*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly how he said. The Bills have to match the details of the contract. They can't change it
So the Bears can offer him a 3yr 24 million dollar contract and pay him 12 mill in year one, then 6 mill in 2023 and 2024 and the Bills Can't counter with a 3 yr Contract for 24 mil, with 20 mil signing bonus and 1.333 mil base each year?

he gets more in yr one with the Bills contract.

You sure on this?

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
A lot of folks here have been pretty consistent that you don't overpay for protection for your young quarterback or receivers for your young quarterback in a year where you're not going to compete for a Super Bowl. I'm wondering when that changed.
I think many on here are willing to overpay for OL and Wrs, but it has to be the right player. Shouldn’t fault someone for not wanting to overpay for a LT like Armstead who has had injury problems his entire career. Or not over paying for the mediocre Wrs that actually became available in FA.

But clearly you feel different. Who that actually had interest in joining the Bears would you have over paid?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Dabears 70 literally, inaccurately calling baba Vash.

Dear god - if we are at the point where people are accusing other people of being me, then I have truly ascended to Grimson-level notoriety....

(And I did it with 1/100th of the alts ;) )

Rise

Liked Posts:
So the Bears can offer him a 3yr 24 million dollar contract and pay him 12 mill in year one, then 6 mill in 2023 and 2024 and the Bills Can't counter with a 3 yr Contract for 24 mil, with 20 mil signing bonus and 1.333 mil base each year?

You sure on this?

100% sure they have to fit the deal under the cap as structured to accept.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Does the rest of the board know?

In any case, I agree with your post at large. But isn't the cap situation what people are using to justify not signing receivers or protection for Fields? "They can make those signings **next year** when they have much more cap room" has been a very common refrain around here.

As far as who the Bears are signing, doesn't who you're signing have some effect on Fields' development? Which is something you say we *should* watch out for this year.

Oh hell, they don't care.

I've seen enough offseasons to know there are people here who genuinely aren't happy unless they are miserable AND are able to take that misery out on others....

dennehy

Liked Posts:

You sure on this?
Yes. The Bills have to sign him to the exact same contract or not.

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
Honestly?

I don't trust Bears fans (or fans in general really) to have any concept or grasp on the cap or any of that anyway.

We just lived through endless bitching about Pace and dead cap money, and some of the SAME people want the Bears to overspend on a name they just learned about 2 weeks ago in order to make them feel like the Bears are "doing something".

Even though they know as well as the rest of us do that the Bears won't be competing next year even if we did exhaust our cap and sign all the people.

So the whole thing is comical to me.

This team is at least 2 drafts away MINIMUM from competing to a point where we even SHOULD be worrying about the cap situation and missing out on prime free agents - and the only way that ends up not being the case is if Fields breaks out like a rockstar next season. Typically, traditionally, that breakout year doesn't happen until year 3 of a QB, and what we should be expecting for next season is, if Fields is the guy, for him to take a step and show he can be a reliable starting QB, with the occasional flash of something more here and there.

As to how they get there - I'm not the GM. I'll let them sign and draft all the people, and unless its something really egregious, I am holding off all judgements until we start seeing the team coming together in pre-season games (because training camp and OTAs tend to just be hype-machines).

This isn't a year for fans to worry about the cap or who the Bears are signing. Its not a year to worry about wins and losses.

It's a year to kick back, just enjoy football for the sake of it being football, and hope that from week 1 to week 18 of the regular season, you see things that show you they improved throughout the season, that Fields is continuing to grow, and that Poles and Flus aren't in over their heads with the players they DO choose, especially the draft picks.
This post reads as if you literally believe you're giving a Ted Talk about bears free agency when you have literally been proven to show you yourselve don't ha e any grasp of the concepts with which you are talking down upon others about what is especurally "rich" is the comment about not knowing of a player until literally a fort-nite ago when you yourselve have done a analysis on Byron Pringle whosmt you obviously were not familiar with or even his rank within the rank and file of the WR corps on the Chiefs but suddenly you position yourselve as a expert on KC when you didn't even watch them play until maybe the playoffs I mean are you kidding me?

For your information you are not kidding me or fooling anyone with any sort of football knowledge and should just stick to posting opinions of others from tweets instead of positioning them as your own because when people show you how those opinions are wrong you always say it's something you've been reading on Twitter or a blog anyways which ultimately shows that you don't credit your sources and that your sources aren't very credible themselfs in the first place which just makes you ultimately incredibly uncredible!

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I think many on here are willing to overpay for OL and Wrs, but it has to be the right player. Shouldn’t fault someone for not wanting to overpay for a LT like Armstead who has had injury problems his entire career. Or not over paying for the mediocre Wrs that actually became available in FA.

But clearly you feel different. Who that actually had interest in joining the Bears would you have over paid?
Oh, there are/were several options to make the Bears a better team at protecting their young quarterback, including guys like Brown and Fisher (who they still might get). Heck, I would've been cool at holding onto Daniels. I would've liked Armstead, but I understand the injury concerns and never really figured the Bears would be a destination wish for him anyway.

I like the Bates signing. That's definitely one I'm cool with. They have the cap space. It's probably not a long-term investment. And it signals some willingness to protect your biggest asset, depending on how he ends up performing. Will it definitely work out? Not necessarily, but it's high upside, low risk.

But then again, I've been consistent that I'd be fine with the Bears paying market value or over for protection and/or receiving options for their young quarterback. I've been called an idiot many times over for that. But now suddenly everyone agrees with me that overpaying for protection for your young quarterback is O.K.

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
He was talking about @VashalasX . Is that you?
I literally have nothing to do with that poster and will never understand what is happening in the posts I've scrolled back to read in this exchange but I assure you that I am nothing like the @Mighty Joe Young account at all and frankedly find it to be insulting that anyone would ever make an association about me toward that IGNORAMUS.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So the state of Bears FA success or failure now hinges on the offer sheet submitted to a RFA that was given the lowest possible restriction allowed?

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
I am not getting all these "structure" arguments.
Bills can easily just sign him to a 3 yr contract and make 90% signing bonus, and spread the cap over the 3 yrs.
Only thing I can think of is if the Bears offer him a 1 year contract for 8-9 mil.
They have to match the offer no just the contract value. With offer in hand, the Bills cannot negotiate with Bates

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m glad they signed him to an offer sheet and hope the Bills don’t match. Obviously he has some talent if all those teams are interested. Just kind of funny how excited people are over a guy none of us knew two weeks ago.
I’ve been following Bates’ career since he was in the womb