OFFICIAL College Football 2021 Thread

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
I don’t think anyone here will say that Iowa was actually the second best team in the country or better than Alabama.

And I am pretty sure HawkBear would be the first to say that. He actually said it before they got ranked that high.

They are a very good team but they’re not second best in all of CFB.

You are correct in that one major flaw in the polling system is that voters in the initial pole vote where they think a team ranks among the others and once the initial Paul has been released after that it’s move up if you win move down if you lose. The pollsters don’t sit down and say who do I really think it’s the best team in the second base and third-base etc. which is what they really should do.

That's the thing that bothers me about the polls and why they are pretty meaningless. Alabama plays a bad game on the road and loses. Bama could play Iowa or Cincy 100 times and not lose. If you are a pollster why put Iowa at #2 when you know they aren't better than Bama or even Cincy? Moving teams up just because they win and moving teams down because they lose is the dumbest thing in the world. Same thing for Georgia. They are probably the best team this year. If they slip up and lose one game to somebody, should they automatically go behind teams that won that week?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
That's the thing that bothers me about the polls and why they are pretty meaningless. Alabama plays a bad game on the road and loses. Bama could play Iowa or Cincy 100 times and not lose. If you are a pollster why put Iowa at #2 when you know they aren't better than Bama or even Cincy? Moving teams up just because they win and moving teams down because they lose is the dumbest thing in the world. Same thing for Georgia. They are probably the best team this year. If they slip up and lose one game to somebody, should they automatically go behind teams that won that week?
In a word…yes

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I see Illinois is a 23.5 point underdog today, and I can't imagine they can cover that.

But I can't bet it, and that's probably good. We'll see. Why would ABC choose that game to show?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Iowa was a fluke and everybody knew it. That's the dumb thing about polls. You keep winning and you move up while other teams lose and fall below you.

Does anybody with a brain think that just because Bama lost to A&M that somehow that make Iowa a better team and capable of staying within 4 TDs of Bama?

It was just a matter of time before Iowa lost. Ferentz does this about every 5 yearsish. He gets a team ranked pretty high then loses to a shitty team. We've seen this before. I'm just glad it happened again. I hate Iowa and their dipshit fans.
Apologies, I kinda took the past week off from College football following Iowa's loss. You're correct, Bama would destroy Iowa. They aren't a playoff team at all, and was fun while it lasted. I'll call them top 10 tho.

And what's your beef with Iowa fans? It's Iowa football - a literal mediocre football program (who has some nice seasons here or there) in the middle of no where? You're a sad, pathetic, fucking loser.

HAWKS BY A MILLION!

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
True. My bad. Not necessarily him. Probably a good dude.

I used to live in a city that had a lot of Iowa fans. Big ten country. Iowa fans were some of the most obnoxious, dumbest fans around. Acting like they were some big time program, big name program. Have they won anything since the ice age? They were so obnoxious. Just left a bad taste in my mouth. Equal to minnesota goofers fans.
I can tell you from living in Hawkeye country my whole life, yes the fanbase has some meatballs like many football teams. Many of us are very level headed and understand what the team is. We are a 6 to 9 win team and will occasionally squeak out 11-12 wins. Doesn't mean fans can't be excited when the team wins games.

It's the same with the Bears tbh. A historically very mediocre team, but capable of winning some games. They are honestly like the same team.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Apologies, I kinda took the past week off from College football following Iowa's loss. You're correct, Bama would destroy Iowa. They aren't a playoff team at all, and was fun while it lasted. I'll call them top 10 tho.

And what's your beef with Iowa fans? It's Iowa football - a literal mediocre football program (who has some nice seasons here or there) in the middle of no where? You're a sad, pathetic, fucking loser.

HAWKS BY A MILLION!
Hawks may have been too high at #2, but they're better than the Penn State team currently sitting at #7. And Oklahoma at #4 is a complete joke.

One big problem with college football poll voters is they base their votes on the names on the uniforms versus the players in them.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Big Ten refs like to protect the Big Ten's ranked teams.

Penn State is tied with Illinois after the Illini had two TDs called back due to penalty.

As i said earlier, I would have bet Penn State -24. But Illinois is tied with them in the 4th in spite of three turnovers, the two negated TDs, and a missed FG.

But the clown show known as Big Ten officiating is not going to allow an upset.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Great comeback from NIU. Nice to see the team bowl eligible at 6-2 after going winless last season.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Big Ten refs like to protect the Big Ten's ranked teams.

Penn State is tied with Illinois after the Illini had two TDs called back due to penalty.

As i said earlier, I would have bet Penn State -24. But Illinois is tied with them in the 4th in spite of three turnovers, the two negated TDs, and a missed FG.

But the clown show known as Big Ten officiating is not going to allow an upset.
Illini did it . Great win with 9 OTs. Never seen a game like that.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
LOL at Iowa!!! Talk about being overrated! They lost to Winsconsin, a team ND easily beat.

pablovi

Liked Posts:

HAWKS BY A MILLION!
LOL, they’re not top 10!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Jim Harbaugh’s ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against MSU is nothing less than astonishing.

And I am here for all of it!

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
First rankings out:

1. Georgia (8-0)

2. Alabama (7-1)

3. Michigan State (8-0)

4. Oregon (7-1)

5. Ohio State (7-1)

6. Cincinnati (8-0)

7. Michigan (7-1)

8. Oklahoma (9-0)

9. Wake Forest (8-0)

10. Notre Dame (7-1)

11. Oklahoma State (7-1)

12. Baylor (7-1)

13. Auburn (6-2)

14. Texas A&M (6-2)

15. BYU (7-2)

16. Ole Miss (6-2)

17. Mississippi State (5-3)

18. Kentucky (6-2)

19. NC State (6-2)

20. Minnesota (6-2)

21. Wisconsin (5-3)

22. Iowa (6-2)

23. Fresno State (7-2)

24. San Diego State (7-1)

25. Pitt (6-2)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wow. I am surprised and happy to see someone rank Oklahoma properly.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Illini take down #20 Gophers 14-6. Fun game.