Official Breaking Bad Thread (Vol. Better Call Saul S5)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I have watched Better Call Saul from the start and really like it. I am a huge Breaking Bad fan. I think it's as good a series as I have ever watched. And Better Call Saul is very good in my book. The only series I watch on "regular TV", so I set my alarm on Monday evenings to not lose track of time and miss it.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
What a fucking crazy episode that was!

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Best two episodes of the season last week and last night. Holy hell. Season finale next week.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
It’s rare for a show to keep getting better. It was a slow drag the first two seasons happy I didn’t eject. Problem is It sucked so much in the beginning allot of people push eject on my recommendation to watch it lol

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Mike, Gus, Nacho and Lalo make the show compelling.
Just keeps getting better.

The big unknowns for me that make it worth watching religiously is what happens to nacho and what happens to Kim.
We never hear a peep about kim in breaking bad, and we only hear Nacho's name once and never see him.

Does kim die? Does Gus do it? Does she take off and eventually show up in the "today" version of Sauls life?

I can see it go either way- Gus kills her and scares the shit out of saul, keeping him toeing the line.
Or, Saul agrees to toe the line if they let Kim take off.

Tuco is 11 months away from freedom... It will be fun to see him back.

...on a side note.. I keep scanning the parking lots and streets for Jesse and Walters cars. Seems like something Vince Gilligan would do... just a little easter egg for people to speculate over.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
It’s rare for a show to keep getting better. It was a slow drag the first two seasons happy I didn’t eject. Problem is It sucked so much in the beginning allot of people push eject on my recommendation to watch it lol

The first season was sooooo sloooooow. I hung in there because I liked breaking bad and I like seeing all the scenes from all over Albuquerque.

I have liked this show better and better each season.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The first season was sooooo sloooooow. I hung in there because I liked breaking bad and I like seeing all the scenes from all over Albuquerque.

I have liked this show better and better each season.

Last 2 episodes have been amazing. I can't wait for the season finale.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Dude that finale was nuts! I hate having to wait another year

I was hoping to see Nacho pop lalo... One of em are dead cuz Lalo knows it was him.

Kim has flown off the rails... There was Saul trying to keep her clean, and she wants to go dirty!

I thought it was interesting that Howard knows it was saul that hit is car and whatnot but still was reaching out to him... I wonder if it is related to the sandpiper payout... Is he trying to save money or is he a good guy?

I really like the story telling. always new twists and new levels. Really looking forward to seeing where it goes.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One week until Season 6....

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What a season premiere yesterday. Best show on TV.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What a season premiere yesterday. Best show on TV.
I was hoping to hear good things. It is on my dvr but have not watched yet.

Vince Gilligan did such a spectacular job wrapping up breaking bad over a fairly short span, I am hoping he ties the ends off neatly here as well.

Personally I am rooting for Nacho to escape.

My guess is Kim gets disbarred and disappears in disgrace.... but I would laugh my ass off if her departure was hooking up with Hamlin.

We will probably see Tuco come back.

One last bit that I would love to see is just a little more info on what the fuck Fring was and did in Chile.
I read Gilligan "has stated that he purposely left Gus's origins ambiguous, comparing them to the briefcase in pulp fiction".
They never go in to anything but generalities when it is mentioned, but from what they say he seems pretty awful in those days.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Maybe I was just tired from work and it's hard to remember exact details with shows like this, that go an eternity between seasons, but I was confused about a few things last night:

SPOILERS:

What was with that shuttlecock (or whatever it was) thing that fell out of the cabinet when the repo men were removing furniture from Saul's house? Looks familiar, obviously it's significant, but I can't remember why now.

Who was Nacho talking to on the phone when he was on the run, was it Mike or was it that other more-evil henchman? For whatever reason, I couldn't tell.

So did Lalo actually kill that nice couple (woman who gave him coffee and the dude who he made shave) with the scissors, and if so, why?

Why did Mike replace the contents of Nacho's safe with essentially the same items he took out? Maybe this gets answered next episode.

How did Nacho know that the guy who was watching him at the motel had sinister motives? I mean, he could have been hired simply to ensure no one attacked Nacho, right? Like, maybe he was a Mike guy?

Anyways, decent opener, glad there's something to watch now. The whole Howard angle is kind of stupid, but it'll probably serve a purpose.

EDIT_ just realized, he did kill that couple because that's how he faked his death and that's why he made that dude shave. Duh.

Last edited:

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
While there was the huge production gap and I was waiting for season 5 to show up on netflix, I watched breaking bad again and paid a little more attention to Saul.

There wasnt a whole lot of Saul backstory in Breaking bad, but 1 thing really stood out- Aside from the time Walt pretended to be Badgers uncle, Jesse and Walt had no interaction with Saul until they kidnap him and take him out to the grave in the desert.

As he is kneeling there not knowing what it is about, He mentions Lalo and Ignacio (nacho) in his gibberish.

So- there should be some overlap.
If Saul is concerned about "Lalo and Ignacio" as Walt and Jesse take him to the desert, they are still active or at least VERY recently dead.
What happened before that point on breaking bad was Tuco getting wasted by walt and Jesse.

