*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
On Bates most NFL contracts allow teams to convert salary into SB without having to agree with player so think you can sign Bates to a contract that pays him say 10m in salary in year one. Bills will have to create that 10m in cap space to match but of they cant then yoh can convert that 10m into SB. Can't remember if teams can do that conversion immediately or if they have to wait a period of time.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
On Bates most NFL contracts allow teams to convert salary into SB without having to agree with player so think you can sign Bates to a contract that pays him say 10m in salary in year one. Bills will have to create that 10m in cap space to match but of they cant then yoh can convert that 10m into SB. Can't remember if teams can do that conversion immediately or if they have to wait a period of time.
Problem is then you get into high levels of guaranteed $.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
And probably have to cut somebody. To open the cap room.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
With the rate really quality receivers are entering the league every year in the draft I simply do not see the point at all in handing any sort of significant free agent money for that position. The cost is getting onerous and the track record of these high profile veteran receiver acquisitions is pretty poor.

A high draft pick for a receiver? Sure. The success rate there has been pretty good these last few years, I don't know if its scouting or what but I don't think any position has as low a bust-rate as receivers these last three drafts (could be wrong on that, honestly). The Bengals are certainly thrilled that they have Jamarr Chase playing for no more than a ten million dollar cap hit these next three seasons while the Raiders are going to have a thirty-one year old Davante Adams soaking thirty million next year.

Spend the money on the offensive line and defense. And eventually a quarterback, god willing.
Yea. Especially when you factor in the return on a trade. A first and a second? You can grab a really good receiver in the first for a fraction of the price then apply that money elsewhere. Not that Adams and Hill aren't great but you've got a cavalcade of high-end receivers having been drafted in first the few years: Chase, Smith, Brown, Jeudy, Lamb, Jefferson, Higgins, Pittman, Deebo. There's about an equal amount of guys who haven't put up big numbers (yet) but shit, I'd take my chances, especially if I've got a good QB.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
They cannot do that

mikeyk

Liked Posts:
It's literally this simple..

Bates now has his next contract in writing (the Bears offer sheet is the contract terms). The only thing that matters is what team he will be playing for on that contract, the Bears or the Bills.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Yea. Especially when you factor in the return on a trade. A first and a second? You can grab a really good receiver in the first for a fraction of the price then apply that money elsewhere. Not that Adams and Hill aren't great but you've got a cavalcade of high-end receivers having been drafted in first the few years: Chase, Smith, Brown, Jeudy, Lamb, Jefferson, Higgins, Pittman, Deebo. There's about an equal amount of guys who haven't put up big numbers (yet) but shit, I'd take my chances, especially if I've got a good QB.
You can wait as long as the third round and still get good players with some consistency. At least by the standards for consistency in something as crapshoot as the NFL Draft).

2019 had Diontae Johnson and Terry McLaurin, 2020 had Bryan Edwards, 2021 had Amon-Ra St. Brown...all those guys except St. Brown went in the third round (St. Brown in the fourth). Not all of them are lighting the world on fire but these are pretty quality players, and in the case of McLaurin and Johnson true standouts. I would still advocate or higher picks to be spent on the position but the point is when you balance the risk of third, second or even first round pick against the colossal thirty million plus cap hits the choice is obvious.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Problem is then you get into high levels of guaranteed $.

If a portion of the salary is the guarantee then doesnt matter when you convet to SB as guarantee wont change.

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
It wasn't always this way. The best GM in Bears history - Jim Finks - built the roster from the lines out, except for when he drafted Walter (a move I will never disagree with).
Amen to that! It was so much fun following the Draft back then. Following the making of a SB Team. The way it comes into place piece by piece. I was still watching college football, and knew most of the players being drafted. Now I'm getting my draft knowledge from.......you, the posters.....I haven't followed it in years....I just looked up players AFTER Da Bears drafted them. Sincerely, I want to thank everybody for posting bios & info on draft eligible players. I think I'm entering a "second childhood" in following the draft. ......lol......

Doc..you remember well how it was accomplished....

Payton was Finks' 1st Pick ever in '75........'76 - '79 ...2 OTs, 3 DL. ( 2 No.1s in '79 ) '80 LB, '81 OT........THEN he went more for "skill" positions. imo..... Poles is off on the RIGHT start, not the most POPULAR one for many.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
If a portion of the salary is the guarantee then doesnt matter when you convet to SB as guarantee wont change.
But all the bonus is guaranteed. So you'd have to put a high amount of guaranteed $ in there. Not like this guy is going to get a $20mil deal.

Collins77

Liked Posts:
Poles says we need a change of pace back. I wonder if Barkly could be had for cheap. He's explosive but has been injured.

Clint Eastwood

Liked Posts:
It’s a valid point. But there’s overpaying by a million or two and there’s overpaying by 20 million. Just depends on the level of risk you’re willing to accept.
Overpaying for average talent is giving 6 mil to get a 4 mil player. Overpaying for top talent is giving 30 mil to a 20 mil valued player. Plus the average talent player is young and could become a top talent player. The top talent player is unlikely to get better, and is more likely nearer to his decline if he is even available.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So they're gonna trade Diggs just to sign Bates?
Not buying it
lol that’s not what I said but you can take it however you’d like

If I have to explain this like I’m talking to a three year old… some people are thinking diggs might want more money or to get traded to a team willing to pay him more money. If the latter were to happen (sorry I mean if he were to be traded) the bills may have more room to work with if they want to keep bates and the bears front loaded their offer to him.

Obviously the bills aren’t fucking trading a #1 receiver to sign a back up guard. Jesus Christ people

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea, thats how we all feel a lot at this time of year until we realize that scrub ends up starting
100% lol. Like clockwork.