***OFFICIAL***Justin Fields should start, bench Andy Dalton.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Maybe it is because I am a little older, but I think that he should learn all he can before he is thrown into the fire. He played on the biggest college stage, but even that is not the same as the NFL.

From what we can tell he is very intelligent, and very physically capable of playing, but we have waited too long to have a QB with his potential to rush things. I imagine it will not require us waiting the entire year before we lose too many games for Nagy to ignore the pressure to start him.

The one thing I can give Nagy credit for is not being afraid to start the next guy if he thinks it will help. He started Foles even though we had a good record, because he saw too many issues. He pulled the plug on Foles when he saw that he was unable to function behind a poor line. I have no doubt that he will have Andy on a short leash if he thinks that Fields is ready, and for that reason, I think we should start Andy in the season opener.

HOWEVER, if Justin flatout shows he is the superior QB in TC and Pre-season, Nagy might be forced to ask himself and the rest of the coaching staff, "why not starts Justin". And if they struggle to come up a clear answer, we could see it happen. But that is the only way that I want him to be the opening day starter.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
Racism?

Seriously, the Bear are being careful and have made certain they could do it this way. I think it's a good plan but hopefully not written in stone beyond the 1st 1/4 season. OL will need a few weeks to gel anyway.

Jets have no QBs capable of starting outside of Wilson.

Jags do but with a new coaching staff, probably want to just start with the new toy and will build the new O accordingly.

Jets could have kept Darnold and Bears had no way of knowing they’d be able to draft Fields.....let’s not pretend they planned this lol

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jets could have kept Darnold and Bears had no way of knowing they’d be able to draft Fields.....let’s not pretend they planned this lol
Darnold had a 72 rating and 78 over 3 years so no.

Bears planned on drafting a QB and I've said as much before the draft. To think otherwise is denial.

They started talking at #9. Luck is involved in every draft but lets not pretend they didn't plan on getting a QB. They may also have moved in front of the Pats for Jones is the top 4 were gone early, as I also postulated before the draft.

Lots of rationalizing stuff on this board. if Minny had moved up, you'd be 'why didn't the Bears have a plan for this?' They did.

Without this, we likely end up with Jenkins or Darrisaw in one, our choice of Trask/Monds/Mills in 2 and Amari Rodgers in 3. We still draft a QB and cross our fingers he can develop in a year. All Fields does is speed up the transition. Did you think they got Dalton to be the new franchise QB and we were sitting pat? :rolleyes: Bears were even trying to move Foles before the draft, LOL?

Last edited:

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
The only question I would have for not starting Fields from day 1 is if he is mentally ready for the NFL, because his physical gifts are better than any QB I have ever seen in a Bears uniform.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
Darnold had a 72 rating and 78 over 3 years so no.

Bears planned on drafting a QB and I've said as much before the draft. To think otherwise is denial.

They started talking at #9. Luck is involved in every draft but lets not pretend they didn't plan on getting a QB. They may also have moved in front of the Pats for Jones is the top 4 were gone early, as I also postulated before the draft.

Lots of rationalizing stuff on this board. if Minny had moved up, you'd be 'why didn't the Bears have a plan for this?' They did.

Without this, we likely end up with Jenkins or Darrisaw in one, our choice of Trask/Monds/Mills in 2 and Amari Rodgers in 3. We still draft a QB and cross our fingers he can develop in a year. All Fields does is speed up the transition. Did you think they got Dalton to be the new franchise QB and we were sitting pat? :rolleyes: Bears were even trying to move Foles before the draft, LOL?

I’m not sure what your point is regarding Darnold. Why didn’t they keep him and sit Wilson for a year? I damn sure would rather start Darnold over Dalton. Dalton isn’t really an upgrade over Foles imo and by signing him it showed they weren’t positively drafting a QB. This sit a year because Mahomes did is nonsense....entirely different situation

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Of course your not. :rolleyes: I said before the draft that the Dalton move felt a lot like Glennon other than he's more competent.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
signing Dalton to a one year deal is pretty telling.

Bears were, in fact, targeting Fields in the draft.

Rappaport said Bears kept it quiet until the morning of the draft that they wanted to move up. They did not want anyone to know they wanted Fields.

My guess is Bears were determined to get one of the top 5 QBs and they knew Dalton was a <= 1 year player...

Fields should start this year at some point and then be the starter next year.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Fields is a shoe in for the type of college QB that could start immediately.

Do you even want a camp battle or nah?

Do you prefer the Mahomes route?

As close to the Mahomes route as possible. Here's the thing, if we lose with Fields at the helm, ppl are gonna want his head. However, IF..... it's a Russ Wilson-Matt Flynn type situation......you'd have to go with Fields on day 1

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whenever Fields understands the offense enough to be an effective starting QB, he should start...

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’m not sure what your point is regarding Darnold. Why didn’t they keep him and sit Wilson for a year? I damn sure would rather start Darnold over Dalton. Dalton isn’t really an upgrade over Foles imo and by signing him it showed they weren’t positively drafting a QB. This sit a year because Mahomes did is nonsense....entirely different situation
Darnold hasnt shown to be better than Dalton

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
in a way, i agree... but my problem is with Nagy right now , although that can change.