I kind of think that if Walt and Jesse make cameos, it might be Lalo hunting them for killing Tuco, and Nacho or Mike wasting Lalo before Jesse and Walt even are aware they are being hunted.
That might be why mike was so attuned to Tucos cousins coming for walt- he was well aware the Salamancas were on to him.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe I was just tired from work and it's hard to remember exact details with shows like this, that go an eternity between seasons, but I was confused about a few things last night:

SPOILERS:

What was with that shuttlecock (or whatever it was) thing that fell out of the cabinet when the repo men were removing furniture from Saul's house? Looks familiar, obviously it's significant, but I can't remember why now.
It was something akin to a bottle stopper that belonged to Kim
Who was Nacho talking to on the phone when he was on the run, was it Mike or was it that other more-evil henchman? For whatever reason, I couldn't tell.
He was talking to the black guy (Tyrus?) that works for Gus Fring

So did Lalo actually kill that nice couple (woman who gave him coffee and the dude who he made shave) with the scissors, and if so, why?
Yes, he killed them because the husband was a lalo look alike, and it suggested his body was planted at the shooting scene to make people think Lalo was killed.

Why did Mike replace the contents of Nacho's safe with essentially the same items he took out? Maybe this gets answered next episode.
He added a letter with nachos hiding spot in it

How did Nacho know that the guy who was watching him at the motel had sinister motives? I mean, he could have been hired simply to ensure no one attacked Nacho, right? Like, maybe he was a Mike guy?
He knew the minute that he hung up with Tryus and the watchers phone rang that the guy was working for Gus to watch nacho and get a fix on him. He knew that Gus wanted him dead.

Anyways, decent opener, glad there's something to watch now. The whole Howard angle is kind of stupid, but it'll probably serve a purpose.

EDIT_ just realized, he did kill that couple because that's how he faked his death and that's why he made that dude shave. Duh.

What didn't make sense to me was the opening scene where movers were stripping Sauls house from Breaking Bad..It didn't seem to fit in that episode..Maybe it will be clarified later

Last edited:

Granada

Liked Posts:
It was something akin to a bottle stopper that belonged to Kim

He was talking to the black guy (Tyrus?) that works for Gus Fring

Yes, he killed them because the husband was a lalo look alike, and it suggested his body was planted at the shooting scene to make people think Lalo was killed.

He added a letter with nachos hiding spot in it

He knew the minute that he hung up with Tryus and the watchers phone rang that the guy was working for Gus to watch nacho and get a fix on him. He knew that Gus wanted him dead.

What didn't make sense to me was the opening scene where movers were stripping Sauls house from Breaking Bad..It didn't seem to fit in that episode..Maybe it will be clarified later
Okay, thanks. Yeah figured it was Tyrus but wasn't 100% sure, makes sense. Seems like there was a lot of shit packed in this episode(s), guess I wasn't as "tuned in" as I needed to be. I didn't like how it jumped around so much.

That opening scene would normally be black and white, but since it's the last season, it kind of makes sense that it's color because it symbolizes that we will be caught up to speed with Saul's story/outcome just before (or perhaps a bit of an overlap) Breaking Bad.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Okay, thanks. Yeah figured it was Tyrus but wasn't 100% sure, makes sense. Seems like there was a lot of shit packed in this episode(s), guess I wasn't as "tuned in" as I needed to be. I didn't like how it jumped around so much.

That opening scene would normally be black and white, but since it's the last season, it kind of makes sense that it's color because it symbolizes that we will be caught up to speed with Saul's story/outcome just before (or perhaps a bit of an overlap) Breaking Bad.
Spoilers...finally watched it.

Watched it and it was awesome.

On the couple... Lalo is a very smart, very evil dude.

Like all the bosses he takes care of locals...but this guy was specifically farmed to be his corpse, and it was planned well in advance.

He asked the wife "how are his teeth?"
Wife thanks him for setting him up with the dentist.
.... Lalo had his dentist make the doubles teeth pass for lalo- when fring is looking at the evidence, there is mention of "dental records matching".

That stopper that fell out in the beginning was like Boomer said a bottle stopper from a shared bottle (the same liquor fring used to poison don eladio in BB)... and it was the 1 single item Kim took with her when she quit her law firm. She went back for it.

The cleanup is post breaking bad, so the stopper being left behind and dropped in the gutter is a poetic way of showing Saul's life fell in the gutter.

The Gus/Mike showdown ought to be good, and I bet Mike wins.
Gus always moves in a precise and efficient fashion. Everything perfect.
The broken glass indicates he is losing control.

Mike locks the door in a precise fashion and took control. It will go his way.

All in all an almost perfect episode. They used great cinematography to advance the story.

....one sole complaint. The motel shootout.
They tried to hard to make it suspenseful and the brothers looked inept. They should have caught nacho in the truck.

...who knows, maybe the brothers are fucked in the head from their loss. The lady they covered...their mom? Aunt? Grandma? Nanny? Whoever she was, they loved her.