***OFFICIAL ***Justin Fields critique thread. (FTO)

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree ?

I think it's right inline with Eberflus saying, "As long as we move the pocket, we're doing good."

It's designed. They are not doing Justin's development any favors. I just hate that here we are heading into year three without a CLEAR indication that he's a good passer. I will NOT want to sign an unproven guy again - Jay Cutler got me once.
Cutler in year three with this team would have won 8 or 9 games with 4 different OC's
Change my mind

That being said the kid ran for what 1k yards and made some plays throughout the year is he a franchise QB the jury is still out but the talent is there

dennehy

Liked Posts:
No I have never thought olive oil was polyunsaturated fat. It has a decent amount as a component of it, but have always known it was not.
It's tough to believe you knew that, given you were the author of the incorrect statement from just a few months ago.

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Da Bears should give JF hamburgers for his pre-game meal and tell him they're Impossible Burgers.......he'll never know....:snoop"

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
- Held onto the ball for too long consistently yesterday.

- Was lackadaisical on the fumble after he cleared the initial rushers, and had poor ball security.

- the INT was a bad throw but was a chit play as well so whatever.

- He needs to play fast and be more decisive overall. He's going to get himself hurt if he keeps hanging onto the ball and getting hit as a result.

- He missed an open Cole Kmet in the EZ on the 2nd drive when scrambling to the left.

- Aidan Hutchinson played Fields well yesterday.

Other notes:

- He needs a better supporting cast. That's at OL and WR. I feel as though he started really well but then the Kmet drop hurt his momentum. That's one thing with Kmet, I think he's good but he'd be really good if his hands were more consistent.

- VJJ is a good KR and a good gadget guy on offense.

- I feel like the defense would take a big leap forward if they could generate pressure at a decent rate.

- I'd really like a high end WR. If you end up with the 2nd pick I'd maybe trade back outside the top 5 for 2-3 first rounders and take Skoronski/JSN then commit the rest of the draft resources to the defense. I would feel a lot better if Mooney was projected to be WR2.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:

- Was lackadaisical on the fumble after he cleared the initial rushers, and had poor ball security.

- He needs to play fast and be more decisive overall. He's going to get himself hurt if he keeps hanging onto the ball and getting hit as a result.

- He missed an open Cole Kmet in the EZ on the 2nd drive when scrambling to the left.

Other notes:

- He needs a better supporting cast. That's at OL and WR. I feel as though he started really well but then the Kmet drop hurt his momentum. That's one thing with Kmet, I think he's good but he'd be really good if his hands were more consistent.

- I feel like the defense would take a big leap forward if they could generate pressure at a decent rate.

- I'd really like a high end WR. If you end up with the 2nd pick I'd maybe trade back outside the top 5 for 2-3 first rounders and take Skoronski/JSN then commit the rest of the draft resources to the defense. I would feel a lot better if Mooney was projected to be WR2.
I agree with the trade back somewhere around 8 then snag skoronski my hopes they snag a premier wr in fa and then use the 2nd first rounder they get and the rest of the draft on defence

That alone would make a huge upgrade across the board as far as talent goes on this team

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Other notes:

Kmet has 2 drops on the year, 25th in the league for tight ends.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Kmet has 2 drops on the year, 25th in the league for tight ends.
His hands have certainly improved a lot. There's no bigger fan of his than me, he's a legit TE1. I'd say he's in the 2nd tier for TEs and will stay there.

Good blocker, has shown potential as a RZ weapon this year, tough to tackle, and a good pass catcher. He's limited mainly by his athletic ability I'd say. I don't really expect him to ever put up beyond 60/600/6. He's a solid, good player. He's a hit for the mid 2nd round certainly.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
His hands have certainly improved a lot. There's no bigger fan of his than me, he's a legit TE1. I'd say he's in the 2nd tier for TEs and will stay there.

Good blocker, has shown potential as a RZ weapon this year, tough to tackle, and a good pass catcher. He's limited mainly by his athletic ability I'd say. I don't really expect him to ever put up beyond 60/600/6. He's a solid, good player. He's a hit for the mid 2nd round certainly.
He needs to stop trying to juke or run around defenders, and instead put them on their ASSES.

for someone who CLAIMS to love violence he sure does pussy foot around it when the ball is in his hands

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

He needs to stop trying to juke or run around defenders, and instead put them on their ASSES.

for someone who CLAIMS to love violence he sure does pussy foot around it when the ball is in his hands
Yep. Quit trying to use what you don’t have—quickness or being nimble footed—and use what you do have—size. He has run over a few players this year but it’s too infrequent. Channel your inner Ditka, Kmet!

