Official CCS Grillmasters thread

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My power was out from 5am thru basically all of yesterday, so I'm late here.

Cook time depends on the amount/thickness of meat.

A full packer brisket is usually like 10-12lbs and can take 1-1.5 hrs per lb of meat.

I've done full packer briskets where I start them around midnight before when I want to serve it and cook it for 16-18 hours.

What I cooked and posted was not a full packer brisket, it was only a cut (point I think, a brisket has a point cut and a flat cut)

It was only about 5.5lbs and my butcher had cut it away from the full packer to sell separately.

And as @Burque said, when the meat stalls, wrap it up tight in the heavy duty foil or your cook time could balloon by 6-8 hours.

Also, if you've had it on your smoker up to the stall, you can wrap it, put it on a baking sheet, and finish it in the oven at 225-250.

Either way, if you are cooking a big hunk of meat (think pork butt, brisket, etc) you'll need to wrap it when it stalls or build in an extra 4-6 hours to get thru the stall.
Your smoke ring looks real good. I did a brisket Saturday. Mine was about 9 pounds after trimming , so i smoked it at 280* . took about 7/12 hours wrapped it after 3 hours. Just SPOG and a beef injection marinade . But $ 10.00 a pound wow. You big spender.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I did another half-cut of brisket for the family on Saturday.

I believe the cut I got last week was a point and this was a flat.

NdAyaaL.jpg

oNtFfIT.jpg

z3DoO5c.jpg

1TOjBA5.jpg

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Why did I look in here?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
That brisket looks great! What do you rub with? I typically keep it simple with SPG.

I just bought a prime brisket from Costco for $3.29/#, I can’t wait to cook it up for Bears gameday one of these weeks. I have to wait though, wifey just informed me she’s burned out on beef.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That brisket looks great! What do you rub with? I typically keep it simple with SPG.

I just bought a prime brisket from Costco for $3.29/#, I can’t wait to cook it up for Bears gameday one of these weeks. I have to wait though, wifey just informed me she’s burned out on beef.

I buy competition team rubs and sauces.

Sucklebusters Texas brisket rub is what I use for briskets, and their sauce is great as well.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
smoked cod last night with some lemon pepper seasoning and some green chile albukirky rub. we made mango salsa and hit up some fish tacos. they were very tasty.

It was my first time smoking cod for fish tacos. When I do it again, I'll probably cook at a higher temp (250-275) instead of 225. My wife isn't a big fan of smoke flavor and this had a nice smokiness to it. I'm thinking cooking at a higher temp will speed up the cook and not allow as much smoke flavor to impart on the fish.

Any thoughts on this thinking?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
smoked cod last night with some lemon pepper seasoning and some green chile albukirky rub. we made mango salsa and hit up some fish tacos. they were very tasty.

It was my first time smoking cod for fish tacos. When I do it again, I'll probably cook at a higher temp (250-275) instead of 225. My wife isn't a big fan of smoke flavor and this had a nice smokiness to it. I'm thinking cooking at a higher temp will speed up the cook and not allow as much smoke flavor to impart on the fish.

Any thoughts on this thinking?

Less time, less smoke will certainly be true.

Idk how you do it, but I use charcoal for heat, and wood chunks/chips for smoke.

You could dial back your wood usage to reduce the smoke flavor if you do it the same way.

Also if you wrap the meat in foil at any point, the smoke won't penetrate.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Less time, less smoke will certainly be true.

Idk how you do it, but I use charcoal for heat, and wood chunks/chips for smoke.

You could dial back your wood usage to reduce the smoke flavor if you do it the same way.

Also if you wrap the meat in foil at any point, the smoke won't penetrate.
I have a pellet smoker, so I think playing with temp and time is best. I should've given my smoker type when asking for tips. I will keep in mind the foil wrap, that could save me some trouble of too much smoke on my wife's portion.

Thanks for the tips!

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I have a pellet smoker, so I think playing with temp and time is best. I should've given my smoker type when asking for tips. I will keep in mind the foil wrap, that could save me some trouble of too much smoke on my wife's portion.

Thanks for the tips!

If you wrap some of it and not other portions remember that the wrapped portion will also usually cook quicker. Would hate to dry out/overcook the one portion of something you are trying to get just right for the wifey.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you wrap some of it and not other portions remember that the wrapped portion will also usually cook quicker. Would hate to dry out/overcook the one portion of something you are trying to get just right for the wifey.

That's a really good point to raise.... stuff that is wrapped always cooks faster.

It will retain moisture inside the wrap, but may well start to dehydrate the meat itself if it goes too long... or just get mushy and unappetizing.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I'm totally a hater. But you already know this...

Pellets are cheating. Just cook that shit in the oven or something.

It must be nice to have such a nice and fun life and still have plenty of time to walk around so mad all the time.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It must be nice to have such a nice and fun life and still have plenty of time to walk around so mad all the time.
Lol. If it makes you feel any better, I constantly talk shit to my brother too about his glorified oven.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Lol. If it makes you feel any better, I constantly talk shit to my brother too about his glorified oven.

I think of it like this. If I hadn't ever gotten a pellet pooper I wouldn't have ever started smoking things. I wasn't ever down for the traditional smoking methods, and this one form opened the doorway for me and my family to enjoy delicious smoked meats at home as well.

If this one ever shits the bed I will buy another one, but probably a different brand. In New Mexico I am never going to deal with rust or any of the horrible weather events that ruin these things with moisture, so I am pretty sure that it will be around to provide years of smoked meats and smoke hot peppers.

To your bit about the oven, it actually is really nice in the summer when you want to bake something and not heat up your house, so being able to get consistent oven temps is a plus to me.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Very pleased with the steaks I cooked tonight: went to the good butcher and got some prime filets...about 3" thick....finally worked the timing and shelf height of the oven for broiling, and they came out perfectly rare...juicy, flavorful, tender...been working a long time to get steaks to come out this well...hope it's a good harbinger for the new year.