My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Finished off in the broiler and sauced:

tpjUxAF.jpg
While these look great, you had me at that the picture before it. Gimme two of those.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
While these look great, you had me at that the picture before it. Gimme two of those.
I agree with you. I think I'm gonna go unsauced this weekend tbh. If people want to add it, they can. But I will still probably broil a few mins at the end. Even though the chicken was fully crisp, the sauce just made it a little soggy again after it sat for a bit.

Last edited:

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Isn't it nice, using technology to your advantage.
I honestly have conflicting feelings on pellet grills. The convenience seems amazing. Truly set it and forget it. But for some reason, I feel like it's cheating. Part of the reason I love bbq is spending long amounts of time on producing great food. If I'm not burning charcoal, adjusting vents, and compulsively checking on stuff it just doesn't feel the same. It's almost like the process is as important as the outcome. Granted, my new WSM is waaay easier than dealing with an offset. So I'm like half "cheating". But for some nostalgic, dumb reason...I feel like putting time and effort into the final product is important.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I agree with you. I think I'm gonna go unsauced this weekend tbh. If people want to add it, they can. But I will still probably broil a few mins at the end. Even though the chicken was fully crisp, the sauce just made it a little soggy again after it sat for a bit.
Both pictures look great, but lately I've gone away from thicker sauces. What did you rub on them?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Both pictures look great, but lately I've gone away from thicker sauces. What did you rub on them?
I normally make my own rubs, but I ended up using store bought stuff on these. Olive oil +

Let them sit in a freezer bag for about 2hrs in the fridge, then sprinkled a little more on top on the uneven parts when I put on the smoker.

Daughter has a friend staying over tonight and they were eating burgers. Daughter was like "is it good?". Friend was like "better than good...this is the best burger I've had in my life!". #feelsgoodman

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Aldi bbq sauces >>>
Stubbs is good tho
For real? I'll have to grab some. I like making my own sauces, but a lot of times I'm in a time crunch and can't be bothered.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I struggle with smoking, grilling, frying, baking, and really any other cooking method all parts of the chicken.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I struggle with smoking, grilling, frying, baking, and really any other cooking method all parts of the chicken.
Dark meat is pretty forgiving. White meat like boneless skinless chicken breasts can be hard. Real easy to dry out. I've found that pounding, brining, and then cooking at a hotter temp for less time helps a lot. Meat thermometers are your friend.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Another glorious day of smoking meat, hanging out in the pool, and drinking way too much beer on the horizon. Everything cleaned up and ready to go. Chicken marinating in the fridge.

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
My wife bought me(us) a Louisiana Grills upright electric smoker for Father’s Day that finished cleaning this morning. Goddamn this thing gets gross

I started a rack of lamb after my kids went down for their nap and just got to eat a few chops from it. Fuck, I love meat.

I mean, cooked animal flesh...

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I honestly have conflicting feelings on pellet grills. The convenience seems amazing. Truly set it and forget it. But for some reason, I feel like it's cheating. Part of the reason I love bbq is spending long amounts of time on producing great food. If I'm not burning charcoal, adjusting vents, and compulsively checking on stuff it just doesn't feel the same. It's almost like the process is as important as the outcome. Granted, my new WSM is waaay easier than dealing with an offset. So I'm like half "cheating". But for some nostalgic, dumb reason...I feel like putting time and effort into the final product is important.

I wonder why @HeHateMe liked your post.... he only spends thirty minutes smoking his ribs. I'm guessing he gets extra compulsive over that thirty minutes in order to make up the difference.....

To be honest with you, I do not give a shit. Outside of a survival situation I would never smoke food the old fashioned way. There is zero reason to if I can get good smoke, good IT, and a good end result with something that simply works. Why the hell wouldn't I??

I mean I understand the hate. People are pissed that they are getting outclassed by a machine while they stay up all night trying to figure out how to avoid hot spots, flare ups, and temp swings. Props to them if that is what they want to do. I just have zero desire to join that club.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Ironic that I got attacked by doing things on my own. Huh.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
U got attacked? Are u okay?? T&P buddy.
Lol. Did Brett change his tagline to single issue voter, or did someone do that for him.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I wonder why @HeHateMe liked your post.... he only spends thirty minutes smoking his ribs. I'm guessing he gets extra compulsive over that thirty minutes in order to make up the difference.....

To be honest with you, I do not give a shit. Outside of a survival situation I would never smoke food the old fashioned way. There is zero reason to if I can get good smoke, good IT, and a good end result with something that simply works. Why the hell wouldn't I??

I mean I understand the hate. People are pissed that they are getting outclassed by a machine while they stay up all night trying to figure out how to avoid hot spots, flare ups, and temp swings. Props to them if that is what they want to do. I just have zero desire to join that club.
No hate here. I just enjoy the process. Admittedly I'd like to have one for super long cooks, stuff that takes 12-14 hrs. But for stuff like chicken, ribs, etc I like doing things manually.