PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I have a Traeger, specifically the Texas Elite 34. Basic, no WiFi connectivity, which all the new models have. I’ve read great things about Rec Tec. You might want to check them out. I’ve had good results, but I know many guys used to stick burners are critical of these, due to less smoke flavor. I haven’t had that experience, but that is out there.

I’ve seen mixed reviews on the Weber. If you want Weber, I’d wait until year 2 of these to see if they work the kinks out.

Last edited:

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I'm in the market for a grill. I'm thinking pellet. I still have my gas grill (Weber Q Series) and love it. I bought it right out of college and has been perfect, but looking for something I can smoke with.

What do y'all recommend? I'm naturally drawn to Weber products so was looking at the new Weber SmokeFire EX4, but it's getting very mixed reviews so I'm not sure it's worth the $1,000 price tag.

CC: @Ares @Burque @PaytonHighstep @BearFanJohn
I would look at green mountain grill.

I'd try to stay with a made in the United states brand and I know traeger moved their production outside of the country.

I think with traeger you're paying a bit more for the name.

I know a lot of people are happy with:
Gmg
Yoder
Rec tec (expensive)
And pit boss

I've also heard a lot of people talking about Z grills lately, I think they are made in the states and one of the newer kids on the block.

Last edited:

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I'd try to stay with a made in the United states brand and I know traeger moved their production outside of the country.

Gmg
Yoder
Rec tec (expensive)
And pit boss

I've also heard a lot of people talking about Z grills lately, I think they are made in the states and one of the newer kids on the block.

Z Grill ads having been popping up on my Facebook feed the last couple months. I’ve yet to research them or see anyone post that they have one.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Gmg
Yoder
Rec tec (expensive)
And pit boss

Thanks. One of my buddies has a pit boss. Said he bought it on sale at Menards and it's pretty no thrills but has been solid for $300 bux or so. I've also looked at some Traegers. Honestly, I'm very partial to Weber. I love that brand and their products so I'm trying to be loyal. Apparently there has been so much shit with the SmokeFire that another model is being pushed soon so I might wait for that. I'm just researching and reading way to many reviews at this point. Just need to dive in head first.

You have a Traeger, right? Size, shape, model?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Thanks. One of my buddies has a pit boss. Said he bought it on sale at Menards and it's pretty no thrills but has been solid for $300 bux or so. I've also looked at some Traegers. Honestly, I'm very partial to Weber. I love that brand and their products so I'm trying to be loyal. Apparently there has been so much shit with the SmokeFire that another model is being pushed soon so I might wait for that. I'm just researching and reading way to many reviews at this point. Just need to dive in head first.

You have a Traeger, right? Size, shape, model?

I have the same one as @PaytonHighstep A Texas Elite 34. I will say that for the price of it I would go GMG and save some bucks.

The Traeger has worked perfectly for me, but I still need to get a front shelf and the second internal rack, that are all at an extra cost. So when I look at it from a dollars and common sense point of view I would tend to tell others to buy a different brand and go from there. I remember @Fatman LOU bought a GMG I think he bought the Daniel Boone or the Jim Bowie and absolutely loved it.

All of these newer ones are coming with Wifi etc, and mine is the generation right before that. While the controller is simpler and doesn't do as much, it also seems like it is less likely to fuck up because it is a simple knob and temp probe. However all of these things come with warranties and most of them have rather excellent customer service from what I have read. If I ever get a second one it will be a different brand unless Traeger decides they want to start competing on price and bring their factory back to the United States.

Here are some links to the product pages. Interesting side note, both of these companies are having Mothers day sales this weekend. Might be a good opportunity to save some money!

Edit: The 34" size (my traeger) is a great size. Big enough that I can fit multiple things on it at the same time, but not a giant one either. I would be a little concerned if I went too much smaller that it wouldn't do a whole brisket without stuffing it in there. I have done two ten # pork butts with plenty of room left over I could probably fit four of them on the grill. So consider whomst you are going to be cooking for, as the bigger ones still work great for just the two of us and say, a couple of lobster tails, but can also do enough to feed a party.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As usual, no time to post pics yesterday while omnomnomnom'ing

Pork butt

2g1aOdz.jpg

aRNHVW6.jpg

GO4qIo9.jpg

St Louis ribs

E6xgDLW.jpg

FDciHPL.jpg

2dAhEUZ.jpg

Baby back

VF8gyTv.jpg

TK8iQPX.jpg

CuMgfzw.jpg

The ribs got a real nice bark, maybe a little too crispy, but otherwise the best ribs I've ever made.

St Louis cut was good, but in general this was my first time executing 3-2-1 exactly as proscribed and while by the end of step 2 they are way too tender.... that final hour really firms them up.

Will trust the 3-2-1 method in the future.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As usual, no time to post pics yesterday while omnomnomnom'ing

Pork butt

2g1aOdz.jpg

aRNHVW6.jpg

GO4qIo9.jpg

St Louis ribs

E6xgDLW.jpg

FDciHPL.jpg

2dAhEUZ.jpg

Baby back

VF8gyTv.jpg

TK8iQPX.jpg

CuMgfzw.jpg

The ribs got a real nice bark, maybe a little too crispy, but otherwise the best ribs I've ever made.