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:

I don't see this I do think he tries to truck defenders.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Other notes:

I concur with all of this which makes it a great post, naturally.

The Bears trading down with Poles fleecing and drafting Skoronski and Njigba is my wet dream scenario.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
One more game to go and I am still seeing the same issues with Justin.
He has had some solid results connecting deep, and solid results running.
But I am not seeing a ton of advancement on the nuts and bolts of being a quarterback, reading the defense, adjusting accordingly and taking what he is given.

As a matter of fact, the more I watch the more I believe the wrs know their contingencies far better than the qb.

Disclaimer-Yes, the line is poor. Yes, his wrs lack top tier athleticism.
But it is the job of the qb to get the ball out at the right time and let them earn their money.

I will sum up the problem I have with his play by giving people something to watch for.
When the defense shows blitz and comes with it, rarely does Justin take his eyes from his primary guy and go to his outlets.
He drops and moves and watches the deep route until he gets sacked, tucks and runs, or heaves it anyway.

I see time after time, week after week when he gets to the top of his drop, the short routes are looking to the backfield awaiting the check down and never get a look.

His hits and hurries are exacerbated by this.

For contrast, brady hit Evans for a 60+ yard td Sunday when he got behind the corner.
They run that route several times a game. Evans frequently gets position on his guy.
But, brady has to have the time to pull the trigger. It isnt often he has that kind of time.
Rather than throw it up for an incomplete pass under duress, brady hits his outlets and moves the chains.

That is what I am looking for. The bread and butter plays that move the chains.
Justin doesn't even give them a look. They turn back to watch him scramble around and buy time for a deep shot.

Forget the stats and just watch. I dont care if the ball clanks off the receivers chest- see how his receivers recognize their assignment in a blitz and look back for the pass. Justin will still be looking deep.
It isnt even about completion or yards. It is about recognizing what he is facing and what the playbook says he should do.
From what I see, he doesn't seem to to recognize those adjustments and react.

Until that changes, the pressure will just keep coming and the linebackers can forget about coverage and run upfield.

Just watch the games. You will see it.

greg23

Liked Posts:
One more game to go and I am still seeing the same issues with Justin.
He has had some solid results connecting deep, and solid results running.
But I am not seeing a ton of advancement on the nuts and bolts of being a quarterback, reading the defense, adjusting accordingly and taking what he is given.

As a matter of fact, the more I watch the more I believe the wrs know their contingencies far better than the qb.

Disclaimer-Yes, the line is poor. Yes, his wrs lack top tier athleticism.
But it is the job of the qb to get the ball out at the right time and let them earn their money.

I will sum up the problem I have with his play by giving people something to watch for.
When the defense shows blitz and comes with it, rarely does Justin take his eyes from his primary guy and go to his outlets.
He drops and moves and watches the deep route until he gets sacked, tucks and runs, or heaves it anyway.

I see time after time, week after week when he gets to the top of his drop, the short routes are looking to the backfield awaiting the check down and never get a look.

His hits and hurries are exacerbated by this.

For contrast, brady hit Evans for a 60+ yard td Sunday when he got behind the corner.
They run that route several times a game. Evans frequently gets position on his guy.
But, brady has to have the time to pull the trigger. It isnt often he has that kind of time.
Rather than throw it up for an incomplete pass under duress, brady hits his outlets and moves the chains.

That is what I am looking for. The bread and butter plays that move the chains.
Justin doesn't even give them a look. They turn back to watch him scramble around and buy time for a deep shot.

Forget the stats and just watch. I dont care if the ball clanks off the receivers chest- see how his receivers recognize their assignment in a blitz and look back for the pass. Justin will still be looking deep.
It isnt even about completion or yards. It is about recognizing what he is facing and what the playbook says he should do.
From what I see, he doesn't seem to to recognize those adjustments and react.

Until that changes, the pressure will just keep coming and the linebackers can forget about coverage and run upfield.

Just watch the games. You will see it.
Spot on; but clearly you're a racist!

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Spot on; but clearly you're a racist!
No, he just actually put some time and thought into typing up what he's seeing.

Never seen you come close to making the point you lazily just cosigned

greg23

Liked Posts:
No, he just actually put some time and thought into typing up what he's seeing.

Never seen you come close to making the point you lazily just cosigned
Except I've said it for 2 years.....he refuses to check anything down; ever....big play or nothing.....part of his poor processing/reading a defense

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So he never throws a screen? Maybe you should have your intern check your posts before you submit

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Except I've said it for 2 years.....he refuses to check anything down; ever....big play or nothing.....part of his poor processing/reading a defense
You've never seen him check down?