Official CCS Grillmasters thread

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm about to make some pork chops. Thick cut (probably 1.5"), bone in. Two zone heat over charcoal, sear, and I'll let them come up to about 150 on the cool side before letting them rest. Probably throw a chunk of oak or hickory in there to amp up the smoke.

Making a red potato salad on the side - dill, shaved parm, garlic, butter, olive oil, salt and pepper.

And then some broccoli as well.

Seasoning wise for the chops, keeping it simple. Crushed rosemary and all purpose seasoning. I've been using this one quite a bit lately, I like it.

Anyone else think a good bone in chop is on par (or maybe even better than) a good steak?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I'm about to make some pork chops. Thick cut (probably 1.5"), bone in. Two zone heat over charcoal, sear, and I'll let them come up to about 150 on the cool side before letting them rest. Probably throw a chunk of oak or hickory in there to amp up the smoke.

Making a red potato salad on the side - dill, shaved parm, garlic, butter, olive oil, salt and pepper.

And then some broccoli as well.

Seasoning wise for the chops, keeping it simple. Crushed rosemary and all purpose seasoning. I've been using this one quite a bit lately, I like it.

Anyone else think a good bone in chop is on par (or maybe even better than) a good steak?
Certainly not better than a great Ribeye or strip, but very high on the list of things that are amazing on the grill.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Certainly not better than a great Ribeye or strip, but very high on the list of things that are amazing on the grill.
Personally I'd place thick cut bone in chops right between a ribeye and a strip.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Was able to grill some burgers on Sunday for the first time since December probably. January was pretty warm actually, but still cold and dark enough I didn't want to grill.

There's not many things in life better then biting into a big juicy grilled burger during the middle of winter

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Going to be reverse searing some NY Strips for the family this afternoon. We're also trying king crab grilled for the first time at home. I have a Traeger, so I'll slow cook the NY strips until they hit around 120, then finish them off in a cast iron. I'll crank the grill up, while those rest, and grill the king crab legs (about 7-10 minutes). I believe the wife wants asparagus as a side.

Pics to follow.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I was thinking about smoking ribs or pork butt...

Rain in the forecast the next several days tho.

Can be done, just annoying af... I did my 16 hrs on the last BBQ I did (brisket, pork butt, ribs) and I had to keep an umbrella shielding the cooking chamber or the temp inside would plummet.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Can be done, just annoying af... I did my 16 hrs on the last BBQ I did (brisket, pork butt, ribs) and I had to keep an umbrella shielding the cooking chamber or the temp inside would plummet.

My 4 yr old was begging me for baby back ribs, but I couldn't find a decent price on them. So, he's going to have to wait a bit.

Rain does put a damper on smoking, but I forge on with a cold beverage in hand. LOL

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

I know BBQ stuff can get out of hand with endless investments etc, but I have friends who swear by BBQ Tents, grill all year round.

Not sure if this one is any good, other than my neighbor having one and loving it.

Not a bad bang for buck.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My 4 yr old was begging me for baby back ribs, but I couldn't find a decent price on them. So, he's going to have to wait a bit.

Rain does put a damper on smoking, but I forge on with a cold beverage in hand. LOL

Oh I have as well.... I was up all night with that brisket.

And that rain was hard rain, where I'd hear it and run downstairs to make sure the umbrella was remaining in place.

I gotta give it to that big umbrella, it hung in there all night and got to a point where I just watched the temperature monitor on my phone.

When it would let up I'd run down and toss in some more big chunks of coal and some wood, and then run back in trying to avoid getting soaked.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know BBQ stuff can get out of hand with endless investments etc, but I have friends who swear by BBQ Tents, grill all year round.

Not sure if this one is any good, other than my neighbor having one and loving it.

Not a bad bang for buck.

I've considered something like that, but I'm limited with space as well. I've considered building a little lean to type shelter for my Traeger, but haven't pulled the trigger on something like that yet. It would keep the majority of rain off but be open to air on 1 side. It would allow me to hang grilling tools and have a bit of storage too.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
So I have a fire pit in my backyard, and I'm thinking about not only building a pathway to sit around that, but to also build a walkway to a concrete patio that I can put my grill and smoker onto. After that build a decent set of shelves and a roof to protect it from the weather. Thinking about keeping the grill, the smoker I have (just a decent electric smoker), but adding this bad boy to the mix down the line:

hqdefault.jpg

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am considering hitting the butcher today.

Maybe get ribs and pork butt... do the ribs today and pork butt tomorrow.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
pork or beef ribs? If you've never tried beef ribs, I highly recommend them.

Pork ribs... baby back.

I've not tried beef ribs, but noted... I've been looking for other cuts to smoke.

I just got back, ribs were slim pickings but I got a decent rack.

Pork butt I was hoping to get a smallish one for just me, but they only had 6-7lb ones so I just took the one with the most marbling.

Ribs today (shorter cook)

Pork butt tomorrow.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Pork ribs... baby back.

I've not tried beef ribs, but noted... I've been looking for other cuts to smoke.

I just got back, ribs were slim pickings but I got a decent rack.

Pork butt I was hoping to get a smallish one for just me, but they only had 6-7lb ones so I just took the one with the most marbling.

Ribs today (shorter cook)

Pork butt tomorrow.

Make sure you stuff that butt with bacon and onions before you smoke it for 40 hours at 12,000 degrees