St Louis cut was good, but in general this was my first time executing 3-2-1 exactly as proscribed and while by the end of step 2 they are way too tender.... that final hour really firms them up.

Will trust the 3-2-1 method in the future.
Looks great!

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
9F41CB9A-177A-4F7C-AA68-884BCEF66D43.jpeg
Figured I’d share this in the grillmaster thread as well. Steelhead trout smoked at 225, until IT 145. Basic salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Then a little lemon and melted butter when served.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you guys haven't tried a smoked Mississippi mud roast, you don't know what you're missing.

You can follow most of the mud roast recipes when it comes to ingredients, but I would modify the cook times and temps you usually see for the smoked version. (The purpose of smoking at such a low temp is to keep the fat from rendering too early and drying out the roast)

Smoke well marbled "rubbed" chuck roast @ 180 for 3hrs
bump smoker/grill up to 275
Place in dutch oven or disposable aluminium with remaining ingredients and potatoes/carrots.
Cook for 2hrs @ 275 or until meat hits 205-210.
Toast up some buns or hoagies
Shred beef and pepperchinis and serve on buns.
Slap Yo Momma!

Last edited:

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
If you guys haven't tried a smoked Mississippi mud roast, you don't know what you're missing.

You can follow most of the mud roast recipes when it comes to ingredients, but I would modify the cook times and temps you usually see for the smoked version. (The purpose of smoking at such a low temp is to keep the fat from rendering too early and drying out the roast)

Smoke well marbled "rubbed" chuck roast @ 180 for 3hrs
bump smoker/grill up to 275
Place in dutch oven or disposable aluminium with remaining ingredients and potatoes/carrots.
Cook for 2hrs @ 275 or until meat hits 205-210.
Toast up some buns or hoagies
Shred beef and pepperchinis and serve on buns.
Slap Yo Momma!

I have been wanting to do a sous vide chuck roast. I hear that you can really take middling meat cuts and turn them into fantastic finished dishes with the long cook in the Sous Vide. You can even smoke after for a 30 minute Smoked Chuck @HeHateMe

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have been wanting to do a sous vide chuck roast. I hear that you can really take middling meat cuts and turn them into fantastic finished dishes with the long cook in the Sous Vide. You can even smoke after for a 30 minute Smoked Chuck @HeHateMe

I'd be curious to know your results. I'm currently unaware of the benefits of using sous vide to bring a piece of meat to 200 degrees. It would be neat to do a side by side taste test comparison.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I have been seeing this thing passed around the internet about a smoked queso. It is high on my list to try.

Basically you cube up the cheese and all the ingredients then throw them into a tin smoker pan, it seems like people start with them all separated and then as the cheese melts they just kinda start stirring it all together until it is done. It looks like a GREAT fucking idea, but something more for a party or a big family thing, so obviously not doing it any time soon around these parts.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I have been seeing this thing passed around the internet about a smoked queso. It is high on my list to try.

Basically you cube up the cheese and all the ingredients then throw them into a tin smoker pan, it seems like people start with them all separated and then as the cheese melts they just kinda start stirring it all together until it is done. It looks like a GREAT fucking idea, but something more for a party or a big family thing, so obviously not doing it any time soon around these parts.
Can you send me a link? I'm literally about to start a food blog.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Can you send me a link? I'm literally about to start a food blog.

I don't really have a link as people have been posting about it all over facebook pages. Also there is no defined recipe either other than it seems everyone uses velveeta. Probably could be done with a beer cheese and be just as good or better.

I think the original photo I saw the guy just had Velveeta, Rotel, Jalapenos, Onions, and maybe some browned ground beef.

Here are a few pictures I borrowed from facebook.

101871482_10222498820963270_4178109838351292229_o.jpg

101649612_10157352337818441_3516609144998665701_n.jpg183021703_10157352337823441_3864781028666601785_n.jpg102919630_10156974964365689_7148683428136833583_o.jpg102951345_10107392015867859_4379085604210795453_n.jpg102960487_10107392015827939_7904584468970112712_n.jpg

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't really have a link as people have been posting about it all over facebook pages. Also there is no defined recipe either other than it seems everyone uses velveeta. Probably could be done with a beer cheese and be just as good or better.

I think the original photo I saw the guy just had Velveeta, Rotel, Jalapenos, Onions, and maybe some browned ground beef.

View attachment 5842

View attachment 5843View attachment 5844View attachment 5845View attachment 5846View attachment 5847
Thanks, helpful!

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

View attachment 5842

View attachment 5843View attachment 5844View attachment 5845View attachment 5846View attachment 5847
Definitely tailgating with this

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
@Burque @nvanprooyen

i wonder what it would taste like if you used chorizo instead of ground beef?