perfectly. They can literally make 2 acoustic guitars sound like an entire band.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
People dog Season 1, but I loved it, especially the first two episodes. I was so against starting this show -- I started it way late (want to say 4-5 years ago); so many people were telling me to watch it for so long, that it almost turned me off in a way; plus the episodes are an hour and there are 7 seasons, it just seemed so daunting. But the first episode absolutely hooked me and I was in ever since.

One of my favorite moments in episode 1 is when Jesse is introduced. I don't know why, I just love everything about that scene; how Walt is on the ride-along, etc. Plus the song that's being played is one by Rodrigo y Gabriela, which is by far the best acoustic duo I ever heard in my life; and the song just fits that scene so damn perfectly. They can literally make 2 acoustic guitars sound like an entire band.

I did the same thing- started watching it after the show concluded, which was very satisfying- never had to wait.

It kept on showing up in my netflix recommendations and I was FINE! I WILL WATCH THE GODDAMN SHOW JUST TO SHUT YOU UP!!

Granada

Liked Posts:
I'm kinda bummed they had to recast this guy, I thought he did a great job.