*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Finished last season and IR and the fact the Dolphins themselves would prefer to keep Albert Wilson to be the number three speaks volumes. Don't think he moves the needle at all.
Albert Wilson is an unrestricted free agent who doesn't really even play the same position.

They have Hill, Cedrick Wilson, and Waddle now and a bunch of huge contracts on the books. I think that explains it more.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Albert Wilson is an unrestricted free agent who doesn't really even play the same position.

They have Hill, Cedrick Wilson, and Waddle now and a bunch of huge contracts on the books. I think that explains it more.

Davante Parker is ok, his best season by far came in 2019. Stat wise, he hasn't really stood out before or since that year.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Add that they used the franchise tag on Mike Gesicki and Parker is/would be option #5 at best.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They cannot do that

In the vast majority of veteran NFL contracts, there are now “automatic conversion” clauses, meaning the team can do this unilaterally without the player signing off. The player gets the cash up front as a bonus, so it’s not exactly the worst thing in the world, but they are doing the team a favor.

It is a standard contract term now and as it doesnt require a player to agree, it doed not represent a modification of the contract is not allowed with RFA until 1 year is up.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
In the vast majority of veteran NFL contracts, there are now “automatic conversion” clauses, meaning the team can do this unilaterally without the player signing off. The player gets the cash up front as a bonus, so it’s not exactly the worst thing in the world, but they are doing the team a favor.

It is a standard contract term now and as it doesnt require a player to agree, it doed not represent a modification of the contract is not allowed with RFA until 1 year is up.
The player has essentially already agreed when they sign the initial contract. So both parties still agree to it.

That said…why would a player ever say no? Instead of having to earn that money over time, it is instead given to them immediately.

Canth

Liked Posts:

I think the question/comment is that the Bills cannot use that mechanism until after agreeing to the exact terms and conditions of the contract as written by the Bears and signed by Bates.

But yeah, once signed, then I think they are allowed to do those sorts of things to free up cap space.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But all the bonus is guaranteed. So you'd have to put a high amount of guaranteed $ in there. Not like this guy is going to get a $20mil deal.

But you dont need to have a high SB or any at all. If you think he deserves say 12m gauranteed then you just guarantee his 1st year salary of 9m of 10m first year salary and give him 3m signing bonus. If you then convert the salary to SB and it is a 3 year contract then his first year cap hit changes from 11m ie 10m + 1m SB to 5m (1m salary, 3m SB that converted from salary and 1m original SB).

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The player has essentially already agreed when they sign the initial contract. So both parties still agree to it.

That said…why would a player ever say no? Instead of having to earn that money over time, it is instead given to them immediately.

I think the question/comment is that the Bills cannot use that mechanism until after agreeing to the exact terms and conditions of the contract as written by the Bears and signed by Bates.

But yeah, once signed, then I think they are allowed to do those sorts of things to free up cap space.

That is the point I am making guys. Because it is embedded in the contract already, it does not violate the RFA rules whereby you can't offer someone a contract and then change the terms for the first year as that would require effectively the player to sign off again. However since this mechanism is in the original contract signed it does not require the player to sign off again.

However from the Bills side, they have to have the cap space to sign the contract as is before they can exercise the automatic conversion feature. So for the Bears we have more than 11m in cap space, we can sign him with an 11m cap hit and then change it so that the cap hit is say 5m. The Bills would have to find the 11m in cap space first and then could only change it once they found the cap space and matched the original terms.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Finished last season and IR and the fact the Dolphins themselves would prefer to keep Albert Wilson to be the number three speaks volumes. Don't think he moves the needle at all.
2023 conditional draft pick.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
2023 conditional draft pick.
I'd be more concerned with his cap hit than what we'd have to give up to get him. Why would I want to spend a significant portion of my cap on a guy who could perhaps be easily replaced by an available free agent who doesn't cost as much? Would I be just as well off if I signed someone like Cole Beasley, Sammy Watkins, A.J. Green, etc?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Wouldn’t he be the #2 on the Bears? ?
Sure, I guess. Is that really what you want though?

Many were up in arms over the Bears giving like twelve and a half million dollars a year to Larry Ogunjobi, I would much much much rather do that than commit almost nine million to DeVante Parker.