*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Now we have to wait 5 days lol

hX1SIk.gif

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
So you're ok with overpaying for a serviceable o-lineman, but not ok with overpaying for a serviceable-or-better receiver?

I'm up-front that I'm cool with doing either, because to me, the most important thing right now for the Bears should be the development of their young quarterback on his rookie contract. And to get some of those guys to come to the Bears is going to take some extra scratch---That's just the reality right now.

I agree that that doesn't mean they should just be dumb and throw good money after bad. They shouldn't just throw crap at the wall---They should take into account an honest assessment of the situation.

As far as interest in the Bears, who knows. Some of that, we'll never know. I'm not one of those people who gets pissed that Particular Player X didn't sign with the Bears.
I am not willing to overpay a serviceable Wr to a ridiculous long term deal or a pointless one year deal where they might walk away. If I’m throwing money at someone it has to be for multiple years and fit their production.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I am not willing to overpay a serviceable Wr to a ridiculous long term deal or a pointless one year deal where they might walk away. If I’m throwing money at someone it has to be for multiple years and fit their production.
But would you be willing to overpay if they fit the criteria?

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
But would you be willing to overpay if they fit the criteria?
Like I mentioned in an earlier post, yes if it’s for the right player/s. I personally did not see anyone from this years FA class that was worth over paying for. Especially with the cap situation the Bears were in.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There success in this free agency is two fold

One get out of as many bad contracts as possible. They did allot so far and have 3 more contracts to dump left which isn’t too bad. They get an A imo

Two protect fields. Don’t have the picks and cap to get enough skill position players it is what it is. The least they could do is fix the oline. Pretty poor attempt so far they get a fat D when it comes to this.

Reality is this team will be gutted trash for 3-4 years thanks to pace ruining the cap situation as bad as he did.
Oddly sounds like the Lions last year.

Two protect fields. Don’t have the picks and cap to get enough skill position players it is what it is. The least they could do is fix the oline. Pretty poor attempt so far they get a fat D when it comes to this.

Yeah, this should have been priority one.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Like I mentioned in an earlier post, yes if it’s for the right player/s. I personally did not see anyone from this years FA class that was worth over paying for. Especially with the cap situation the Bears were in.

I too would be willing to overpay for the right player(s). That's all I'm really saying. That's all I've *been* saying.

At the end of the day, it's really a question of who's worth it. Reasonable people can disagree on that bit. My issue is with the people who generically and abstractly say, "You can't overpay for free agents in a year you're not going to compete," because to me, I understand they're not going to compete---I just want Justin Fields to get his best shot to be successful. If throwing a few more bucks at a guy to get him to Chicago even nominally pushes you in that direction, it's a risk worth taking, in my estimation.

We'll probably never know who those players are/were who the Bears may have been willing to take that risk on, who just chose to go somewhere else. That's fine. Like I said, my issue is not one of being miffed the Bears didn't get X Player. My issue is the blanket declarations on something that is so clearly misguided.

Collins77

Liked Posts:
Jeez, lost my remote and had to listen to Stephen A for about 20 min. He is the most annoying sports analyst ever. He sounds like a southern preacher that keeps trying to use big words and loud voice to sound smart. He offers absolutely no knowledgeable input, just hot takes and his loud ass mouth.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I too would be willing to overpay for the right player(s). That's all I'm really saying. That's all I've *been* saying.

At the end of the day, it's really a question of who's worth it. Reasonable people can disagree on that bit. My issue is with the people who generically and abstractly say, "You can't overpay for free agents in a year you're not going to compete," because to me, I understand they're not going to compete---I just want Justin Fields to get his best shot to be successful. If throwing a few more bucks at a guy to get him to Chicago even nominally pushes you in that direction, it's a risk worth taking, in my estimation.

We'll probably never know who those players are/were who the Bears may have been willing to take that risk on, who just chose to go somewhere else. That's fine. Like I said, my issue is not one of being miffed the Bears didn't get X Player. My issue is the blanket declarations on something that is so clearly misguided.
With the rate really quality receivers are entering the league every year in the draft I simply do not see the point at all in handing any sort of significant free agent money for that position. The cost is getting onerous and the track record of these high profile veteran receiver acquisitions is pretty poor.

A high draft pick for a receiver? Sure. The success rate there has been pretty good these last few years, I don't know if its scouting or what but I don't think any position has as low a bust-rate as receivers these last three drafts (could be wrong on that, honestly). The Bengals are certainly thrilled that they have Jamarr Chase playing for no more than a ten million dollar cap hit these next three seasons while the Raiders are going to have a thirty-one year old Davante Adams soaking thirty million next year.

Spend the money on the offensive line and defense. And eventually a quarterback, god willing.

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Right. To me, its the same thing with those that already bitch about Fields being a bust...

- Many Bears fans have no idea what it takes or know what it looks like to develop a QB because we never have
- Many Bears fans have no clue how to properly build a roster for the long term because we never have

We've been wanting to finally build a team the right way (thru the draft, with a foundation of line strength on both sides of the ball), but a lot of folks are falling for the same short-term gratification okie doke that has plagued us always.
It wasn't always this way. The best GM in Bears history - Jim Finks - built the roster from the lines out, except for when he drafted Walter (a move I will never disagree with).

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Of course he writes a worthless article with no mention of the only thing everyone wants to know, the contract structure. Must be nice to have his job.
You think the Bears shared the offer sheet with him?

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Teven Jenkins?

All the more reason to sign a proven one in FA. Should have overpaid for Armstead, injuries and all.

I know don't sign anyone big in a rebuild blah blah blah but how can you ever rebuild without a stud LT?

Even if Fields isn't the guy you still need a LT for whoever's plays QB next year etc.

The draft isn't the answer either this year, the Bears have no shot at a stud LT with their picks.
Just my opinion here, but Jenkins is not a left tackle. Hell, I dont even think Borom is a RT.